I had some nice cabs on CL.... and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrt, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mrt

mrt Member

I had 2 marshall 1960 Vintage cabs on craigslist... For really cheap. I was selling both the bottom and the top cab for 600 or 300 each.

So 1 guy asked if I could meet him half way on the E way,(about a half hour) I said yes. but only if you have the cash, he said he did.

So when I got there he said. sorry man... I all I got is 250 because I had to get gas:FM:FM:FM Im like WTF!!! I drive all the out here and you dont have the money????? WTF!!!!

So I got home pissed as anything, some kid called on the way home, he said he wants both, He came over my house, So he offers me 400 bucks????

Do people not understand a deal when they see one?

I could see if the cabs were ripped or beat???? but there mint!!! there not even broke in!!

Sorry had to vent

2. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to Craigslist. For every real buyer there are 10 retarded deadbeats. A friend pointed out something funny - they say put something on Craigslist for $5, and there will be someone at your house within 10 minutes.

3. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

You absolutely have to stress the fact that the price is firm in your ad and there is no way you'll take a dollar less. If you don't be prepared to get low-balled to no end. Craigslist is an online garage sale full of flakey tire-kickers. I've sold tons of stuff on there but I agree with the above post that only 1 in 10 people will be a serious buyer...

4. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I've been pretty lucky w/ Craigslist both as buyer and seller and fortunately haven't experienced this. Given the price of gas today, I'd tack on a fuel surcharge if I had to bring my stuff and meet somewhere!!

5. sinner

sinner Member

Come to Santa Monica and I'll take them (one at least!) I'll even buy you dinner before your drive home but gas is on you, sorry!

6. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

truth, do not go out of your way for anyone on craigslist.

7. mrt

mrt Member

yep.. well said...

8. novawind

novawind Member

What a steal man. A guy listed a 1960 cab on my CL a couple weeks ago for $300 and I snatched it up! And this cab isn't even in great cosmetic shape. Honestly, people should be happy. If they got it on eBay it would automatically be $50-$100 more expensive from shipping alone. Hell I would have bought yours.

9. andyc

andyc Member

Yeah, the $ 600 is a steal. I would have bought both at that price and been very grateful!

10. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I've had problems as a buyer on Craigs list!:BITCH
    I check it constantly thru out the day in my local and near by surounding states and have sent e-mail to people saying "I have ammeditate Cash!", (which I do if I contact them) Or "I'll buy it now" and "When can I see the item in person!" (which I am ready to see it at that moment), I also give a contact phone # and tell them to call me or they can leave me a Ph# and I'll give them a call.
    And what happens?!, a lot of the times I receive No responce to my e-mails or I receive a responce several days later saying the item is sold!
    In one case a guy selling an old Ampeg V4 half stack for real cheap in a near by state contacted me after I have sent several e-mails including some basic quetions I wanted answered about the amp and his answer in an e-mail was as follows.... "Sorry but I sold the amp to someone local in town because you said you were from another state and and you acted to "over eager" to buy the amp so I thought you were a "Scam artist".
    WHAT THE F*CK???!!!!!!!!:confused:

11. Structo

Structo Member

I've always been a little leery about advertising on Craigslist.
    For one thing, I don't really want somebody I don't know to come over to my house and "scope out" my gear and stuff.
    On the other hand I don't really want to go and meet somebody I don't know at a location that I may or may not be familiar with.

Call me a cynic but I read about far too many horror stories from robberies to muggings to do it.

There are far to many scam artists around nowadays and with the increasing economical hard times that number is increasing daily.

12. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I'm gonna chime in and disagree.

Craigslist is what it is--a free classified ad. Take it for what it is, be smart, and it's brilliant.

True, there are more lowball offers and scam attempts than say ebay, but hey, it's free.

Always talk to the other party on the phone. ALWAYS. It's much easier to get a sense about someone in a realtime conversation. Just trust your instincts--they're almost always accurate.

13. mrt

mrt Member

I agree 100%...

But Thats not want I was pissed about...

What I was really pissed about driving a 1/2 hour and them him trying to low ball me.... after we agreed on a price.

I dont know about you, but I wouldnt have the balls to do that. On something I know is already priced WAY cheap!!!!

14. strat94

strat94 Member

Yea, that is messed up. It's one thing to haggle up front but not when it is being DELIVERED.

Maybe next time the pizza delivery guy comes I'll offer him half....because of the price of gas. That makes sense:jo

15. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Hate to say it but it happens everywhere. I sold a pedal here and the guy sent $10.00 less than what we had agreed on via paypal. There was no dispute on how much I was asking. I'm not sure what the mindset is with some people. In my case it was only to bucks so I let it slide but it's hard to figure how people have the balls to assume sellers "won't mind".

16. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Member

Agreed. I saw an ad for a kind of beat up Peavey T-40 bass for $50 one day. I emailed the guy saying 'dude I will buy that from you tonight' and he replied saying 'great'. Then when I get off work and get in touch with him to work out the details, he says it's already been sold. That's a dick move in my opinion!

17. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I stand corrected, this would probably be the only downside thing I've experienced w/ craigslist. Often times, someone will post gear for sale and I'll contact same day and never receive a response back. I'd expect this if it was some flakey, half-a** ad that someone posted. The thing that gets me is this happens w/ ads that someone went to the trouble of putting together a decent ad, uploading pictures, etc.

18. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Buy and sell all the time on craigslist with zero problems. How can that be you ask????!!! I don't expect anybody to hold anything for me nor will I for them (unless I know ya of course) Too damn many flakes,lowballers etc,etc. Nothin personal..just biz and I totally understand the "A bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush" thing and I wished more people did...