I got to see Tom Harrell at the Village Vanguard

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by STRATSofPLENTY, Apr 6, 2015.

1. STRATSofPLENTY

STRATSofPLENTY Supporting Member

I went to the Village Vanguard in NYC on Saturday and got to see the legendary Tom Harrell. for those of you that don't know, he's a trumpet player. I had no idea he had such a debilitating disease (paranoid schizophrenia) I was in awe of his playing and I now have to buy a few his albums.

What an amazing person and musician!

2. stark

stark Supporting Member

I've seen him more than once at the Vanguard. Just the greatest.

3. parker

parker Member

Been a Harrell fan for many years, I wish I could have seen him there! Gotta catch him live one day... btw, the links not working for me.

4. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

A musical hero and one of my favourite all time musicians since learning about him and his music from a Trumpet player and friend at Humber College in 1990.

I almost lost my mind, when by coincidence, I say a local poster stating that he was performing at a tiny Jazz club just up the street from me in Vancouver. I went to both sets, got a CD signed and got to see one of the greatest Jazz improvisers and composers of all time IMHO.

5. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

I've been a TH fan since I saw him at a small club on LI back in the 1970s.
    He had a band with a trombone player he met while they were both in a mental hospital on LI.
    They did a song called "Pilgrim's Progress", in honor of the mental hospital, Pilgrim State Psychiatric Hospital, that they were both recently released from.

I spoke with him after the gig, and we both shared our enthusiasm for Marvin "Hannibal" Petersen, the trumpet player with Gil Evans back then.