I have a confession.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by webs, Sep 13, 2006.

1. webs

webs Supporting Member

So every time I saw someone mention that non-TBP pedals suck tone, Boss pedals suck tone, etc etc, I blew it off. Not because I didn't believe it, but because I figured, I only use three pedals, one's TBP, another is buffered (Boss, only one shouldn't be a problem, right?) and the last one- well, it's a non-tbp wah, but come on, one non-tbp and one buffered pedal? And anyway, that's all nitpicky audiophile hearsay anyway.

I recently took everything out except my Java Boost (tbp, on all the time anyway.) SWEET LORD! That's where all the tone went. Apparently two non-tbp pedals is enough to make a very noticeable difference in sound.
    This is probably old news to most of you, and I am sure many of you are shaking your heads, wondering why it took me so long. Sorry. So this is a PSA, just in case you're in the same spot I was in a couple of hours ago:

Non-TBP pedals are tone roach motels. Tone goes in...and never comes out.

That is all. Anyone want a boss compressor or a 535Q? :D

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

My experience differs from yours but if that's how you feel, by all means, sell your pedals.

3. webs

webs Supporting Member

^That's the definition of YMMV, isn't it? I'm always amazed at how two people hear two completely different things through the same gear. To each his own, indeed.

4. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Jon,

Your 535Q can probably be easily modded for TBP by anyone who is comfortable working on pedals. The Fulltone site has an excellent wiring diagram showing how to wire the 2P2T footswitch in a wah pedal being converted to TBP.

5. Frethog

Frethog Member

Nice! I'll be stealing that. It's more pronounced when you have a busy board, but it could happen with just a few combinations with below-average connections and improper sequence.

6. diegs

diegs Member

what about something like a compressor which you may leave on all the time anyway? is there a benefit to tbp in that situation (i'm trying to figure out which pedals are worth splurging for, and for which you can get away with cheap versions)

7. bullet69

bullet69 Member

if you leave it on then tbp is not a issue

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I have 3 non-TB pedals on the board, one of them a Boss DD-6. Makes no tonal difference if the Boss and Maxon are in the chain or not... which is a good thing. And my tone actually gets a smidge clearer and more lively with the Morley heading the chain rather than the Teese which was TBP.

-Ben

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Webs, try putting the Boss back in without the Wah. Wahs are horrible tone suckers on their own, I doubt the Boss by itself would make such a drastic difference.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - don't throw out the baby with the bath water...

A bunch of T/B pedals in your chain will have the same effect. Some buffers are better than others. Non-T/B wahs are huge tone suckers - if you like your wah, just get it modded for T/B.

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

Get a BYOC Comp Clone for TB, and mod the 535 for TB.... it's pretty easy to do. I mod'd my Vox for TB and it took all of 10 minutes. I bet the 535 is the main culprit for the tone sucking. Non-TB Wahs are notorious for it.