I have $2k to spend...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RBOD, Feb 4, 2015.

1. RBOD

RBOD Member

What do you guys suggest? I'm really leaning towards a used Mark V but am also thinking about a 5150iii or an Orange. Thoughts?

2. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

They seem like totally different amps... What are you looking for, more specifically?

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Depends on the tone you're after. Personally I'd spend a little extra and get either a magnatone stereo twilighter or a Jim kelly head or combo or Marshall jubilee. Best of luck

4. RBOD

RBOD Member

I'm not really looking for a specific sound. Just something new/different from what I have. The Orange will probably be the least likely candidate as it wouldn't be drastically different from my other amps. A Mark V is a swiss army knife and is the front runner right now. The 5150iii is just brutal but maintains a good clean channel unlike my original 5150.

5. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Well roughly listing the amps you are looking for, it seems you are wanting a higher gain of at least hot Rodded Marshall sound (though the amps you listed are all very different).

I would highly highly highly suggest getting the PWE Event Horizon that is listed in the Emporium right now. Hand down the best amp I have ever owned. I am not affiliated with the seller in any way. Just an owner of one. If I could justify it, I would but it myself. If it was a 100 watt one it would be mine already (I have a 50 watt version).

I absolutely love mine. Love it. It's insanely good. I can everything from Fender and Marshally cleans to hot Rodded Marshall to SLO levels of gain on the high gain channel.

It's a crime these aren't discussed more here.

As a note I also have a Mark V. I love that amp as well for differnt reasons. If I had to pick though between keeping one, it would be the PWE without hesitation.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I think you should get the Mesa Mark V... or even possibly a Splawn.

7. RBOD

RBOD Member

I'll have to look into that one.

My other option is two mid-level amps to pad the colletion I.E. Dual Rec and a Twin Reverb.

8. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

The Mark V is one of my Holy Grail amps that I hope to own one day so I have to mention the other amp that runs neck to neck with it, the Fryette Sig X. If you're interested in the Mark V I'd recommend checking it out also. Good luck!

9. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

If it were me (7 years ago I was exactly where you're at) I'd get a used Bogner Shiva (which is what I did). I spent years trying to get 3-channel amps to work for me and they never did: Splawn Quickrod, Soldano Decatone, Boogie Mark IV, Dual Recto, etc.

The question is really do you want endless tweaking or "set it and forget" with your amps. For me, the Shiva and one overdrive pedal gives me endless possibilities for: Fender clean, cranked Fender, vintage Marshall and hot-rodded Marshall.

I'm not saying the Shiva nails every one of these tones with 100% authenticity but everytime I play mine, I come away smiling and happy. With the other amps I listed, playing them always got me frustrated.

10. RBOD

RBOD Member

Waiting to hear back on a Mark V head with a OS Recto 4x12. If that fall through, I think it's going to be an Orange OR100.

11. sleewell

sleewell Member

I want an orange or100

12. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

13. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I can't recommend a Mark V enough! Best cleans and best distortion I've ever heard in the same amp! Plus multi-watts, solo boost, EQ, 3 channels with 3 modes each... Basically 9 different tones to choose from (still only 3 channels). Sounds amazing with single coils as well as humbuckers. It's just an amazing amp!

I could play a classic, twangy country or new top 40 country... Jazz, classic rock, hard rock or metal with this amp (all at the same gig too).

It's that amazing IMO.

14. RBOD

RBOD Member

That's the basic gist of what I'm getting. The only "negative" thing I've heard is that it doesn't do Rectifier tones as well as a Rec does (big shock!).

15. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Funny...I already own the Mesa Mark V...purchased it to get John Petrucci tones and discovered it is sooooo much more than that. Like others have said, the cleans are also simply amazing. So good one could justify the purchase of the amp for the cleans...of course, then you try channels 2 and 3 and it's over...

That said...I have been looking for a new amp (the obsession never ends) and I am considering a 5150iii Stealth and/or a PWE EH3. I love the tones of both, and I've heard both are great for low volume playing without a loss in tone. Really appeals to me.

Good luck with your search!

16. RBOD

RBOD Member

The 5150iii is very appealing but I think I'll get more out of the Mark V. The 5150iii is a great amp and actually has a nice clean channel but I think I want something a bit more rock and roll and a bit less metal.

17. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

depends what you want really.

A mark V is an awesome amp, but if I wanted Marshall or Plexi tone, I'd go for a good Marshall (Silver Jube, JCM800, AFD, YJM...)

I'd rather have a single channel Marshall AND a single channel Fender than one amp that can supposedly do it all.

But I don't play metal at all... classic rock, blues, some jazz.

18. DamianL

DamianL Member

For me?

Mark V is a classic and you can't go wrong with it.

But for personal preference I would go for a Big old Bogner.

D

19. aeiou (why?)

aeiou (why?) Yeah, I'm a serious guy

I spent a bit more and got a sweet slightly used Bogner XTC, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Mark V. It might take a bit to dial in to sound you want, but it such a great amp.

20. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Ok, I'm a Mark V owner since 2010 but I'll make a bad salesman or mannequin for the amp...

Here's the deal. I currently own five Mesa amps, none of them slouches, but the Mark V is my least favorite Mesa amp I currently own. It is mainly a feel thing. True, the MkV has lots of different preamp circuits but the power section remains the same. Consequently, all channels and modes sound and feel like a Mark V, and not like a Mark I or Mark IIc+ or whatever preamp circuit they might be using.
    Now the problem is, I find the overall sonic character and feel of the Mark V to be a bit too cold and stiff to my taste. It is by no means bad - but my other Mesa amps are much more organic, warmer, and alive-sounding.

Obviously, YMMV. Try a Mark V and see if you experience the same thing. Who knows, you might instantly fall in love with it. And then there are some who have similar issues as I do.

But for an alternative from Mesa, not yet mentioned, IMHO you should consider a Roadster. It offers roughly the same (very great) level of versatility as a Mark V and is pretty much in the same price bracket. Both of them can do a number of styles, from very nice clean sounds to low/mid gain and rock crunch to face-melting high gain.
    The big difference is the amp feel. The Mark V is very focused and tight (to the point of stiffness) while the Roadster is bigger, deeper and looser sounding (too loose for some players). Many players will love one and hate the guts of the other. One works just perfectly for them, and the other is a hopeless uphill battle. You should try both, preferably next to each other, before making up your mind.