I hate you all (Safety Razor Content)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GAD, Feb 16, 2015.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I finally got disgusted with the prison-rape prices of cartridge razor blades and read the Safety Razor thread.

That lead to two hours of research and an episode of "I should never shop online after 10pm" debit card use.

I've now got $200 worth of safety razors, soaps, oils, creams, and sample razors on the way, and I find myself bidding on vintage Gillettes on eBay.

This from the guy who works from home and shaves maybe three times a month unless I'm traveling.

Hey, at least after I spend a couple hundred I'll be saving tens of dollars on blades! :sarcasm I know I'll save lots more over time.

Getting out from under the boot-heel of corporate greed makes me happy, so what the hell.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Lt Dak, Last'sGal, Ilduce and 13 others like this.
  2. mcp

mcp Member

Can you save some of us two hours research and tell us what you have coming and where you bought it? This post is very un-TGP like, not listing the full description and detail of each item of the purchase, and the first name of the person to which you spoke and are now best friends with.

SI, Frozen Chosen, massacre and 4 others like this.
  3. Colorado Mac

Colorado Mac Member

Don't know why you bothered. I went with Dollar Shave Club. $6 a month and a new blade every monday.

4. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

hard to beat 100 Astra Premium blades for $10

... I get exactly 3 shaves out of each one.

5. GAD

Because that doesn't tickle my "Love to research and obsess about things" gene.

I'm also a big fan of stockpiling a year's worth of everything I need. I don't want repeat deliveries. I want 100 blades that I can use and not worry about needing.

SI likes this.
  6. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Did you get any C.O. Bigelow cream with the eucalyptus?

buzzp and theonlychrisj like this.
  7. GAD

LOL - so true.

I bought most everything on Amazon.

Let's see, as far as hardware I ordered a Parker 96R, a Weishi 9306CL, and a Merkur 34C, and a wide assortment of well-known blades. I already have brushes. All three razors combined was $83, which is a bit shy of three 16-packs of Mach3 blades on Amazon.

I know myself, and I know I'll end up with a mint vintage Gillette, too. I figure the best of the modern ones will end up in my travel bag.

As a fun aside, I found this in my travels and had a good laugh reading the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F2B3P8?psc=1

rich_chaffins likes this.
  8. GAD

I did not. Am I doomed to fail?

9. alainguitars

alainguitars Member

Been there, done that. Even ordered a straight razor from Feather (which I only use with a 5+ day growth to take the beard down. Can't work under the lip or chin without looking like an extra from Vikings. Also ordered a Merkur DE, but found my father's 70 year old Gillette works better. Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving cream and feather blades work great. May try the cheaper Astra blades next. FYI, I occasionally use an electric to get under my nose where cuts are more likely to happen.

10. kkregsg

kkregsg Supporting Member

A while back, irritated by the price of blades, same as the OP, I read the thread and drank the double edged safety razor koolaid. I read a ton, but only spent $20 for probably the same Gillette adjustable my Dad used in the 60s, from fleabay. I already had a boar bristle shaving brush, and found soap at Walgreens for $6, along with blades. I can report that for very little outlay, I now enjoy a good shave for very little money. Hmm. I AM becoming my father.

jamme61, Pixies2005, massacre and 3 others like this.
  11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i thought about going down this rabbit hole, but then i realized i only go through one mach3 blade a month
    what can i say? i've got a baby face.
    oddly enough, my father switched FROM safety style TO mach3

12. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I'd surely cut myself trying to use it...mainly from laughing so hard.

13. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

What's odd for me is that I stocked up on all the DE gear - several vintage Gillettes, four brushes, a 200-count carton of Feather blades, soaps, creams, lotions, et al. I even bought some out-of-production NIB items (Crabtree Sweet Almond Oil shave cream is sublime). Several hundred $, like the OP. It's a fun distraction and I get very close shaves if I prep properly and use care.

But the ease and simplicity of whipping out a blue Gillette Good News disposable twin-blade is drawing me back in. They're cheap and work surprisingly well. I never get a nick, cut or rash.

It's like leaving the Les Paul in the case and playing the Silvertone. Sigh...

EataPeach likes this.
  14. hellbender

hellbender Member

15. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I don't know if you're doomed, but you should certainly try it on the potential it could lessen the post shave doom.

theonlychrisj likes this.
  16. hellbender

hellbender Member

Mine last at least 3 weeks because I rinse in soft water. No insoluble hard water deposits to ruin the edge. It really works.

17. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Ah, Merkur 34C, a fine selection and my own personal weapon of choice. Blades end up being a personal thing - I have a friend that loves Derby blades but I just could not get along with 'em, so I use (and love) Feather blades. Soaps - I am a big fan of TOBS, Tabac, and Proraso.

Take the time to learn how to work a DE razor - done right, it'll be an excellent shave and one of the best you'll ever have.

18. DK207

DK207 Member

Nice. Enjoy. I have that same razor and have been very happy with it. If your blade pack has derby start with those. Mild but do the trick for me. Two passes and I'm good to go. you won't regret the investment. After the initial sting costs about $20 per year to shave.

19. aquietcabin78

aquietcabin78 Member

I also use a cheaper gillette safety razor. You should try the Woody's brand shave products. They are tops. I used to have a problem with razor bumps and ingrown hairs but the Woody's product line has solved all those issues, smells good too boot.

20. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You're doomed. :D

Btw, the Dumbles of shaving soap/cream are Martin de Candre , Castle Forbes and XPEC.
    You need at least one of them! :)

Pixies2005 likes this.