I have $600 and want an amp that can be used from jazz to metal...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by farwest1, May 2, 2019.

1. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

It's definitely clean and brutal. But it's also incredibly heavy, which you need to consider if you have to move it around …

2. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

IMO, JC120s are a bargain right now. Just boost it with your dirt/fuzz pedal of choice.

3. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

A lot of people suggesting the Orange TH30 in this thread, but whether it's a fit for you is kind of up in the air. The drive on the amp should get you pretty close to whatever you want with your metal tones, but the clean channel is not jazzy at all. It's a decent clean channel, definitely not sparkling clean though, and I can happily play jazz with my TH30, but it's not anything like traditional jazz tones. So whether that amp will suit your needs comes down to how traditional a jazz tone you need.

Someone suggested the Blackstar HT 40, which seems like it'd be a pretty good starting point. IMO the Blackstars are capable of making a lot of good, versatile tones, but just don't do anything great.

For your budget I don't think you'll find an amp that truly excels in both jazz and metal, so perhaps you will want to decide which sound you want to nail, and which sound you'll be ok with passable. If you lean more metal, I'd lean towards the TH30 (might be hard to get with out at least a little bit more budget). If it's really important for you to nail clean jazz tones, I'd say go grab a used Twin Reverb and a couple heavy dirt pedals to get your metal sounds.

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Blackstar HT Club 40 MkII. Clean to metal no problem. They are on sale at GC for $599.

It was too dark for me, so I sold it. If you get a few more $$ you can get a Fender BassBreaker 30R. It's crazy good. My new addiction.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  5. KoolThing

KoolThing Supporting Member

Newest version of the Marshall DSL40 seems to be a really solid choice if you need this kind of compromise. If you don't have to switch between those two tones on the fly, some of the older Boogies could work, as others have suggested. Not sure why the insistence on tube in this price range, but if you put that aside one of the Quilter channel-switchers would work. Look into Rivera's offerings, as well, as they have terrible resale value, which is good for you as a buyer.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, bc I'm a "clean platform" type of person who prefers pedals for shades of dirt.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    You are asking a lot of a valve amp in that price range.
    Vox amps, as any amp, can be used for any style you want, if you can dial it in. I've used metal amps for 1940's jazz right up to but not including metal, which I don't play.

Fender amps, as with Vox have their own specific tones, depending on the model you are using.

You might look into Marshall amps, Vox, and Fender but remember that most lower end valve amps are not made for metal, as it requires more valves in the pre section then amps in that price range have.

You could add a foot toy to it and that would help you get to metal level saturation. Marshall amps have been known to handle foot toys very well, so you may have luck in using the amp you choose for metal that way.

7. patriot7

patriot7 Member

Marshall DSL40CR for sure.

I just picked up a Vox AC30S1 at Guitar Center for $699. 30 watts, 1x12 speaker with a massive sound. A good amount of gain on board but hit it with a boost or an OD pedal and it can get very overdriven. And an amazing clean tone with the master up and gain set low.

Pretty much a steal for that price point!

8. fusgtr

fusgtr Member

Mesa Boogie DC-5 (or DC-3).
    Blackface clean, Texas blues crunch and lead channel a cross between Mark and Recto.
    With the 5 band graphic EQ you can do ANYTHING.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    pipedwho, AA864, GenoVox and 4 others like this.
  9. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

Find a Mesa DC-5. I've seen them languish on Craigslist for weeks under $500.

I had one for several years and sold it to a friend for about that much. Rich, bold cleans. Aggressive lead channel. FX Loop, independent reverb settings per channel, flexible graphic EQ assignment, silent recording, slave out. I still marvel that these don't sell for more; it's such a great package.

GenoVox and DRS like this.
  10. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

If your serious about your post look into Polytone. It'll cover your Jazz desires, some of 'em have livable OD/Dost - or add a pedal.

11. Ejay

Ejay Member

Jc’s have an unique feature which makes every single drive pedal sound bad ;)

My 2 cents..those amps made a name for themselves in their time cause they were loud as f***, stayed clean up to the point where ears started bleeding..and were build like tanks...and had a chorus...f**** stereo!!! ;)
    But by todays standerds....its a very lifeless sterile amp. For a jazz gig id take almost any other modern amp over it. Idnk any jazz player still playing those either.
    And for overdrive...let alone metal...were can I sign for a 200,- jet city/bulgera/peavey valveking amp?

Lution, GenoVox and DiAmoroso like this.
  12. EmandoDave

EmandoDave Member

A used Laney VC30 in either 112 or 212 can be had in your budget. Great amps.

13. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

$550 MESA DC5
    I was going to come on here to say Mesa DC 5 also, lots and lots already suggesting the DC series and I totally agree but put my support behind tbe DC5 specifically.

Overall, my belief is only Mesa will get you where you want to be in an all tube amp (which I believe is an unneccessary criteria). With Mesa's you have to find the speaker that speaks to you. Mesa spec / rebranded Cele"s don't do anything to my satisfaction. $5-600 anywhere for a half dozen great tones.

$350 PEAVEY HYBRID (HERITAGE VTX) w/ ADA PREAMP
    Next thought is Peavey hybrid amps like 2 channel Heritage. Best jazz tones! and an eq that can handle any weirdness due to the parametric mid control on Ch2 and standard Fender Twin style stack on Ch1. The 6L6 tube power amp and stock scorpions dial in excellent with jazz to metal tones. Tight bottom end and massive dynamic range. Killer sleeper amp you can get for $150. It is in my top 3 amps of the 15 amps Ive owned - and the absoute cheapest. With the money you save - for another $200 you can get an ADA MP1 or MP2 preamp and have bags and bags and bags of tube preamp OD tones of every gain level.. and matches particularly well with the Peavey. Thats 350 bucks for a totally pro sounding rig with about 15 great tones.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    EmandoDave likes this.
  14. buzzard blues bird

buzzard blues bird Member

Marshall dual reverb 4100 or 4500. Jcm 900. Mesa stiletto deuce 1 or 2.

15. harvey j

harvey j Member

IF you have good ears the Katana will not please you, it is not as good as this forum rates it. Used hot rod will be hard to beat, or the super champ x2.

16. harvey j

harvey j Member

This guy is right on with the Peavey hybrid amps, classic, duece.

Tommy_G likes this.
  17. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I have $600 and want an amp that can be used from jazz to metal...

This is a great thread ... yes, PayPal me the $600 and I will tell you which amp you should buy.

:rolleyes:

18. farwest1

farwest1 Member

Only if you send me the amp itself....

19. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

20. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Peavey Backstage 30 :D

Laurence likes this.