• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I got to play the Alessandro English......I'm in love

glman

I had a blast with Jamal and his friends, listening to him play through a bunch of sounds and styles. No matter what he did, everything sounded great and it was great fun hearing my amp cranked up a bit. I went home & played and did not sound at all like him! And, while the English has some stunning and unique sounds (for me, the low notes have such character), I may be leaning away from the EL84s. Thanks, Jamal, for a very fun afternoon!
just a note - I'm sure you're aware of this but here goes!
Every time I start thinking that my English is not sounding as good as I think it should I put in a new set of EL84's -
I find that this amp goes through tubes pretty quick and to keep it sounding it's best you need two really good/quiet RCA 5691's - the older blackplate ones from the 50's
I find that if I play a few hours everyday that I need to change output tubes every 3-4 months when using JJ's
i'm currently using the quad of Sovtek's that it shipped with and surprisingly the amp is so good that it sounds just great - even with the sovtek's.
this is one amp that I'll NEVER EVER Sell.
if you sell your amp I think you're going to miss it down the line and want to get another - and remember - no more black gate caps !

Last edited:

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I just sold it to a TGPer - so the regret hasn't set in yet. But I've got my Black 'n Tan (with Black Gates) to console me. And I'm looking forward to experimenting with the EL34 / 6L6 / KT66s. Yes, people should be aware the Black Gate caps are no longer available and George considers this a big deal.

glman: Thanks for all the informative posts about the English, tubes, etc. Now please send me your amp room pronto.

glman

I just sold it to a TGPer - so the regret hasn't set in yet. But I've got my Black 'n Tan (with Black Gates) to console me. And I'm looking forward to experimenting with the EL34 / 6L6 / KT66s. Yes, people should be aware the Black Gate caps are no longer available and George considers this a big deal.

glman: Thanks for all the informative posts about the English, tubes, etc. Now please send me your amp room pronto.
amp room is in the mail - fedex !!
black n Tan is great I'm sure but if it's anything like the bluetick ( which i think it is ) I'm guessing you're going to regret selling the English sometime down the line - Alessandro amps are something that should be kept for life - it's like selling a natural blond 59 LP for a cherry sunburst 59 LP - keep them both.
The only time I'm selling any Alessandro is if I'm in dire straights otherwise these amps are staying permanently - FOREVER.

Again - anyone who has an English and feels its not sounding great follow this advice
go out and spend some good money on a pair of " quiet tested " RCA 5691 blackplate tubes and a well matched quartet of JJ EL84's ( or better ) - drop them into the English - let her warm up for 5 min and then fire her up and Then decide if it's a great amp or not.

Last edited:

Trending Topics