I have a Chase Bliss Audio Habit on order, but I'm starting to wonder...

Chumlee

Hi there,

I have a Chase Bliss Audio Habit on order, but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the devices I already have might duplicate the functionality of the Chase Bliss Audio Habit (at least close enough).

It's a bit hard to tell how much overlap there might be in the devices I already have versus the Chase Bliss Audio Habit, so I'm hoping someone here might have the insight to let me know if the Chase Bliss Audio Habit brings something truly novel to forefront, or if the devices I already have can cover much the same ground, and thus the Chase Bliss Audio Habit would collect dust (expensive dust).

I understand that each of my devices has at least somewhat proprietary functionality, and I understand it's a matter of effort and chance.

Hopefully some of you guys have had a chance to try it out the Chase Bliss Audio Habit compared to other devices!

Boss RC-505mk II
Boss SY-1000
Boss SY-300
Chase Bliss Blooper
Chase Bliss Mood
DigiTech TimeBender
Earthquake Devices Rainbow Machine
Empress Effects ZOIA
Godin Session Custom TriplePlay
Hologram Electronics Microcosm
Korg Kronos X
Line 6 Helix
Poly Effects Beebo
Red Panda Particle
Red Panda Tensor
Roland GR-55
Roland VG-99
Strymon NightSky
Strymon Volante

Last edited:

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Yo chum,
If I could, I urge you to take your time with habit. So many people are flipping them and it’s just because they haven’t taken the time with them. Habit is insane. But there are layers upon layers.

When I first got mood, I spent a month with it, and at the end, it had become one of my fav all time pedals. With habit, I have taken 1 modifier and spent a few weeks with it. I love it if it was just that one modifier once I threw in spread and scan.

Anyway, just wanna encourage you to take your time and treat it as something that is unique for multiple reasons and not just a hit take on their greatest hits.

Chumlee

Hi Reyybarra,

If it's one thing I am good at is taking my time, however can't the Empress Effects ZOIA*, Poly Effects Beebo*, Chase Bliss Blooper, Chase Bliss Mood, etc. get me into the same ballpark?

Not owning the Chase Bliss Audio Habit, nor being able to YouTube any meaningful comparisons to other devices that could emulate it, means I cannot know the answer, but perhaps you do?

If you are correct that a lot of people are quickly getting frustrated with their Chase Bliss Audio Habit, and thus are selling them, it could be I can buy one used to save cash.

* I forgot to add that I also own (I edited my first post):
Empress Effects ZOIA
Poly Effects Beebo

I am not sure what you mean when you mention that the Chase Bliss Audio Habit can be used as "just a hit take on their greatest hits". Are you suggesting that the Chase Bliss Audio Habit can cover a number of the other Chase Bliss devices such as the Blooper, Mood etc? Or are you suggesting that a number of people use only a few Chase Bliss Audio Habit patches?

Last edited:
Having a Mood, Blooper, and Habit (and having spent quite a lot of time with each), I can say confidently that the overlap you'll find between the Habit and Mood is strictly that they're both delays - in other words, very minimal.

Tonally, almost completely different to my ear. Functionally, also completely different. The smooth time of Mood vs. stepped time of Habit is a pretty stark variance, for my usage anyway. To get these two in the same ballpark, you'd have to engage the clock dipswitch on Mood to replicate the intervallic changes you get on Habit's quantized stepped time modifier. You might be able to emulate the low-clock filtering on Mood with Habit but it would be pretty minute work. Now, on the Drolo side of Mood, you may get some commonality, but again to make these two do the same thing or to use similarly would take a lot of time and work and wouldn't seem like natural application - what comes easy to one would require lots of tweaking/dipswitches in the other. And Mood would be much more predictable here, whereas Habit needs time to develop into that 3min buffer.

Honestly, the Blooper-as-Delay + modifiers is a better way to think about Habit - far more overlap there - lots of Blooper features, especially Stability and modifiers, are key elements in Habit. That's primarily how I was using Blooper til I got Habit, too: Blooper-as-Delay (ie Habit) and Blooper-as-Looper meet just about all my delay/looping needs. But wow the Mood delay is so sweet...

In sum, there is so much more you can get out of Mood than just delay and if you're not using Blooper as a delay, the Habit should stand alone nicely for you.

Chumlee

Thanks much Craig Bodenschatz,

I appreciate you summing up that the Chase Bliss Blooper, Mood and Habit are different enough from each other to warrant separate purchases; but what about my more broad-based question?

In particular as it relates to my powerful devices such as Empress Effects ZOIA, Poly Effects Beebo, Strymon NightSky and Hologram Electronics Microcosm. Note that I did not want to list all my toys in my first post, but you get the idea, for example I have two iPads loaded with quite amazing generative / experimental audio apps, not easily found outside of the iOS world.

I'm hoping someone here might have the insight to let me know if the Chase Bliss Audio Habit brings something truly novel to forefront, or if the devices I already have (see my first post) can cover much the same ground, and thus the Chase Bliss Audio Habit would collect dust (expensive dust).

I am not sure what you mean by the "Drolo side of Mood" nor what you mean by "that 3min buffer" kind sir.

FYI, I would not be using any of the Chase Bliss pedals for standard use such as delay, as I am more than adequately covered in that regard already (see my first post list).

Last edited:
Thanks much Craig Bodenschatz,

I appreciate you summing up that the Chase Bliss Blooper, Mood and Habit are different enough from each other to warrant separate purchases; but what about my more broad-based question?

In particular as it relates to my powerful devices such as Empress Effects ZOIA, Poly Effects Beebo, Strymon NightSky and Hologram Electronics Microcosm. Note that I did not want to list all my toys in my first post, but you get the idea, for example I have two iPads loaded with quite amazing generative / experimental audio apps, not easily found outside of the iOS world.

I'm hoping someone here might have the insight to let me know if the Chase Bliss Audio Habit brings something truly novel to forefront, or if the devices I already have (see my first post) can cover much the same ground, and thus the Chase Bliss Audio Habit would collect dust (expensive dust).

I am not sure what you mean by the "Drolo side of Mood" nor what you mean by "that 3min buffer" kind sir.

FYI, I would not be using any of the Chase Bliss pedals for standard use such as delay, as I am more than adequately covered in that regard already (see my first post list).
That's what I get for not rereading before replying - somewhere my brain misread "Habit" as "Mood" somewhere in there, thus a comparison of the two. Going back now, I see my error. Apologies! All that to say, my experience among your devices only overlaps with the Chase Bliss pedals - can't speak to the rest, unfortunately.

Drolo side = Mood's microlooper, the right-side channel; 3min buffer = Habit's ability to record a static or evolving 3 minutes of input. Honestly, Habit's 3 minute buffer is not something I've tried much. From what I've heard it's a very unique feature, though not much use to me.

saltbird

You really don't need to write out "Chase Bliss Audio Habit" every time you refer to it. You can just call it Habit as it's already been established that's what this thread is about. Just an FYI for what it's worth—not trying to be snarky or anything.

Seance

Here is a video showing how to use the 3-minute buffer of
the Habit in "a song context".

As for the "Drolo side of Mood"—the pedal was made combining
half from David Rolo of Drolo FX and the other half from
Old Blood Noise Endeavors. As stated on the Chase Bliss website.

https://www.chasebliss.com/mood
Micro-looping

Micro-looping

MOOD features an always-listening looper. It’s a bit like fishing for music: The channel is continuously recording until you turn it on, and then you see what you get. Instant gratification.
Designed by Drolo FX.

Spatial effects

Spatial effects

The wet channel is a twist on the familiar ambient palette. Reverb descends into frequency-shifting at a turn of a knob, skipping doppelgängers emerge from the auto-sampling Slip mode.
Designed by Old Blood Noise Endeavors.

pickleweed

i think you would have some decent overlap between the habit and the blooper depending on how you want to run the delay. the blooper can do delay, with similar modifiers. more at a time actually.

but it wont do the delay line back into itself, or the 3 minute thing.

the mood, microcosm, volante and the habit are pretty dramatically different from each other with little overlap. havent tried any of the others.

Rusty Dutch

Gold Supporting Member
You have a Beebo, which will certainly do what all the Chase Bliss pedals do if you spend the time with it. You have a Zoia, too. You definitely don’t need the Chase Bliss pedals.

Do you use the Blooper and Mood currently? I’d guess your answer to whether you will use the Habit is here.

If you prefer the CB platform and instant gratification to the time-eating rabbit holes the Xoia and the Beebo present, then it’s no bad thing.

Rocksully

I absolutely love the Habit. I sold my Blooper as I wasnt using it to the full potential, and although the Habbit is expensive I have it as a Set it and Forget It pedal, because the setting I have I LOVE and use constantly. It is now one of my favorite pedals.

Chumlee

Hi Rusty Dutch,
I suppose it is the more dedicated functionality of the Chase Bliss products that holds my interest, versus the less restricted functionality of my Empress Effects ZOIA, Poly Effects Beebo and two loaded iPads.

It's rather an irony that Chase Bliss products often get labeled as complex and deep, when by point of comparison to my above listed devices, and as you aptly point out, the Chase Bliss products' advantage is more akin to a fixed user interface combined with what more closely amounts to instant gratification.

Chumlee

Hi Rocksully,
I do like the idea of finding a few really-love settings and calling it a day (or night).

Chumlee

Hi pickleweed,
Yes I am aware that the partial list of my devices can do different things, it was simply easier to copy-paste a list some of the devices, so as to give an interesting scope to the thread by point of comparison to my prospective purchase of the Chase Bliss Audio Habit.

Chumlee

Hi Seance,
Thanks for the clarifications. I suppose I should read up more on this stuff, however sometimes I'd simply rather plug & play, or plug & pray or plug & pay. After-all, I am a living antique given I was gigging before Dave Smith invented MIDI. I get a little tech-weary from time to time; nothing too frightful or insurmountable mind you.

Last edited:

Chumlee

Hi Craig Bodenschatz,
Apologies not required at all, and your posts are much appreciated. It's just my thread among many, by a man among many, chatting about effects aplenty.

It's a veritable cornucopia of sound manipulation hardware out there in the vast expanses of pedal-maker-land. In fact, this era may well be a high water mark. Only future history will tell the tale, if anyone is left to hear it, given the risks of nuclear holocaust, ecological collapse and overpopulation.

Alfred E. Neuman: What, Me Worry?

Last edited:

Seance

I have a Chase Bliss Audio Habit on order, but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the devices I already have might duplicate the functionality of the Chase Bliss Audio Habit (at least close enough).
Listening/watching somebody like Dustin Wong might help
illustrate some of the things that can be done by lining up
a series of relatively straightforward delays and loopers.

That way you can record things onto one or other or other of
them with their output volumes all the way down and then
bring that recorded snippet "up" into the mix. Perhaps that
way you can approximate some of the "happy accidents" that
the Habit offers with its always-listening buffer?

The Habit seems to allow the ability to scan back through and reintroduce
audio snippets, which, depending on how you have your other pedals
set up, might or might not be easy to replicate.

Experimenting with what you've already got seems like the first step.

Chumlee

Thank you for the links Seance,

Yes it's true that the gear I already have can be programmed / configured / connected in interesting ways, such that at least to some extent, what I already own can cover some of the audio territory of the Chase Bliss Audio Habit. In fact, the gear I already have can do vastly more than the Chase Bliss Audio Habit, in many respects.

Whether the gear I already have, can, with proprietary directness, copy the ease of functionality of the Chase Bliss Audio Habit, in combination with the specific sonic signatures of the Chase Bliss Audio Habit, is another question altogether-altogether, and it would appear that the answer is: no-probably-not. Which of course is not to say, that I am at presently particularly limited by the hardware / software I currently own, as surely I will not live long enough to explore it all fully, but don't call me Shirley.

PS: I'm not unfamiliar with some of the early masters of multiple phrase looping such as David Torn, Robert Fripp, and I do have a Boss RC-505mkII which allows precisely that (and much more) as do a number of other devices / apps I have not specifically listed.

The problem I hear with Dustin Wong and friends, is that their underlying level of musicianship on their chosen instrument is rather average and it shows, whereas musicians like David Torn and Robert Fripp are, independent of applied processing, very good indeed, and it shows, at least to my ear.

That's not intended to be a critique of all the Wongs and the Wong-wannabes, all the power to them, of which I would put myself squarely in the Wong-category, despite my years of live gigging playing/singing pop tunes (or perhaps precisely because of it); noteworthy is that for my live gigging, such sonic territory has always been pretty much verboten, unless I wanted to get fired.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom