I gotta say..ZVEX......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gainiac, Sep 27, 2006.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I haven't gotten around to perusing the video demo's on the Z-VEX site until today...........

First of all, the videos are hysterical. I felt like a kid in a candy-store.

I'm thinkin' Machine + Wah Probe + Fuzz Probe........

Couple of questions for those of you with experience.....

What "wah" would you say the Wah Probe is akin too??

Is their any kind of proximity effect when two probes are adjacent to each other?

What about RF interference?

Will any "substances" like aluminum foil wrapped around yer foot "enhance" the probes effect?

2. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

the wah probe is more like a synth-wah,... but it is not a synth-wah if you understand what i mean. ;)

the range is somewhat near to a colorsound and it is a great wah pedal!

3. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Those videos need a warning saying how freaking gas inducing they are. Way back I watched the LoFi video and damn if I find that I had unconsciously opened my wallet and pulled my credit card out before the end of the damn thing. :jo Great pedals thought I I don't regret the purchase at all.

4. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

My Zvex pedals are the most fun :)
    I feel like a Zvex junkie....

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, first... the Wah Probe's RF arc can be adjusted from about 5-6 inches above (ball park) or so close to the copper plate it's unusable. In other words it can be adjusted. Sounds like yours needs adjustment. The factory setting that I've encounted doesn't suit *normal* wah like reaction, but I have mine set (and have adjusted others) to have a smaller arc where I move my foot in an almost normal wah motion. Therefore I use mine just like a normal wah.

And how it works, it senses the water in your blood. Therefore, set correctly it actually reacts TOO QUICKLY when you're bare foot or just in socks. It reacts best when wearing normal shoes.

Regarding it's tone, it can get a little brighter than other wahs cause to me, it's sweep is not as midrangey as a normal wah. But IMO has a great tone. It has to be one of the most unique pedals made, period. :RoCkIn

6. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

+1 on that. I'm a total Zvex fan. I have the Ooh Wah 2, Box of Rock (kick ass!!!), and the Fuzz Factory. their small, sound great, and look killer. Couldnt ask for anything more.

7. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Hey Marty,

Yeah, Z is a madman. The machine is a noisy beast and very cool. The Crowther Prunes-n-Custard is in that hood, too, with a Kiwi twist (you can borrow, mine ifn ya wanna). I had a first generation trem probe (with the coiled antenna instead of the copper plate) and it was neato. BTW, the little stereo tube amp Z makes for ipods and computers is great. I love mine.

Z is cool.

8. DavidH

DavidH Member

I have an OohWah2 which has the same filter and it's a really cool filter.Only reserve i have about the wah probe is how comfortable it might be to use without a rocker to lean on,if you see what i mean.Might get a sore calf after a while holding your foot up.There's no other wah that will get the sound though.

The thing that has me sold on zvex stuff is the Nano head:AOK ,incredibly sweet sounding amp,very touchy-feely,pure vintage tone.i doubt you can beat it for tone at household volumes (tv watching,stereo listening volumes).I reckon everyone should have several,i use it more than my Mojave.

The OOhWah is up for sale incidently(in the UK/Europe),i'm overhauling my board somewhat.

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've had (at one time) an Octane 3, Lo-Fi Loop Junky, SuperDuper2n1, SeekTrem, & OohWah2, and loved them all! All that's left is the SeekTrem & OohWah2 - the others just didn't suit my purposes at the moment. When I get the $$ to spare, I'd like to own ALL of 'em! ZVex makes the coolest, most unique pedals out there. If you want a gnarly octave fuzz, the Octane 3 is the king of the hill!

10. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

The Box of Rock is kind of a weird pedal in the lineup as it's the closest to a "normal" pedal...notice there aren't any TS808 knockoffs or chorus or delay or metal pedals. Kind of cool that he's doing something different.

Although I'd love to hear his take on a TS808!

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Im hooked on ZVex...his pedals are amazing, Id like to have each one. It all started with a super duper 2 in 1 about a year or so ago, then it moved onto the limited edition orange sparkle fuzz factory :D, and now to the box of rock!!!...I find myself wanting an ooh wah 2 and machine now, and I must have them!!! (ooh wah first!) and I also reallllllyyyy want the nano head and ringtone! I dont know whats more addictive. Zvex or BJF or Skreddy. Thankfully Skreddy only makes 4 pedals at the moment and are fairly priced!

12. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Thanks for the offer Doc.......!!!

I tried the "Machine" out locally and it's just a gas...I LOVE crossover distortion, what a great way to nuke your sound. I'm sold on it. I need to get down to 30th St. to check out the various probes.......

13. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Yup, must be subliminal mind control messages going on!!! I swear to god that if I had the billfold to spare I think I'd order almost every single pedal. They're all so uniquely musical.