I had never heard of Status Quo until last Friday!

skydog

Supporting Member
I can believe that as they were pretty much one hit wonders that struck during that fuzz toned psychedelia era.

Mark White

I enjoyed them as a kid. ISTR having a live concert on theirs on tape that was superb. Started with Sweet Caroline and that's all I remember about it. Kinda moved on from them around late teens I think.

Iconic stuff in the UK for that era.

spaceman39

Don’t know much about them, but the late Rick Parfitt appeared to live quite the life. My Irish wife loves to read UK scandal sheets like Hello and OK magazine. A few times Rick was featured and he surely led the “good life”. Good for him!

Spider Mark

60 chart hits in the UK, their "40 Years of Hits" is a double CD ...

One hit wonders? Heard one herd 'em all? That's a lot of all to have heard!

The Pup

Supporting Member
Don’t know much about them, but the late Rick Parfitt appeared to live quite the life. My Irish wife loves to read UK scandal sheets like Hello and OK magazine. A few times Rick was featured and he surely led the “good life”. Good for him!
In 2006 Parfitt released his guitar refacing overlay invention, the "guitar facelift", which was licensed by guitar manufacturer Fender.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Parfitt

PierreL

Supporting Member
They were quite popular in France in the 70's and 80's, used to fill 5000 seaters.
I have seen them in the late 80's and almost felt asleep at some point, as they don't have much variation in their music.

Badstrat

Silver Supporting Member
Status Quo are an English boogie rock band that formed in 1962. The group originated in The Spectres and was founded by Francis Rossi and Alan Lancaster, while they were still schoolboys.[1] After a number of lineup changes, which included the introduction of Rick Parfitt in 1967, the band became The Status Quo in 1967 and Status Quo in 1969.

Background information
Status Quo
Rick Parfitt (left) and Francis Rossi performing in 2015
Rick Parfitt (left) and Francis Rossiperforming in 2015
Also known asThe Scorpions (1962–1963)
The Spectres (1963–1967)
Traffic Jam (1967)
The Status Quo (1967–1969)
Status Quo (1969–present)
OriginLondon, England
GenresHard rock, rock and roll, boogie rock, psychedelic rock (early)
Years active1962–present
Labels
Associated acts
Websitestatusquo.co.uk
Members
Past membersSee: Personnel
For other uses, see Status Quo (disambiguation).
They have had over 60 chart hits in the UK, more than any other rock band,[2] including "Rockin' All Over the World", "Whatever You Want" and "In the Army Now". Twenty-two of these reached the Top 10 in the UK Singles Chart. In July 1985 the band opened Live Aid at Wembley Stadium with "Rockin' All Over the World".[3] In 1991, Status Quo received a Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.[4]

Status Quo appeared on the BBC’s Top of the Pops more than any other band.[5] They have released over 100 singles and 33 albums, many of which were best-sellers. Since reaching number 5 on the UK albums chart in 1972 with Piledriver, Status Quo have gone on to achieve a career total of 25 UK top ten albums, extending all the way up to their most recent release, Backbone, in 2019.

johnh

As someone who lives in the UK, I had to check to see if it was a joke when any guitarist says they never heard of Status Quo. But i guess it’s no different than when folks in the US rave about a band that I’ve hardly heard of over here.

On this side of the Atlantic, Status Quo are a household name. I’m not entering the debate about the quality of their music, or their musicianship, but in the UK they’re extremely well known.

Trending Topics