I got to play a Soldano Lucky 13 yesterday

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Mar 16, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

What a freakin' great amp. It was like the best of both worlds. Fantastic clean and rockin' lead tone. You don't hear much about Soldano on this forum too often.

2. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

I would like to hear that amp sometime. I liked the fact that it has reverb.

Did the clean and crunch remind you of any other amps?

3. morgan

morgan Guest

I had one of those a few years back when they first came out. The clean was to die for, twin-ish, super clean, very little breakup. I loved it. The overdrive side left me wanting more. The "soldano sizzle" ultimately doomed the amp for me, although later on i learned i could have had it modded to get rid of that. It was a great wide open gain, fendery but grittier, more raw. But I just couldn't get over that buzzy bit that was part of the tone. Nice amp overall and very reliable. I did a ton of shows with it that year.

4. p.snail

I didn't notice a buzzy quality to it. I though it was pretty ballsy. I didn't spend as much time with it as you did though so maybe I wasn't really listening for it. I just thought it was really a great all in one amp. It's so rare you find a Channel switcher were both channels are great.

5. morgan

morgan Guest

In the store I didn't hear the buzz, it wasn't until i got it home and at volume that it came out. The buzz wasn't a bad thing, it's part of the tone, like the slo has as well. It's just not my thing. But man, the clean channel on it is to die for.

6. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Morgan~

WHat mod are we talking about? I'd be curious to know...
    P.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yeah, like many people, I enjoyed the cleans but could not appreciate the drive. I bet modded it's a fire-breathing beast!

8. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

there's a treble bypass cap on the gain pot (like we use on guitars a lot of the time to keep the topend response there when you roll the volume down) that you get rid of by either:

a) clipping one of the leads and moving it out of the way
    b) removing it
    c) installing a mini switch to put it in or out of the circuit

I had a HR50 years ago and did this... it's also called the "warren haynes" mod

basically makes the top end smoother

9. p.snail

I always wondered what they were talking about when I saw SLO with the Haynes Mod. Seems like Soldano constantly mods his own amps. I wonder why he doesn't just incorporate those mods as stock. As the design improves you would think it would become standard.

10. morgan

morgan Guest

I think Trace at voodoo amps can do the mod as well, that's where I heard it from, IIRC.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

If the mod is what Charles Coker above described, anyone and his little brother could do the mod! Are you talking about clipping a capacitor or doing a mod? (I love how the 'warren Haynes mod is clipping a cap!!!!!)

ERIC

12. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Had a black tolex Lucky 13 combo. Awesome amp. That's one I shoulda' hung on to...:rolleyes:

13. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Mr. Coker was kind enough to give me that mod about 12 years ago and it changed my HR50+ froma buzzy thin thing to the most wonderful amp. (thanks again Charles!)

But I seem to remember their being two Soldano mods. a "deep" mod and the WH mod.

14. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not everybody wants them. They were used years after the original SLO design. My SLO is 17 years old and I think it sounds exceptional sans mods.

15. Ferrari-Dude

Ferrari-Dude Member

I owned a HotRod 50+ (in purple!) and it was a great amp. My band used to tease me and call it Barney, until they heard it...then they told me it was too loud and I had to turn it down.

The clean channel was really fat sounding, so much so that I had to dial down the bass control a bit.

And of course, the lead channel was absolutely SMOKIN'. I personally haven't heard a lead channel that sounds anywhere as clear and hot as the one is a Soldano.

Having said that, I'd probably want that mod on the amp as it would be nice in terms of flexibility. The chainsaw buzz could wear on you after playing it for a while.

16. Jim S

17. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have been using the Soldano X88R preamp (three independent channels and I have the WH mod) for 10 years now, always through a VHT 292 (that Soldano recommended) and its been absolutely amazing and remarkably reliable -- I use it with Telefunkens and the only trouble I have had was with one going on me.

I get amazing lead and crunch out of it and very nice clean -- not buzzy -- just clear, touch sensitive and reliable bloom -- it sounds great with an amazing assortment of cabs and speaker choices -- I love it:)

Their customer support is fantastic.

18. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Here is another option you guys can try.

I tried the WH mod on my SLO100 and thought it got a little to dark.

So my tech, John Nau, suggested we try different value caps until I found one I liked.

19. Jim S

20. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

Is $1200 a reasonable price for a 9/10 100W 2x12 combo...seems so to me...