1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I hate this....the PRS modern eagle is being DISCONTINUED!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by webe123, Jan 5, 2008.

1. webe123

webe123 Member

I asked PRS if what I had heard about the PRS Modern Eagle being discontinued was true, because I had heard it on another website that they no longer accept orders. So I recieved an email from them....

At this point we are no longer accepting new orders for the Modern Eagle Models.

Thank you for your continued support of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sadly, it is!

I was really hoping to get my hands on one now that I have some land I will be selling from an inheritance. But I will not get the money for about six more months, because the land that I am inheriting, has to be auctioned off.

I will get 133 acres and should get a sizeable amount for a sale to developers. But by the time I DO get my money, prices for modern eagles may be sky high because they will not be made anymore.

I guess that their supply of Brazillian Rosewood finally ran out....or they are are just saving it for private stock.

Either way...that SUCKS!

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Well, most knew that the ME would be "limited"...
    But,
    There are plenty for sale almost everywhere and are pretty obtainable.
    And,
    The there are a ton of "used" ones all the time.

I was going to sell mine but I think I might just keep it now.
    It was only to get another one though...

[​IMG]

3. webe123

webe123 Member

Well they are obtainable right now, but when something gets discontinued, prices usually go up. That is what I am wondering....what will the market for Me's look like 6 months from now when I get my money?

I will not go private stock just to get a me, though. I could not see paying two or three thousand more for a guitar I could have got when they were production guitars.

There is always used, but I really wanted to get a new one when I got my money.

4. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

rubbing salt in the wound over here won't make it feel ANY better!

ouch quit it, ouch quit it.

I've very tempted to let fly a flurry of profanities over this decision...

:FM

:mad:

:BITCH

&*&#$&%#*&%##$@!!! *&&_*#&#%!!!!!!!!

sigh....

5. webe123

webe123 Member

Yeah, I feel your pain!

However they have a VERY large selection of ME's at bizzareguitar.com http://168.144.173.112/default.aspx

6. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

How about buying one now, on credit. Then pay it off after the land sells.

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

is there any particular reason that they are discontinuing it? other than its quite expensive for a production guitar?

8. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Apparently their supply of Brazilian rosewood neck blanks is getting too thin to continue regular production.

And here's a little more salt for y'all... ...one of the early ('04) ones:

[​IMG]

9. 19rick52

19rick52 Member

Don't sell the land. It will be worth far more than any guitar. you can't manufacture any more land, but guitars are being made by the 1000s' everyday. If you have to sell off a couple of acres to buy the guitar and keep the rest of the property. That could be your retirement in the future.

10. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a guitar. They'll make 'em--SC250, SC245, McCarty, whatever-- with Indian or other rosewood necks and I'm sure 99.99% of us could not tell the sonic or cosmetic difference.

I have an ME. It's a fine guitar but it's expensive and certainly not a bargain. There a million fine guitars out there and honestly, some of my guitars that cost a fraction of the ME's price I enjoy far more than the ME.

So why do I have keep the ME? I was flush with cash at the time, working my ass off, and I indulged. It has a unique and cool tone indeed with great sustain. But I wouldn't kill myself over it.

Just trying to palliate your grief. :BEER

11. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Tell that to a volcano.

Keep the land, thats a little extreme, for such ugly guitars.

Maybe its just me, but PRS screams of Creed.

12. wilerty

wilerty Member

webe123: In an effort to make you feel better ... two points ...

First, if you come into a bunch of money, why would you buy a production guitar, that many people have, for $5,000, when you could get a Private Stock for two or three thousand more, that would be unique, and built to your specs?

Second, when I went looking for a rosewood neck PRS, I compared the ME to the SCT IRW Limited Edition and I preferred the SCT IRW. LEs are available out there and more models will become available with IRW necks. MEs are very nice, but they aren't for everyone. I was at Experience PRS and Paul Reed Smith (himself) was playing his ME and someone (sorry, can't remember who) was playing the new Mira next to him, and I would have taken the Mira home if I had to choose one that night based on tone. Think about it ... for the price of an ME you could almost have a plain Mira, SAS, and an SC245 ...

Somehow I think PRS will have something to offer you in six months ...

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Exactly.

Sorry but I was playing PRS in the 80's when Creed wasn't even on the radar; and before upper-middle-class kids had daddie drag them down to GC for a PRS/Rectifier combo meal...

where's Frankie to weigh in on this??

14. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

This post is probably best deleted. I'm sure everyone knows
    what you meant, and that you were in fact saying something
    against racism, but it's inappropriate to compare anything to
    do with guitars to the subjugation and enslavement of a race
    of people.

15. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Do not remind me, I actually just broke my self promise I would never have a credit card because of this....and I'll be PISSED if the one I have my eye on sells before I get the chance!!!!

However I have enough gear to cover the cost, I just need the capital NOW so I can get it before prices increase, meanwhile I will sell off the gear I have that isn't discontinued to pay off the debt.

Damn this!!!! I have no self discipline with guitar gear!!!!!!

16. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

You're getting/selling 133 acres and still worried about guitar prices? Dude, I don't think prices of pre-owned MEs will go that high.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I think it sucks that you are selling all that land to a bunch of developers. [​IMG]

18. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

PRS is not discontinuing the ME, they are just not taking orders at this point. When they secure a good stash of BRW, they'll make some more.

Personally, I've seen them giving away too many incentives lately to get stock moving. For example: Buy a PRS guitar before Dec. 31 '07 and get a gift cert from the PRS apparel store, the Korina McCartys having a first run of BRW fretboard (running low are ya?), etc.
    Are they starting a fire to get the expensive ME line going at dealers, catching dust at stores on a slow economy?

Or are they starting a fire on the desire of guitar players to own crackwood and force them into PS to get it. For those who don't know PRS is about to almost double their production floor by adding a brand new building. The PS team is getting a very large chunk of real state to boost their capacity and resources. Coincidence?

I am accusing PRS of anything, but in today's world I question anything and everything. At the same time, they wouldn't be the first or last to pull strings and "justify" a better mouse trap. Have anyone look at Fender CS Relics lately? CS Masterbuilts? CS BRW Strats priced like they are FMT bound tops with dragon inlays? or Artist replicas priced into the $20k range?

19. tjensen

tjensen Gold Supporting Member

I've spoken with three well-known PRS dealers in the past 48 hours, who all have told me the same thing: Not only is the Modern Eagle in limbo, but PRS is no longer accepting orders for Brazilian rosewood necks on Private Stock guitars, either.

One of the dealers also told me that he got a letter from Collings saying that they are no longer accepting Brazilian orders, either.

It appears the most righteous tonewood is indeed in short supply.

20. jda

jda Member

Cool! Maybe I won't sell mine after all.