I Have 9 Amps. Thinking Of Unloading 5. Let See If There's A Concensus...

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
So I have the following amps (it should be Kotex I also have a Fryette Power Station):

PWE Event Horizon
Suhr Badger 35
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa Boogie TA-15
Mesa Boogie Mini-Rectifier 25
Fender SF Bassman
Richter RS-22 Tweed Bassman
Lil' Dawg Tweed Super

I'm thinking of unloading 5 and keeping for (reasons don't matter, but it's not a financial need. If that was the case all but the cheapest would go). OK well the reason is-

I have, in most aspects of my life, a minimalist mindeset. And did even with gear for most of my playing years. But since I've been able to afford and try lots of gear (and not just guitar gear) I've lost that minimalist mindset for music gear. So I've decided to slowly try to align that back with the rest of my life. Plus I believe restrictions are creative. I get crippled by options. No, 4 maps isn't minimalist. But I'm not ready to go back to one just yet. Maybe next year.

The 4 I'm considering keeping are:

PWE Event Horizon
Suhr Badger 35
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

To me, this would give me most of the tones I now use the most and enough variety that there isn't too much over lap. It's very hard for me not to consider the Mark V (or my of the Mesa's) as I've played Mesa's since I've been playing seriously (teens to now- 42).

But as always, I'm Interested to see others thoughts on the matter. And please refrain from "Get rid of all the Mesa's because they all suck anyways.." comments. It's just needlessly inflammatory to what's an otherwise fun thread.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not you (obviously), but if it were me I'd keep the Mark V, Carmen ghia, and the SF bassman and ditch the rest. Then pick up a 2204 and play that most of the time :D

Mtnbkr123

"So I have the following amps (it should be Kotex I also have a Fryette Power Station):

PWE Event Horizon
Suhr Badger 35
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa Boogie TA-15
Fender SF Bassman
Lil' Dawg Tweed Super..."

I'd definitely include the Mark V among those you keep (mostly because it is #1 on my acquisition list).

But I would also definitely ditch the Kotex...:aok

Last edited:

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I feel like you, trapped in my GAS and trying to refind my freedom :
Sell all the ones you haven't played for one year !

I play all of them all the time. Not everyday but certainly weekly.

I play the Suhr, Richter, Mini-Rec, PWE and a Mark V the most though. Richter and Suhr almost daily.

It's a tough choice as all of these have been acquired with much thought. I love all of them. So....

bigben55

I agree with your choices, the only caveat being which tweed 1)is more useful to you, and 2)which you think sounds better. I get the whole "widest range of tones and usable wattages" thing. But some amps are special and truly make you sound like "you." For example, my 66 Super Reverb isn't much useful to me at all, but I love it so much I could never sell it. Which amp (s) are like that for you?

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member
Keep your favorite on any that overlap, and try to leave yourself with as much variety as possible...is what I do...and it sounds like what you've already done. I'd just trust your instincts on what to move. If you're unsure just keep it for the time being and sell the ones you are sure about. My 2 cents...

BlueRiff

A worthy quest trying to move from gear auditions to playing and growing your knowledge. You are right - walking into the jam room stacked with tons of amps will make you start ABing sounds into infinity and no practice or learning will happen. I don't know which amps you should keep but think what you're doing will focus your playing. Good luck!

Stu Cats

I like the OP's list as it sits. It would keep me perfectly happy and cover many styles.

swiveltung

Well.... just think about the various size gigs you need to cover. I would keep:

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia For lightweight and smaller gigs
Mesa Boogie Mark V or Fender SF Bassman for bigger gigs/outdoors
Richter RS-22 Tweed Bassman, Lil' Dawg Tweed Super or Suhr Badger 35 for some clubs (I dont know these amps well though)

corn husk bag

I'd keep the Richter RS-22, sell the rest and get a BF Vibrolux Reverb and a Speed Shop Tweed Deluxe:p

So there!

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Well, if you're a minimalist, I'd say keep whichever amps get you the tones you want at the volumes you want. If you want a pedal platform, I say keep the SF Bassman or the Mark V. The PWE is the only one with EL34s, so that would be a fun flavor. The Ghia is just one of those amps everyone seems to regret selling after they've sold it. Then?? Probably one of the tweeds. I know Richter makes quality stuff but it would also sell for a higher price than the Lil Dawg. But I think that lineup (and I would probably go with the Bassman, since it's easy to mode one channel to get a different flavor) would give you a pretty wide palette to choose from.

deathrider817

So I have the following amps (it should be Kotex I also have a Fryette Power Station):

PWE Event Horizon
Suhr Badger 35
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Mesa Boogie TA-15
Fender SF Bassman
Lil' Dawg Tweed Super

I'm thinking of unloading 5 and keeping for (reasons don't matter, but it's not a financial need. If that was the case all but the cheapest would go). OK well the reason is-

I have, in most aspects of my life, a minimalist mindeset. And did even with gear for most of my playing years. But since I've been able to afford and try lots of gear (and not just guitar gear) I've lost that minimalist mindset for music gear. So I've decided to slowly try to align that back with the rest of my life. Plus I believe restrictions are creative. I get crippled by options. No, 4 maps isn't minimalist. But I'm not ready to go back to one just yet. Maybe next year.

The 4 I'm considering keeping are:

PWE Event Horizon
Suhr Badger 35
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

To me, this would give me most of the tones I now use the most and enough variety that there isn't too much over lap. It's very hard for me not to consider the Mark V (or my of the Mesa's) as I've played Mesa's since I've been playing seriously (teens to now- 42).

But as always, I'm Interested to see others thoughts on the matter. And please refrain from "Get rid of all the Mesa's because they all suck anyways.." comments. It's just needlessly inflammatory to what's an otherwise fun thread.
It takes 1 hell of a man to do this you know!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom