I guess "bassist looking for funk band" is synonymous with "bass looking for 70s British rock band"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cantstoplt021, Apr 22, 2016.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for a funk band to play bass in. Some guy got back to me and we arranged a time to jam. He told me two tunes to learn, one a meters song and another a cream song, which I found weird, but I learned them anyway. I show up today and it turns out they don't know the meters tune, but they know the cream song. I guess for next time we're supposed to learn a cream song, a strokes song and another British rock song... I don't think I'll be at the next practice. "I feel like I was kind of deceitful, since you were looking for a funk band." Yes, yes you were.

chopsley, derekd and Turi like this.
  2. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Classic rock and the major 7th chord; the twain shall never meet.

JiveTurkey and A-Bone like this.
  3. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

"Play it funky, like Jack Bruce." :jo

MrLahey, JilaX^, John 14:6 and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Sounds like these cat's haven't a clue of what Funk is ...
    Of course the Meters are funky, but in their own way ...
    It's a New Orleans style of 2nd line Funky which is really different than straight up funk (IMO)
    (Always surprised that a lot of folk don't get that ...)

5. Turi

Turi Member

That's hilarious.
    I have to do that to someone.

hereandgone18, JiveTurkey and derekd like this.
  6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Been having similar problem but from the band end. Bass players who don't read the ad, Where did you get the idea we do A SIDE OF 2112 we are a British 60's Blues rock band

7. JilaX^

JilaX^ Member

Not all funk sounds like The Meters, but The Meters are definitely funk.

Lucidology likes this.
  8. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I've had similar experiences with Craigslist - a couple of years ago, I was putting together a cover band to play power pop from the 70's-80's - the ad spelled out very clearly what kinds of songs I wanted to play and specifically stated that I did not want to play any classic rock. The first response I got was from a guy who was very interested, loved the songs I picked, but was hoping we could do more classic rock . . . o_O Then I got an e-mail from a guy who wanted me to play in his reggae/funk band . . . :eek:

I think it's just very hard (especially for old fogies like me) to find musicians, so they just contact everyone hoping that they'll be flexible enough to do something other than what they say they want to do.

MrLahey likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

That's like answering an ad for a classic rock band and they are all playing death metal.

Some sort of disconnect somewhere that is likely to reappear when it comes time to get paid for gigs.

A-Bone and MrLahey like this.
  10. stevel

stevel Member

OP, this is totally your fault.

You should have asked a lot of questions.

Because this is exactly what you're going to get from musicians if you don't.

I made a very specific ad, and I *still* get people with off the wall things. And you have to weed them out because they're not going to be taking things seriously. And they're looking for people, let's say, "naive" enough to "come over and jam" and learn a bunch of songs for next week when they're not even gigging or have the potential to gig.

If you don't seek people with their act together, this is what you're going to get. And if you don't have your act together, it's what you deserve.

11. thejbs

thejbs Member

I've had similar experiences with CL.

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

If I was advertising for a funk gig and the people answered with a Cream song, I'd have been done right there.

However things can be done in different genres, but nobody would call this classic British rock.

A-Bone likes this.
  13. RLD

RLD Member

I've had a few CL experiences where I was told to have certain songs ready and then the band didn't know them.
    Needless to say I was auditioning them as well and that is a fail in my book.