I hate it when it happens..

Pastafarian

Past couple days no matter what I play through sounds and feels like crap. I've learned to pass it off and ignore it knowing it's just psycho acoustics or whatever but that's why I have so much gear.
I used to run out the next day and buy another amp or modeler or some type of pedal.

Totally hate it because I want goosebumps every time I play or at least pleasing tones. I must have went through 4 amps and 3 modelers tonight trying to find a sound I like because I have band homework to do and it's tough to stay motivated for me when I sound like crapola.

Eh such is life I guess.

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
The key is to keep playing anyway. If you can record some of it, maybe so much the better. You might be surprised when you listen back that it doesn't sound like ass at all.
I believe Frank Zappa had this experience quite often.

AXEnGEAR4J

Your mind, ear and fingers will come back around ...
I hate it when it happens .. however
Usually that's a sign of something good or new direction to come!

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
This has been happening to me the last week.

Sometimes it all sounds sweet......................sometimes it all sounds like crap.

BADHAK

Past couple days no matter what I play through sounds and feels like crap. I've learned to pass it off and ignore it knowing it's just psycho acoustics or whatever but that's why I have so much gear.
I used to run out the next day and buy another amp or modeler or some type of pedal.

Totally hate it because I want goosebumps every time I play or at least pleasing tones. I must have went through 4 amps and 3 modelers tonight trying to find a sound I like because I have band homework to do and it's tough to stay motivated for me when I sound like crapola.

Eh such is life I guess.

Practice unplugged.....seriously, save your practice time for practice, and your tone seeking for yourself.

I used to be like you, but then I got a vintage 2203 and a quad Greenbacks, and only played it when I could play it like it was meant....at band volume. Makes me smile every time and makes all the hours of unplugged practice worthwile(because i play better because I practice more, which makes my tone better)

guitarjb44

Silver Supporting Member
Practice unplugged.....seriously, save your practice time for practice, and your tone seeking for yourself.

I used to be like you, but then I got a vintage 2203 and a quad Greenbacks, and only played it when I could play it like it was meant....at band volume. Makes me smile every time and makes all the hours of unplugged practice worthwile(because i play better because I practice more, which makes my tone better)

Excellent advice. I do the same.

Joe

Pastafarian

Very good. I honestly didn't think of that. It also reminded me that I need to replace my acoustic that went to guitar heaven a couple years ago.

Pastafarian

Yep, and get a good tube amp, along with some good dirt boxes, and ditch the modeler stuff. Swiss on rye, or velveeta for priming an appetite~

I have several good tube amps. I use modelers for gigs usually. The consistency can't be beat. Been gigging for 25+ years. have had expensive stuff stolen in the past at gigs which is another reason I use an inexpensive amp or modeler for gigs. But I get what your saying.

Buzzard Luck

If I sit around playing unplugged watching YouTube , doing 30 minutes of picking exercises or whatever for a few days, and then go to band practice and amp up, suddenly I'm really thrilled again, and hear new things from my Weehbo Bastard I didn't hear before!

thecornman

Its not the gear! It is the person using it. Not sure what advice to give you to get over it. It is just not a problem I have had in a very long time.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
When I feel that way I'll pull out my Nylon String guitar, or the National. Change my perspective a bit, keep some other skill set up to speed and come back refreshed.
I'll play clean, or just go completely experimental (although I hate trying to dial in effects) with Stereo delays and crazy modulation.

It's harder if you are trying to get paid though. Time is money.

vegarman

one foot outta the grave!
Gold Supporting Member
im old and this happens all the time, sometimes I wonder if I just suck?

marktweedy

In Transit®
Silver Supporting Member

Eh such is life I guess.
Such is life, indeed. I had rehearsal yesterday, and simply could not make anything sound remotely like I thought it should be sounding like. I agree with @A-Bone: the secret for me is to keep playing regardless.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom