I hate my DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by melody maker, Feb 26, 2008.

1. melody maker

melody maker Member

I have a 1981 Fender Deluxe Reverb that I bought new. I stopped playing some time in '84 and lent it to my brother, who I think my have had it modded for a Brighter (ear-piercing) sound. I've started back up with a band that hates the sound more than I do. It is harsh, bright, and breaks up at around 2 on the volume knob. Also the normal channel has much more power than the vibrato channel; maybe 30%. I've had the power tubes changed (and biased) with j/j's about a year ago which was a marked improvement. I guess the only thing to do is take to a tech and have it checked and/or brought back into spec. Please someone tell me, is this a good amp? Is it worth the trouble?:jo

2. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I don't think an 81 is a reissue.

3. AL30

AL30 Member

I think 67 Super is correct. According the Fender Amp Field Guide the '65 Reissue wasn't introduced until 1993 but they did start doing the blackface cosmetics sometime in the early '80's.

Harsh and bright sounds about perfect for that era of Fender... I hate those things... And the insides are usually a rat's nest. Sorry to sound so negative but those amps just don't compare to the earlier models which are just great.

Sell it - I really don't think you can help those things without some serious surgery.

AL

4. melody maker

melody maker Member

I talked to a tech who is familiar with these amps. He said there's a bright cap that can be removed/changed? And to install a Jensen c12k. This would greatly improve the sound.

5. Backstage Kent

Backstage Kent Member

I've rehabbed plenty of these, and with some love they can sound just fine. It takes a bit of an investment sometimes (especially when there's bad mods to reverse!), but resale on Fender tube amps, even ones from the 80's, just keeps going up. I'd say it's at least worth getting an estimate on--just make sure you're dealing with a tech with plenty of Fender experience.

6. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Its cheaper to keep her. A good tech can make that one sweet amp. It is true some of the speakers at that time were not the best. We live in the new golden age of amps, so you can get great stuff to upgrade it for not too much dinero.

Clipping that bright cap may help some. You can do that yourself. PM me if you need instructions. It is just a little ceramic disc cap on the volume pot. Also try a NOS 5751 tube in the second position (V2). That first preamp tube for the reverb channel really makes a big difference in the amps tonal character.

7. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I be happy if I posted about hating my drri and potentially found out it wasn't a re-issue! I would find good tech and a bring it back to stock. You can probably fetch a pretty penny for it also.