i hate asking this...but...clean boost??? help!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamiefbolton, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

Ok...please read on!

Yes, another person asking for help in selecting a clean boost...so...please lend me you expert advice...

Here is a little info to get you started:
    Right now I run a TS and Box of Rock(BOR) for overdrives....I'm kinda getting tired of the TS, so I want to place a clean boost or two in front of the BOR instead....I'd like a clean boost that has two selectable gains/levels....maybe the Super Duper 2 in 1....???

But I had a SHO and it was a little glassy ( if that makes sense)...is the 2in1 that same deal, glassy....

Or do I buy two independent boosts....??

how 'bout a little insight....

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

SD2in1 is equally glassy, but you can tame it a little with the MV side I suppose, but that kind of negates having the two boosts. I'd suggest the Keeley Katana, much warmer than the SHO and you can use the pull-out pot to get some grit when you need it.

3. flogstrat

flogstrat Member

Take a look at the Barge Concepts DB-3. It has a buffer, effects loop, plus 2 clean boost stages with 25 db boost.
    I just got one last week, and I am still checking it out. At first I thought it was adding brightness - then I compared it to going direct with the shortest cable I have, and I realized it was actually allowing the true tone through because of the buffer.

Each stage has Volume and Gain controls; adding some gain seems to be helping my Strat sustain better. So far I really like it. Check it out at:

http://www.bargeconcepts.com

Dave

4. minjason

minjason Member

i would recommend the psionic audio triad, which has two boost stages AND an effects loop that you can run in parallel or series modes. you should definitely check out the clips on the psionic audio website.

i've also had great results using a timmy as a clean boost...really transparent pedal that'll let you dial in your desired eq and some grit if you want it.

5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Check out the Prescription Electronics Germ. I've used one for years. It has a clean side and a dirty side, but the dirty side isn't overtly dirty (and gets spitty if you crank it too hard). The dirty side is GREAT for stacking with other overdrives! And the clean buffer is so good that I simply never turn it off.

6. coreybox

coreybox Member

Do you like the boost side of the BOR? You could buy another and run the OD side with the gain all the way down.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

The only Booster I like is the Xotic "RC Booster" - it's very musical, somehow.
    Beware: any booster turned way up will morph into an overdrive (even just the level).
    Use judiciously to avoid disappointment.

Best, Pete.

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Keeley Katana is great! I really like this pedal a lot. It will give you a nice clean boost, or you can pull the volume knob up to engage a very nice boost with a bit of grit to it. It pushes pedals realy nice, and has enough grunt to it to really push the tubes.
    Best Regards!

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Maybe a Texas Deuce from OceanEFX? Its a 2 switch box. Dirt and boost in one pedal. I bet you could make it work for you.

I use the Bullet Boost and think its a great boost.