I Hate The DL4 But Love The Auto-Volume Swell, What Are My Options?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Snap, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Snap

Snap Member

I've used the DL4 for many years and even with the Keeley mod it still has a noticeable tone suck. It's stayed on my board for two reasons mainly, the Auto-Volume Swell and the Loop feature are both easy to use and get usable sounds from quickly.

I'd love to upgrade to a higher quality delay pedal, but am afraid mainly to lose the Auto-Volume feature.

Some considerations:
    - Line 6 M9/M5 (but do these units suffer from the same tone suck of the DL4?)
    - Boss SG-1 Slowgear or BYOC Lazy Sprocket (but I'd have to pair this with a separate delay).

What would you guys suggest?

2. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

If you're dead-set on keeping the auto-volume option, then the M-series from Line6 will do that for you, along with giving you a slew of other options. If you want to upgrade altogether, then the Timeline has a Swell function that emulates the same thing as the auto-volume option on the Line6 pedals.

3. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

I went from the DL4 to the M9 and loved it! The looper is better (easier to use) on the M9 and I didn't notice any tone loss. But, I sold the M9 for a Timeline and haven't looked back.

4. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

If you don't need the looper, the M5 would work for you.
    M9 doesn't have the tone suck of the DL4 and the looper is better:
    Print effects onto your loop or change the effects applied to the loop after you record
    Erase last layer recorded

Timeline swell sounds great but is a little harder to use than the Line 6 auto-volume.
    You need to have a consistent technique or it will not swell some of the notes.

5. StratAtak83

StratAtak83 Member

I was hoping the timeline would have an easy swell setting like the dl4, but i was let down by the swell function on the timeline. I never use it.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

My first thought was timeline.

7. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

People are so quick to say M9 or timeline but neither of those units nail the auto-volume echo on the DL4. The m-series never quite got the swell as natural sounding.

8. Grizz_Lee

Grizz_Lee Member

the timeline's swell delay is amazing and very natural sounding.

9. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Echo Park has the swell mode.

10. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

:munch

11. kickstrat

kickstrat Member

I really love the auto-volume swell on the DL4 and the loop function is cool too.
    While the loop feature in the M9 is more efficient, it could not reproduce the auto-volume swell like the DL4. Too bad...

12. pedalboy88

pedalboy88 Member

The guyatone slow-volume does a great swell sound. I haven't tried the latest version but the old version works really well.
    Echo park is more similar to the dl4. I prefer the slow volume separate and away from the delay however.
    Behringer have a slow gear clone, haven't tried it.

13. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

I had a DL4 that I sold for a timeline. The auto swell on the dl4 was awesome. The timeline simply cannot replicate it. I sold the timeline and now have an M9. The auto swell on the m9 sounds identical to the dl4 imho.

14. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Same here, the M9 Auto Swell sounds the same as the DL4 Auto Swell (which sounds the same as the Echo Park Auto Swell...)

15. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I got mine with the "drasp mod" I never looked back. I need no other delay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. zul

zul Supporting Member

I wonder why Line6 never updated an improved DL4 version after all these years.

17. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

This.

Only big disappointment is the swell mode on the timeline.

18. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

THIS! Add global tap, continuous tap (you can set the tempo before turning the delay on), and dotted eighths so I can buy another one. These are the only reasons I sold the first one.

19. Snap

Snap Member

I tried looking around online for more info on the Drasp mod but couldn't find a website, any help? Is it better/different than the keeley mod?

I honestly didn't know Behringer made a pedal like that. I wouldn't mind trying one out if I even find one, but owning a Behringer pedal where I come from still carries the same kind of stigma as playing through a Peavey PA, or a First Act Guitar.

IRT:
    Thanks for all the responses, I would love to go for the Timeline but many of you have confirmed that the swell function is not up to par.
    So the M9 might be a good alternative, especially since that might also allow me to get rid of the MM4 on my board.