I got the Rolling Stones / Hampton Coliseum 1981 DVD

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ShadowCanAm, Feb 5, 2015.

1. ShadowCanAm

ShadowCanAm Member

I got it yesterday at Walmart and I've only seen about half of it. I know this isn't everybody's favorite era for the Stones, but I was in jr.-high when this concert happened and I still remember all of the hype on the local radio stations.
    This was filmed as a pay per view simulcast and directed by Hal Ashby so it has the same " view from the stage" camera angles as Let's Spend The Night Together but it looks way clearer. Cool stuff.

...also, I wasn't expecting the nude/painted girl at the beginning. :eeks :banana

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

To me it an odd period, between the great live act period and we can't let keith near a mic era and we need more samples not cowbell period

3. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I'll always have a soft spot for the '81 tour.
    On a good night they were ferocious.

I've been on a serious Stones jag since the Hampton '81 and L.A. '75 shows were released.

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

It also works as an aerobics workout DVD. Mick could have been huge in the aerobics instructional world :).

5. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I watched the original PPV broadcast back in '81. I have a bootleg copy of the video but have been planning to pick up the official release. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about it.

The Texas '78 DVD is the one that surprised me. That one smokes.

6. Bluesful

Agreed. That Some Girls DVD is second only to Ladies and Gentlemen for me.

7. drewl

drewl Member

I was at the Philly show, JFK stadium.
    Pretty awesome to teenage me at the time.

8. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

It's crazy the transformation they went through considering the 60s weren't that far removed from 1981...

:red

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I saw the show in Chicago and it was awesome. It was the last time (I think) that they essentially went out as a 5 piece band except for 2 sax players and Stu and Ian McLagen on keys. Tattoo You was a great album to tour behind and they played maybe 6 songs from the album. I remember watching this concert on pay per view way back when. I think I enjoyed it.

10. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I saw them in LA at the beginning of the tour and it was ok. Kind of good, not great. The Hampton show was the last of the tour and they had whipped themselves into pretty dang good shape. I remember watching it at a friends house on pay per view. My friends parents were out of town and we where drinking and smoking up a storm. My friend Steve starded miming all of the sax solos on a little saxaphone shaped pipe. You can imagine the laughter. That show is a pretty good memory for me.

11. ShadowCanAm

ShadowCanAm Member

I watched the second half last night. Is it just me or did Mick snort a bunch of coke during his costume change when Keith was singing Little T& A ? He even started rotating the part of the stage with the drums on it by himself. :eeks
    The first half had a nice solid groove to it and then it was like , " HelloVirginiaHelloHamptonCaneverybodyhearmeintheback?Keith,startplayingHonkyTonkWomen"
    :eek:

12. HendrixVibrato

HendrixVibrato Have some experience... Silver Supporting Member

For us hometown boys, it was amazing that they even played the Hampton venue - I mean, maxed out, it is (or at least, was at that time, haven't been in there in a couple decades now) a "full" 10K seater, which for that time was a decent-sized indoor venue, but to have the Stones come there was a *big* deal - even back then before the A+-list acts were routinely filling 50K+ stadiums.

I mean, Hendrix played the Dome in Va. Beach in the 60's, which was actually a *tiny* place basically on the sidewalk (well, it was on a little "plaza" on the sidewalk on Atlantic Ave., but that was de rigeur in the 60's as there were very few large indoor venues compared to today, or even the early 80's. Side note: Jimi actually cracked the ceiling during sound check (friend has pictures & I saw the show - LOUD) at the Dome, and it was *never* repaired correctly - never spent any significant money on even routine upkeep and maintenance on the Dome, let it fall into horrible disrepair, and finally tore it down some years ago. A crying shame, it had a fantastic history of events there, *everyone* played there in the 60's, and would still make a very cool club today.

FYI, pretty much everyone knows Mick's penchant for Bolivian marching powder (and almost everyone else in that day as well of course), though not having seen the DVD, don't know about that particular scene.

Hendrix at the Dome, the Stones at Hampton - those were the days.

13. monty

monty Member

Thanks for the rec op, I just grabbed it and watched awesome show.
    Keef nailing that guy with his Tele was wacked. Happy birthday!

14. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

I am about halfway thru an un-authorized Jagger biography and one revelation is that his father was a physical fitness teacher and exercise freak; Jagger grew up like that, and has never really gone away from a fairly serious exercise regimen.

There are all kinds of stories of Jagger showing up to stadiums early in the day before the Stones appearance, so he can run endless laps around the arena.

15. loudboy

loudboy Member

There was a great series on PBS where they showed these huge events, right up to the beginning.

One was The Stone show on the beach in Brazil. At the hotel, they had the majority of a floor blocked off, so Mick could run his warmups.

16. dazco

dazco Member

I saw them in L.A. at the coliseum here and it was a circus with George Thuroughgood, Price, (B4 anyone knew of him...he got boo'd off the stage) and J geils opening for them. Was this the lineup thru the whole tour and on that DVD too?

17. Bluesful

That doesn't surprise me.

18. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I saw them in 81 in Phoenix and they put on a great show after keeping the crowd waiting for hours. Thorogood opened and he was smokin' that night, too bad the Stones kept us waiting so long in between, my wife will not attend another Stones show to this day.

19. tele1951

tele1951 Silver Supporting Member

I need to get the Hampton show.

I was at the '78 "Some Girls in Texas" show. Love that DVD!!

20. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

When I saw them on this tour The Stray Cats opened along with a regional band named Lamont Cranston Band.