I hated the Mesa C90

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by In Absentia, Apr 27, 2020.

1. In Absentia

In Absentia Member

Until I tried it with my Fryette D120. Wow! It gives me the saturation I missed with my Fryette. I had given up on this speaker, as it is incredibly dark. I really have to turn the treble up, but it just snarls. It’s almost Dual Recto-like, but no fizz. It is not dry sounding at all with the Fryette, which tends to get a bad rep about being dry (I don’t get it myself).

I’m still going to grab a couple of Fryette cabs, but I do think a full C90 cab is in my future. If you have a Deliverance, give it a shot.

2. Sardocasm

Sardocasm cupcakes Supporting Member

Likewise, I had great results using C90s with my Diezel Herbert. It doesn’t work well with all amps, but it has a unique character that sounds great in some applications.

Christos Mpegnis and In Absentia like this.
  3. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

It’s kinda meh, right?

4. In Absentia

In Absentia Member

Im loving it right now! I think the meh thing is because it’s doesn’t add much character and is dark. but I think that’s why it works so well with the Fryette. It really just lets the amp shine through.

5. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Compared it to the F90 at all, speaking of Fryette?

6. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

C90 speaks to me, I love it...

blackba likes this.
  7. louis

louis Member

Is the Mesa C90 the same as Celestion C90 ?
    I know that Bob Gjika use the C90 in his 10 n amps and it sounds awesome.

8. RGB

RGB Member

It's the same as the CL80 with a vent in the magnet...one of my favorite speakers in a theile cab...next to the EVM12L.

Pongo, jdel77 and louis like this.
  9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

The C90 used to be in the Celestion catalog, labeled as a Celestion, right next to the CL80, so it's not the same speaker. When Celestion dropped a bunch of speakers from their catalog, including the C90, Mesa contacted them and got them to continue making the C90 for them as an OEM speaker, as they preferred it in many of their amps. A rumor went around that the C90 was the same as the CL80, because they use the same magnet and some Mesa C90's were made that still had the CL80 sticker on the magnet, so people made the jump to thinking they are the same speaker. They are not. There are differences in some components of the two speakers.
    Al

blackba and In Absentia like this.
  10. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

g12-80 it was, but c90 is different still.

11. Pongo

Pongo Member

While I'm not a huge fan of the Black Shadow, Mesa's theile was a major exception. I wouldn't say it did any one thing great but it let the amp really shine through and you'd be hard pressed to find a more versatile cab. I ran everything from bad country to worse jazz to worst metal through mine with absolutely no complaints.

RGB likes this.
  12. IanRubbish

IanRubbish Member

I love the black shadow, i have the 1x12 Mesa cab and love the way amps sound through it. I am mulling a 4x12 with them.

13. PhxdB

PhxdB Member

Mark me down as a fan!

I bought a 3/4 back 2x12 cab with those black shadows in them and I've owned the cab ever since. It's super killer!

14. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I think the C90 is a perfect match in the Fillmore 50 combo. I haven't liked it with other Mesa amps.

15. In Absentia

In Absentia Member

Not yet. I’m dying to try the new Fanes.

16. gearlovin

gearlovin Silver Supporting Member

Yep the same
    They sound killer in there but I suspect Gjika cab and wiring to be for something too.

louis likes this.
  17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I find the cl80 has more highs than the Mesa c90. But is not as thick in the midrange, so that may be the ticket for those that find it too dark, get a cl80.

I love mixing the c90 with an ev or eminence ms12. I find this combo works well with tones of amps and the two speakers compliment each other perfectly.

Coli likes this.
  18. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

same here- I have a 4x12 that will never leave the house because it is c90/ev-almost everything sounds great through it. I blew out some dust with my Superlead last night and it sounded great. The only amp I have had that didn't like it that much was an Ecstasy 20th Ann. ( gain channel liked greenies better; cleans were fantastic of course)

blackba likes this.
  19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I like and use a CL80 and have never bonded with the C90. I find them very different.

20. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I am one of the longstanding haters - but finally found an amp it jives well with !