I gotta tell ya.......What do you think?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Denny, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I just got a new Epiphone 335 Dot Studio in worn brown. Now.... before you start slamming it - let me tell you - I've been playing guitar for over 45 years! I own a McCarty, a custom G&L Comanche, a G&L ASAT special - a Paisley Tele and a Martin J-15, a Mesa Nomad and Budda Superdrive II 18 watt, 1x12. This guitar is excellent - and for under $300.00 (plus case) - I just can't believe it. fit, finish, wood, tone - it's all there. The tolerances on the hardware (bridge and tailpiece) isn't great - but that is easily fixed with teflon tape around the studs. Even the tuners are excellent. And all this coming from China - remember whe Ibanez first began building guitars to compete with Fender and Gibson? - Looks to me like china is giving everyone a run for the money! The Studio is a stripped-down 335 dot. What I really like is that it has only one volume and one tone control and that the jack is on the side (edge) of the guitar, not on the top. They seemed to have skipped the final polishing on the frets - this too is easily fixed even if someone can't do it themselves. The frets are beautifully set, leveled and crowned - no sharp edges - intonation is great. If you get a chance to play/get one - do it. The pups are as good as my diMarzio PAF's are - honestly (sorry ron). and you should see the CASE!! Holy cow Batman - it's a work of art!! and for $65.00 - I wish I had one to fit my PRS!

So what do you guys think?

Denny

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Denny,

We Need some pics! Sounds like a great deal. Especially with good tuners:AOK ! Something the Epiphones and Ibanez have some problems with.

I did something similar a few days ago. I was playing an ES335 in GC the other day because I've been interested in a semi-hollow body for a while. But I ended up buying an Ibanez AS83 instead - the tuners on it are poo but are being replaced with Gotoh's.

Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack your thread:(

3. Denny

Denny Member

I have no idea how to post pix here. If someone could explain in detail ho - I'll post them or I can email them to someone who can do it easily.

dbonanzam@pshift.com

Denny

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

I got a regular Epi Dot, not the studio. At first, was unimpressed, except for the body, some nice work there. Since then, replaced the nut, tuners, and had some fret work done. Now I got a couple high order pups coming in a couple weeks, once that is done, should be a amazing guitar for less than half the price of the 335.

5. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Denny,

You can create an account at photobucket. www.photobucket.com

It's an image hosting site. Then copy the IMG tag from photobucket, into your post on here by clicking the insert image icon on your post/reply (it looks like a postcard of a mountain, with a yellow backgroud) and paste the image tag from the photobucket site and that should do it.

6. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I had one, that I bought back in '99, that was killer. Sold it off, along with a pretty sweet MIM Strat in a fit of "sell off all my 'cheap' gear", when I started buying 'quality' gear. Great guitar.

Cheap guitar related- just got a Hamer Scarab XT (made in China) today that KILLS! Out of the box, the set up, fret work, fit/finish, et al. were spot on. Plays great, sounds very good for $290, shipped, with hardshell case. Who'da thunk it?

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

I totally understand, that's why my Epiphone Sorrento hangs beside my American Deluxe V-Neck Strat. It's a wonderful guitar, feels and plays very well. Many that come over and play it give a surprised look and really like it.

(sorry for size, only pic I can find at the moment of my Sorrento)

[​IMG]

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I dig the color on your walls! Good choice.

My Strat looks strangely similar.......

[​IMG]

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks, I'd paint the whole house that color if the wife would let me.