I hate to be a kill joy but...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PEImatrix, Feb 27, 2009.

1. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

I did a show last night, and other than using my OD for solo's, I think my whole board was irrelivant. All the subtle stuff seemed to get lost. My AD99 diasapeared, my CE2 wasn't heard, and my Nobels OD got redundent, because we were playing loud enough to get some crunch out of my amp.

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning from the lack of sleep.

2. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

I hope we don't get banned for our posts. :eek:

I do find my board very useful when recording, but for what I'm doing right now, it may be more than I need.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

As much as I love & use pedals, especially at home, there's NOTHING like a magical guitar plugged straight into a magical amp.

Not versatile, but... MAGICAL.

4. saggybottom

saggybottom Member

I got rid of all my pedals except my rev/trem unit and still find myself looking at effects and fighting the urge to spend money on them as I know I'll eventually toss them in the closet until I ebay them off.

5. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Kill Joy??? Oh no... don't worry... you're talking about music... this forum is about GAS, not music. :)

6. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

The only problem is, if I sold them all today, I'd probably just buy a bunch of new ones in 2 weeks.:NUTS

7. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

:stir He's a WITCH!!!! BAN HIM>>>>BAN HIM>>>

8. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

Amen dude! But, seriously, you are going to lose your membership privileges here if you keep talking like that!

9. enocaster

enocaster Member

I own, use, and enjoy a ton of effects, many of them wacky (HOG, Murf, TZF, Qtron, etc), I love finding new combinations and settings and unique sounds. But for gigs it's usually a single OD with knobs at noon, and the very occasional touch of wah, Phase 90, or slapback.

10. plain-boy

plain-boy Member

I am a bulimic pedal user. I buy a bunch and think I need a pedal board. And, then I sell them to buy something else. It's a constant cycle. All in all, it's just a big waste of money. It's cool to have a few useful pedals for recording. But, I find it most rewarding to plug a good guitar into a good amp and play music.

11. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

The only effects I now use on my live rig are overdrive and boost. I get much better results adding effects at the FOH mix from the board. Of course for this to be successful you have to have a soundman who knows what to do and when.

12. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I like pedals and I cycle through quite a lot. Is boiling down to those I like right now. That being said, no pedal sounds like my guitar straight into my amp. That's tone.

13. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

One of my best gigs ever was:

Strat>wah>Fulldrive>Delay>50W Plexi

Simple and magical. To do this day when I look at all my pedals, I still think of that gig and scratch my head...

14. storm319

storm319 Member

This is why all I have is my DL-4 and a couple of overdrives!

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd have to disagree. Many of my pedals aren't flashy normally (EQ, Compressor, dirt, lead boost), but the ones that do the weird thing (Jacques auto-wah, Boss PS-5) are always noticeable..... even if I just use the PS-5 for detune chorus sounds.

The delay I agree with you, especially when playing rhythm. However, when I play U2 type delay (E. Level cranked, repeats set to 1) or use it for a weird type of sound, like leslie-sim, it's definitely noticeable.

I do hear you though on how sometimes, "less is less"

16. jonnygreentrees

jonnygreentrees Member

the reality is you can spend as long as you like geeking out over pedals and getting the most perfect tones imaginable in your bedroom/practice room but as soon as you play loud in a gig situation often all of the nuances in your tone that you worked hard to achieve just get buried and often the worst pedals will actually cut it in a band situation but sound awful when played on their own

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's what I've been saying too...especially when folks debate endlessly about that "extra 5% of tone" or something...or delays, they get lost, the lush ones more than the harsh ones! The harsh ones often cut and sound great where the beautifully intoned ones...mush.

Live effects need to be less subtle (except...PLEASE not reverb, that always needs to be more subtle, on stage or home) and what sounds harsh at home often does sound sweet and smooth in a band.

18. Brettski

Brettski Member

It's almost the same (at least for me) in recording. You can get big, huge, heavy guitar sounds with low end for days, but when you put them in the mix, you have to bury them so you can hear everything else.

What sounds good in the bedroom ain't always so hot in the mix.

19. Ryan

Ryan Member

That's the truth.

20. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Give it a few weeks and then you'll feel the opposite way.
    Then you'll feel the same way again.
    Then you'll tout how acoustic is so pure compared to electric.
    Then it'll be how single coils just are so much better and nuanced over humbuckers.
    Then it'll be how humbuckers trounce singles.
    Then it'll be how Atari was better than Intellivision.

Just don't be like so many and sell everything off ... pedals in your purist phase... Les Pauls when you're into strats... you'll come back to things over time and kick yourself for getting rid of that stuff. Or you'll be on a constant buying and selling cycle.

-Ben