I Hate Cubase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Jul 28, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I was all proud of myself, because I pretty much finished one of my songs today on Cubase. All I had to do was redo a solo, master it and I was done. Well right before I was about to transfer it over into Sound Forge so I could master it, for some unknown reason half of my song was deleted????????????? I couldn't ****in believe it!!! For some reason every audio that was after the last marker was cut off. There's the beginning marker and the ending one. It happen at the ending one. Has this ever happen to any of you??? I guess I should be thankful the whole song wasn't deleted, but GOOD GOD that ***** annoying!!! This is a major shot in the dark, but is there any way to retrieve what was deleted? Thanks

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Doesn't everyone?

I don't rememebr enough about it to be able to say. Once I got Pro Tools I tried to forget everything. Look in your audio files folder, see if there's anything in there.

3. joseph

joseph Member

Open up the "Pool" and see if there are files in the "Trash" folder, and if so try to restore them.

While working on Cubase, it's helpful to regularly and periodically hit the "save" function, just like you used to do with Word processors in earlier versions of Windows to prevent your business/term paper from disappearing.

Just a thought... but if the above step(s) don't help, Save your project BUT with ANOTHER NAME (Save as ________ ver 2, etc) then shut down your computer, and reboot.
    Sometimes the original project will re-appear with it's original name.....and the mutated version will still be there, with the new name. good luck!

4. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

I agree with Joseph, its probably in the pool. Also, are you sure its deleted from the files your looking at? Have you tried manual extending the wav? (dragging out the file)

5. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

6. silot

silot Member

Been working with Cubase/Nuendo for many years now, and only when the hard disk is ready to go, or there's not enough space , problems like that occur...

Anyway, what's you version ?
    Do you use the same computer to access the Internet ?
    Do you use a partition or an extra hdd for the audio files ?
    What's the ram ?
    Do you record from a usb interface while there are many other usb devices (protocols) running ?
    And most important of all .... is there an antivirus installed and running in your computer ?

7. PAF

PAF Member

I hate it too, haven't been able to get used to the interface after having learned (sort of) ProTools. Anyone have any suggestions of a better software choice to use with a Firepod?

8. loudguitarz

loudguitarz Member

The last marker is seen as the end... It won't record past that

9. shoe

shoe Member

You're not recording on the same drive that your OS and Cubase are running on, right?

10. alfonso

alfonso Member

Hi rego,

If you recorded those tracks and you have listened to them in their complete duration, they probably still exist in the hard disk.

Maybe you just exported the multitrack to a stereo file and you found it truncated? that would be normal, because the default export option is "between locators".

Check well, because I'm almost sure you still have your recordings.

:)

11. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I can't help with the problem, but I 'd like to add that I can't stand the interface for Cubase....it's just not musician friendly. Too slow and convoluted for just getting right into laying down tracks. Probably MIDI guys find it logical, but for someone more used to a console and a recorder it's just baffling how the various functions/menus are set up.

Cheers,

Kris

12. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Not musician friendly? Sounds more like you can't get your head around it than anything else. I've sat and watched guys fly through nuendo projects so fast that I can't keep track of what they are doing... The depth of the software alone demands more complexity, im curious as to what you consider "musician friendly" software?

It is the most straight forward and simply software to use if you actually learn how to use it. But like everything it is pretty summed up at a first glance... Why learn to use something new when you have know how to use something that does exactly the same thing?

I'd take cubase over the bastardised, crippleware that is Protools LE.

13. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Maybe it's me....I'll admit it that's apossibility. everyone has their preferences, and I'm certainly not trying to say that cubase sucks...but the interface doesn't work for me. That's not how I work.

Easy to use software....well, I use Emu Paris (RIP). It doesn't get much more straightforward. There's very few menus to get encumbered in, and it really feels like a console+recorder+patch bay in terms of layout. Not half as many features as cubase, but its faster to get around in for someone like me (I come from the 2"+console school of thought), and for me that's what matters...when inspiration hits I need the ability to start laying tracks fast. I never got there with Cubase...user error, probably, but heh, lucky for me there's lots of other software/interfaces out there to choose from.

Cheers,

Kris

14. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I love Cubase, been using it since it was ported to the PC platform.

I've been using sequencing/recording software since the DOS days and with ANY platform, you'll have glitches setting up your system.

Once you get your system configured, you should be able to run it smoothly. A good practice is to use a machine that is not on the interent, the virus problems can reek havoc! I have a wireless connection that is always disabled, unless I need to authorize something.

15. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I had major headaches with Cubase, switched to ProTools about 4 years ago haven't been happier.

16. Powerfibers

Powerfibers Member

I got a free version of Cubase LE when I purchased my FIREBOX last year. I was used to using Samplitude v.6, and did not find any need for Cubase. I tried to use it a few times, and whether it was simply my familiarity with Samplitude or whatnot, I was not impressed enough to switch. IMHO, Samplitude is a great program. It works fine with my FIREBOX, so I assume it will work with any PreSonus box.

Bob

17. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I use Cubase SX3. No problems here. My guess is that unless you lost more than the audio files, they're still on your drive somewhere.

18. dougb415

dougb415 Member

BZZT - this is known as OPERATOR ERROR. The beginning mark tells Cubase that this is the beginning, and the ending marker tells Cubase that this is the end. Cubase did exactly what you told it to do.

BTW, this is a common error, it's just something that you have to remember. Cubase will export whatever you tell it to export. No reason to hate Cubase....

19. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Now, if only I could remember how to use the LM7 sounds for my click track...:eek:

I had it working about 6 months ago when I was working with real instruments, but I've been in VST land for months, and forgot how to set it up. :jo

20. Carterco

Carterco Member

I signed into this forum just so that I could chime in about my hate for cubase. God, what an awful piece of software. I use Pro Tools about 95% of the time, but I have to use Cubase every now and then. The more I use (and get more familiar) with using Cubase, the more it makes my stomach turn. My latest theory is that the people that made Cubase must be analog purists at heart, because if I was trying to make the switch from analog to digital and Cubase was my entry point into digital, I would curse digital recording fiercely. If there is anything positive to come from this negativity I hope that someone might read this and decide not to try out this insanely buggy and un-intuiative (maybe it's because I'm American??) software. Buyer be warned!