I hate living in Canada!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For your information: $1 CAD equals about 90 cents USD

so only this Saturday I was going through this Boss product booklet I once picked up from the Canadian version of Guitar Center, called Long and Mcquade. That thing is a little GAS inducing on it's own, i gotta say, and it happily presented me with a heaping helping of GAS for an OD-20.

Not something which I need as I am happy with my Hot British, DGTM, and MA modded SD-1 and MT-2 (backup pedals). In fact, this may very well be the first unnecessary pedal I ever bought with no intention of selling. But alas, love is blind.

After trying a few avenues, including the 'bay, unsuccessfully, I figured I'll bite the bullet and buy one from an e-tailer. 8th street had em for cheapest on froogle for $139 USD. The mean price was about 160, if I recall.

OD-20, including shipping, cost ~$155 which is about $172 CAD. Then I call up Long and Mcquade outta curiosity. They sell it for $290 CAD! sheesh, to imagine that 18 short months ago, I used to get all my stuff solely from them is enough to make anyone nauseous.

You Americans don't know how good you have it.

[/rant]

2. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

It is ridiculous what we pay for stuff around here. Being on P.E.I. is even worse. That pedal is well over $300.00 here. Nobody is adjusting prices on new merch to the moving dollar. We're still paying 50+% more for things. But on the plus side, think about how good our American friends have it gear-wise next time you need medical attention.

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

You should try shopping locally around here! On the upside, one GBP is equal to 1.70 USD on average, so importing from the US is much more attractive to me.

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I think most do. Then again, maybe someone could start some Canadian pedal companies so folks won't have to deal with this sort of thing.

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

OK think I'm going to win this one!

You guys should try shopping locally or importing down here!
    Have a look at Perth, Western Australia on the globe-oh, and combine that with the exchange rate..:jo...

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

You have a good point there, Realfi :D

On the upside (there's always an upside) you have great weather, endless beaches, all year barbeques and a competitive nature that reflects well in your national teams at all sports!

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

True, although all that sports over-performing for a nation of 20 million does tend to mean arts & music get ignored for funding.

I guess it'll be ever worse now that we've won a world cup soccer match....not that I wasn't cheering like a stereotypical Aussie!

8. Teahead

Teahead Member

Not to hi-jack at all, but your blokes have a cracking chance having watched that Brazil-Croatia match last night.

9. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Amen . I worked at a Hospital 28 years , but as soon as I retired I had the "option" of paying for about 1 nice pedal a month for insurance or nothing . Haven't seen a doc in 3 years and my BP pills (1 scrip) = $70 a month .

10. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

Exactly. I'm sure a lot of Americans would rather pay premium prices for cars, pedals, etc to be able to enjoy a medical system like we have. We pay an outrageous amount of income tax compared to you too, but it's worth it in the end not to have to spend 1000's of dollars everytime you go to a hospital.

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Not to soundl like a corporate suit, but there are lots of reasons for pricing not being on par. One being that prices are usually set, from the distributor, 6 months or more in advance. The $ has gone up like crazy in that time so no adjustments. Also there's store overhead, paying employees (the aforementioned insurance thing), etc. Most pedals come from Taiwan or the far East, they're not $US based.

OTOH I was at Songbird Music in Toronto the other day, bought an EHX Holy Grail reverb pedal for $115CDN (+15% tax). Typically sells for $100US online (MF, Music123, etc). I would have easily paid the $15 difference in shipping, and the tax would likely have been assesesd as well. Even if it wasn't, for that amount I was OK with walking into a store and getting one.

12. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

That's a very good point. There are many brands that are on 'par' with American pricing. Especially in the bigger centers. Me, living on Fantasy Island, I rarely buy anything locally, because the price difference of other Canadian stores is just too much. I pay about $4-5 more for a set of strings. They claim they will price match, but when I questioned one store on it, because I had found a Vox Wah for about $50 cheaper on a Canadian Online store, they informed me they don't price match with online. They told me I had to get a quote in writing from a walk-in store to get the same price. Needless to say, it wasn't worth the hassle to keep my money local. And the used gear market here is even more ridiculous. It's unfortunate, because I'd love to spend locally.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

To keep things clear, Songbird deals strictly in used equipment. I really have to check that place out sometime.

14. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

Songbird has some nice stuff, but I've been on their website and they're charging some outrageous prices for used gear.

15. KBN

KBN Member

Not this American! And you do pay for your hospital visits.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

So how long does it take you Canadians to get an MRI (to use but one example)?

Us Americans can get one in about 2 minutes where the average wait in Canada is approximately 19 years.

So yes, we have all the great gear AND the great medical!

U-S-A!

:dude :dude :dude :dude

17. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Nope they have a new stuff as well.

18. enickma

enickma Member

+1

I love Canada, and have some extremely close friends up north. The horror stories they've teld me regarding your "free" medical :eek: What's the overall tax rate ... something like 60% all told ?

19. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have to say I just heard this from someone who ordered something from me. Even with the $75 shipping charge to Australia, he could still get one speaker from me for $120 USD cheaper than buying the equivalent (competitor's name deleted) speaker from a well known manufacturer. Now that's an import duty/tariff for you...

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

theeclectic, do they? and you got your reverb pedal brand new for 115? That's pretty good.

I should add that Long and Mcquade sells the Boss SD-1 for about 60 or 65 bucks CAD plus tax, which is not a significant markup over the 40 bucks USD you get it for in the states.

And Gas-man, I completely concur. State medicare is mismanaged and underfunded. Two-tier system like every other western country (cept the good ol' US) is the way to go! :dude