I got to play the Alessandro English......I'm in love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Jan 26, 2008.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

First I'd like to thank TGP member Joan for bringing her English and matching 2x12 cab with blues to my studio today. She's a class act.

The amp and cab are black with lovely wood grain showing through. The head is very well made and solid, but not too heavy, as was the cab. I could easily carry both into a room or club. It also has the Black Gate filter caps and Audioquest silver wire.

I plugged the amp in and waited while it warmed up. I grabbed my Les Paul Studio and turned her on. I was greeted with the warmest, roundest clean tone I've ever heard. Very AC30 like, but doing it's own thing, if that makes sense. And talk about chime!!! I've never heard my Les Paul sound like that. Just huge. The tone controls are very interactive and small adjustments yielded big results. Increasing the volume on the amp took me into a sweet overdrive that sounded like early Led Zep, but with that unmistakable Vox like chime. Just beautiful. And when I turned guitar volume down, it cleaned up beautifully. I have never played an amp that responds to pick attack and volume changes like this amp. It also can really put out some serious bottom. I didn't have my V30 loaded cab available, but I can see this head sounding awesome through it. With the blues, I had to keep the bass at about 9-10 o'clock to keep the speakers from farting out.

I plugged in my Bad Monkey set for boost and it sounded amazing, but I noticed that the character of the amp changed, even when it was bypassed. I can see that if I buy one of these, I'll have to invest in some transparent effects. The English is really sensitive to effects, guitars, etc.

I unplugged the Bad Monkey and picked up my Custom Shop ESP Eclipse with Dimarzio Virtual PAF Hot. I was floored at how great it sounded. Very different than the Les Paul. This guitar is very resonate and clean it almost sounded like a P-90 or hot Strat. As the gain was increased, the sound got thicker and richer, but still maintained note separation and dynamics. By just using the volume knob, I was able to go from pristine clean to instant crunch. Not over the top grind, but very sweet and dare I say vintage sounding.

I recorded several takes while checking the amp out and will post them shortly.

I have got to have this amp. It's alot different than my Tone Cat, which is still in the shop unfortunately, so I couldn't compare the 2. All told, the English is much more complex than the Tone Cat, but I can see owning them both as they do different things.

I wanna thank Joan again for letting me check out her English. It was a pleasure to meet her. When I get the Bad Cat back and my Diezel cab I'm gonna invite her back over so we can do some cab and head swapping. Should be fun.

Peace and hair grease,

Jamal

2. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Nice review, can't wait to hear some clips!

3. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

same here. I'm a big fan of this type of circuit, but I've never heard an Allesandro (they're as rare as hens-teeth). Post some clips and fuel some new GAS! I haven't had any in a looooooong time.:roll

4. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I have a client working in the studio at the moment, so I'll try and get clips up later tonight.

I think alot of you will end up with G.A.S. when you hear this. It sounded so good, I started to sweat.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Now you know about Alessandro....They are just amazing amps....For OD pedals, my Redbone Special sounds just helacious with a Jetter GSR or a Mosferatu

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I love those Alessandro amps, the chime is just unmatched, but boy . they are loud!!

7. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I really didn't find the English to be that loud. once I got past 12 o'clock, it just got more compressed and creamier with conciderably more overdrive. The thing I really liked is that when it was cranked, it didn't bother my ears like some amps. I'm sure the blues had alot to do with that though.

I may have a lead on a used one, but now I gotta come up with the money...........

8. glman

glman Member

here's some clips of my English if you're intrested.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=508391

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

tasty...

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The English, and especially its younger sibling, the Beagle, are my favorites out of George's line of fine-sounding amps!

11. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

Clips don't tell the story of these wonderful amps. When I first heard them, I was underwhelmed. I kept coming back, because I was hearing details that I had never heard before. For me, they are a high-def sound that I greatly enjoy.

13. cnardone

cnardone Member

George builds a fine amp. If you get the chance, you need to hear the Black n Tan as well.

14. lifeson1

lifeson1 Member

realy great nuances underneath everything. Can't get enough! THANKS FOR THE CLIPS.

15. glman

glman Member

Thanx - I've written up lots of stuff about the English - it took some getting used to initially as I come from a dual rec/Marshall background and the feel of the English threw me a bit - I wasn't feeling/hearing what I was used to - This is not a Hard rock amp - it needs a bit of finesse and it's very fast to respond to one's touch. there's no massive gain to hide behind although with the vol maxed it gets plenty of gain - more than most people would need.

Now that I understand what a guitar vol was designed to do and now that I have an amp that understands this too I find that i hardly ever use anything else other that my English.
    The guitar volume plays a big part in the tone of the amp.
    vol 1-4 clean
    5-6 hairy
    6-7 warm OD
    7-9 Thick warm / darkish OD
    10 - brighter sizzling OD but still thick and articualet/touch sensitive.
    Remember with guit vol 7 and less when picking softly the sound cleans up really well.

The Alessandro English is easily " The Best " amp I've ever played to date.
    I absolutely love plugging in and losing track of time. -it's that good!!!!
    the simplicity allows you to stop fiddling endlessly looking for that magical tone zone . the tone of this amp is magical at any volume anytime - the only thing you worry about is your guitar volume knob and your playing - the amp takes care of the sound - and the beauty of it all is that it's really easy to dial in!!
    George has built a fantastic tool that deserves everything good that anyone has ever said about his amps!!!!!

16. glman

glman Member

no prob - it's always nice to hear others agreeing with what you like!

17. coxswain

coxswain Member

How much are these amps?

18. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

19. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I had a blast with Jamal and his friends, listening to him play through a bunch of sounds and styles. No matter what he did, everything sounded great and it was great fun hearing my amp cranked up a bit. I went home & played and did not sound at all like him! And, while the English has some stunning and unique sounds (for me, the low notes have such character), I may be leaning away from the EL84s. Thanks, Jamal, for a very fun afternoon!

20. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hey Jamal,
    What about them clips?