I have $300 to burn on pedals, help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PRSman25, Dec 25, 2009.

1. PRSman25

PRSman25 Member

Hey, so like the thread title, I have money and would like to start using actual pedals, so I figured you guys could help me burn it real quick.

I want a Catalinbread DLS for sure, (in purple in case you were wondering).

But that leaves a hundred and change lying around, so help me decide what to buy?

Bear in mind that this will be my first "real" pedal board.
    Thanks!

2. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

What type of music do you play? This could help us. But seeing as you want the DLS. I reccomend a tuner and a delay to pair up with that.

3. buddachile

buddachile Member

+1 on the tuner. I don't have one yet, but I've got my eye on a Turbo Tuner, which is $135 I believe.

4. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

I would get a turbo tuner if I had the cash but if you would want to have a bigger board instead of just like 3 great pedals look into this for a tuner. Cheap and great. http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfselditusif.html

5. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Hold on! You do not need a tuner pedal! If you are just getting into pedals, buy yourself a Planet Waves clip-on tuner for the headstock of your guitar. (I used a tuning fork for decades and still do for my classical guitar; learning to tune your guitar is good for you.)

Next, buy yourself dirt pedal (e.g., DLS, OCD, or FD2) and a delay pedal (e.g., Carbon Copy).

Next, play your guitar and stop buying pedals for the next six months!

6. PRSman25

PRSman25 Member

Well see I've got a PODxt Live, that I'm still mildly attached to, and it has a tuner in it.
    It would be a slow shift over to regular pedals, but i'd still have the Pod.

I'm in a classic rock cover band, but also do newer kinda stuff a la Chili Peppers, Muse, 311, Sublime.

As far as dirt pedals, I think I'd like to get one more just to really push the DLS for leads and heavier stuff, but its not necessary.
    I was thinking either a nice chorus, or a delay for a second one, I just dont know how often I'll be using the delay.

@rlm297 Thanks for the offer, but I just refurbished a vintage Crybaby and am very pleased with it.

7. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Oh you have a Pod. Most people dont like drives on their multieffect that much. But a lot of people say that their needs for chrous or delay are met greatly by mutli-effects.

8. PRSman25

PRSman25 Member

Yeah I really like the delays on the POD.
    But man does everything else suck.

Any chorus pedal suggestions?

9. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

You can pick up a DLS and a CMATMODS deeelay for $300.00. I have both pedals and they are fantastic. The DLS is a great Marshall in a box. It could also be a great blues pedal with lower gain settings. The DLS is a perfect pedal to build around.

The CMATMODS Deeelay is a simple and warm sounding digital delay. The repeats are amongst the cleanest I have heard from any delay. It's affordable and dead quiet when engaged. Have fun.

10. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

i would go with a electro harmonix memory boy and a pitch black tuner, i would also buy them used.

11. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Thanks for the tip :aok

12. PRSman25

PRSman25 Member

I think I'm going to go with the DLS and a Hardwire CR-7 chorus unit.
    Seems like a good combo because I don't vary tones a whole lot, and when I do, its usually with the PRS.

Thanks guys!

13. yabasta

yabasta Member

Great!

glad you didn't get the tuner!

14. prickley

prickley Member

Absolutley Vintage without the price. They have a Freek Out! Pedal like a Gibson Maestro Fuzztone FZ-1A... like Krieger...Townsen..Richards..Early 60s...Beatles Revolution thing going.... I saw Demo of Pedal of Dweezilzappaworld.com and the pedal ROCKS! I think he uses the Bety Bdbst as well.... A clean/boost overdrive? The Coily Fuzz is on You Tube...sounds like Hendrix in a Box:)

15. richpjr

richpjr Member

I have both of those pedals and am very pleased with them.

16. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

You really want chorus?

I've had a bunch. I end up not using them, unless the boss really wants it. I find rotary and phase effects more useful and sound better in mono applications.

Whose chorus sound do you like?

17. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

if you're getting started on pedals, i would suggest getting a line 6 m9. it will have at least one of almost any pedal that you could want in it. This will help you decide if (down the roads) you want to flesh out any of these effects into a single, high quality hardware piece. Just because it has so much in it, it will keep you from spending your money on things you dont need right away. and its got a great looper to practice along with!

18. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

you're very close to being able to afford one. and with it you get your tuner, dirt, modulation, delay, reverb, filters, and looper. its a handy little box!

19. PRSman25

PRSman25 Member

@ arthur rotfeld
    I use the chorus on my POD xt as of right now, and have it set to Sine with heavy depth and 50% mix and find that it nails the John Frusciante chorus tone when I want it to.
    But usually its just John's chorus tone that I'm after.

@deathbyska76
    I have used many Line 6 products and we dont mix well. I still use the XT Live, but its taken many months to come to terms with it.
    I have a feeling I am going to be very happy with my purchases.

20. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

If you haven't already spent the cash, be sure to consider some of the Barber line. Super tone, great prices, rock-solid build quality, and a nice guy behind it all. :)