• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I Have a Confession....I Don't Get the DMM Craze

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
I've had two big box DMMs - one '90s RI and, currently, a big box '00s reissue (Disclaimer: I've also got a DMMTT1100 that I do love).

I gotta say, I just don't get the obsession with these. I mean, they're good delays ( I LOVE The Edge), but...I just got an Ibanez DE-7, and I immediately liked that better. What's wrong with me?

Michael AE

Not everyone likes the same gear, I guess. I just bought the MMTT550 and I couldn't be happier. Chose it over the Timeline and Timefactor, which I didn't think I would, because I thought I needed the presets. Not with the MM. Everything I do sounds great with just a couple of twists of a couple of knobs and if I want digital or crazy, I prefer my 2290 and Eventide Eclipse anyway.

ejkennedy

I've had two big box DMMs - one '90s RI and, currently, a big box '00s reissue (Disclaimer: I've also got a DMMTT1100 that I do love).

I gotta say, I just don't get the obsession with these. I mean, they're good delays ( I LOVE The Edge), but...I just got an Ibanez DE-7, and I immediately liked that better. What's wrong with me?
Nothing's wrong with you. In fact everythings right with you. Your preference for tone isn't predicated on price, prestige, or popularity. Bravo.;). Always liked the dmm. Just prefer digital delays. The H9 will be my only one I use when it arrives.

RockinRob

If you are judging the DMM by the quality of the repeats, then a lot of digital gear is going to beat it. But the DMM adds a warmth to the overall tone, and the modulation is sublime. The DMM adds some dirt though, no doubt about it.

D Rock

I never got the DMM craze either, until I played one and fell in love. Either you love it or you don't I guess?

ejkennedy

I never got the DMM craze either, until I played one and fell in love. Either you love it or you don't I guess?
Nah I don't think so. I like it. That's about it. Don't love it. Don't hate it. I don't think there's a such thing as love/hate pedal. Except in the cyber universe known as TGP. I played early model DMM years ago and it was a blast. Analog goodness.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I'm in the same camp. I've owned a few, including a couple of Analogman-modded ones, and I always find them too noisy. The repeats are beautiful, and I am fan of analog delays, but the grainy white noise always turns me off the DMM.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Loved mine when I had it, but found it too fragile, mechanically. Felt like it was going to break every time I stepped on it. Sounded killer though!

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Gold Supporting Member
The DMM is the only analog delay I've played that I really like.

:hide

JSteed

I haven't really compared the quality of repeats or 'magic' with anything else, but for me I love it because it can do pretty all the way through to disgusting and then some.

Last edited:

BluesHarp

The DMM is the only analog delay I've played that I really like.

:hide
This makes me want to try it more than anything else because I've tried ALL the best ones except a dmm.. Which is embarrassing because really that's the one analog delay talked about and more copied than any other if I'm not mistaken. I even waited four years for a toneczar echoczar and baby and I knew within a day or two that analog delay wasn't my thing.

D Rock

Trust me, try one. Even the 90s Big boxes are great. I will say the washy repeats aren't for everyone, but they sit just perfect to my ears, DDM can do no wrong in my book!

ruger9

My only complaint was the lack of delay time... I wanted more than 300ms (if you're lucky). I've toyed with the idea of the 550/1100, but have read mixed reviews.

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
My only complaint was the lack of delay time... I wanted more than 300ms (if you're lucky). I've toyed with the idea of the 550/1100, but have read mixed reviews.
A stock DMM can usually can get around 500ms. (+ or - 50 ms depending on the calibration), but yeah more delay time would be nice.

ruger9

A stock DMM can usually can get around 500ms. (+ or - 50 ms depending on the calibration), but yeah more delay time would be nice.
Since when? To get anywhere NEAR 500ms, they have to be modded, and then there's extra noise involved when clocking them that high.

Class5

Hey, I use a Klon Klone as a dirt pedal. All the pundits tell me I'm doing it wrong, but it sounds great, so I just ignore them. There is no right or wrong, and what is fashionable or popular here is seen as uncool on another site. It's all ******** really.

cas29

I personally can't NOT have a memory man on my board. lol

I love my 550tt. Before that I had a couple XOs. I just love the sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom