I got your slide guitar lesson right here!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by kimock, Sep 18, 2006.

1. kimock

kimock Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk_0N85wNk Check out his right hand, the balance between drawing the sound from the instrument and muting. Some pick blocking when he's crossing strings as would be expected, but the way he just shuts those strings off to punctuate the melody........genius.........anybody else have anything to offer by way of example on the subject of right or left hand muting on steel, bottleneck slide guitar etc? The better you get at it the less the listener notices...I guess at some level it just becomes invisible. In the example above, it becomes magic.

guitrr likes this.
  2. JimiB

JimiB Member

Are those harmonics that he's sliding on the really high notes.
    Man thats bad ass!

3. ronin32

ronin32 Member

What a good song.

4. gennation

gennation Member

Very cool. Man, I LOVE that song too.

5. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, carrying some harmonics around on that bar. I had to play the video back a few times to even catch the move and it's still hard to see. I always wanted the guitar that he was playing on the cover of that Sleepwalk album. I had myself convinced that his sound could only have come from the #3 (back) neck on a long scale Stringmaster. In the video he's playing a short scale Custom on the front neck! What a beautiful, pure sound he made. I wonder what the amp was sometimes as well, but I'm not sure how much it would have really mattered. If you can't play it doesn't matter what kind of amp you use, and if you can play--it doesn't matter what kind of amp you use........

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

now that was some hip steel!!!

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

By god, I want one of those guitars. Had to sell a two-neck, short scale Stringmaster due to cash crunch a couple years ago. Still bothers me. Those console fenders radiate soul. You don't even have to play them. They're beyond cool just sitting there.