I hate pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lou Brush, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

I've been playing professionally for over 30 years and I've come to the conclusion that I despise pedals. I don't even like reverb. I simply prefer a dry guitar tone through a high-quality amp. I want my guitar to sound like a guitar. I see all these elaborate pedal boards and just cringe. I like showing up to a gig with a guitar, an amp, and a cable. Does anyone just plug straight into the amp anymore?

I know folks like U2's Edge get great live tone through a very complex pedal system... it's just not for me. It sounds artificial to my ear. I play blues, rock, country, and jazz and have never had the need for tone-shaping pedals. Most of my guitar-playing friends don't get it. Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

If that's what you like, that's great. As long as you don't have a superior attitude and look down on people who do use pedals. Then we've got an issue.:)

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I view pedals as sort of a necessary evil. While I prefer the sound of my guitar straight into a good non-master volume, non-channel switching amp, sometimes a song requires wah, reverb, delay, or distortion to sound right.

4. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

I have a friend who feels like you do. He calls pedals "tone removers"...

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

not a great way to introduce yourself with only holding 2 posts ...........know what i mean, but Im not a lover of pedals myself, I have a Bad Horsie wah but I think a wah is an essential pedal to many many players, I sometimes add the merest hint of analog delay...........but thats my lot , I too want to hear guitar, not pedals.

jimmy

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

7. matte

matte Senior Member

just hate. why discriminate?

8. matte

matte Senior Member

stupid pedals. i wish i were deaf.
    thank you, homer j simpson.

9. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I used nothing but a Marshall amp for years, and it was the most uninspired time I had as a player. I started putting pedal board together (not my first by any means) three years ago, now my enthusiasm and level of creativity are through the roof.

I love playing a Les Paul through a clean amp for practice--there's nothing to hide behind. But the truth is, I can do much more with an effects board in place.

The only way I could play with no reverb is wirth a cranked tube amp, which is simply not feasible on a daily basis.

10. TS808

TS808 Member

To me, it depends.

Sometimes guitar tone can be overdone with pedals, where it no longer sounds like guitar, and other times, use of pedals can really enhance tone.

Moderation is the key? :D

11. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

The reality is, once you go electric it's a slippery slope... I'm sure the acoustic purists are saying the same thing about those guys with their electric guitars. It's whatever you like. Personally I love a dry amp, only if the room sounds good! :)

12. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

Thanks for the advice. I see I stumped the experts with my 1st post, so I thought I'd dumb it down a little :)

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Bravo! Good on you. Simplification is addition by subtraction - works like a charm.

Now love everybody else that's different or wear your Gear Page Scarlet Letter with shame. Seriously, sushi makes me go poopie but others tolerate with gusto. Lately, I can't stand my hair, my face, my friends, my job but last night someone told me to, "Try and throw your arms around the world."

I'm gonna try.

14. Mark C

Mark C Member

So that's supposed to be an improvement in introducing yourself? I looked up your first post, don't know the answer - try the Les Paul forum, that's where the Gibson experts hang. As for pedals, what did they do to you to cause this hatred? :)

15. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

16. Birdseye

Birdseye Silver Supporting Member

I know what you mean. This little Boss woulda got me if I hadn't jumped outta the way just in the nick of time.[​IMG]

17. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Aren't you Special ;)

18. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Birdseye, are you Hank Marvin?

19. b_rad

b_rad Member

Classic, as always. :AOK

20. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

What an incredibly boring troll.