I have a couple questions about the DT25

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BigGee, Feb 28, 2012.

1. BigGee

BigGee Member

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and order one. Traditionally, I like combo amps, and all I've owned have been open back. I think the DT25 would have enough volume since I mic up almost every gig, so it would just be my monitor. I typically play 100-150 person clubs. In the past I've used a Classic 30 and it was plenty loud.

I'm wondering what the difference is in the front ported, closed back 112 cab & the head and the 112 combo? Is the combo open back? I would assume so, the tubes need to breath. Any ideas why they would be designed differently? What tonal properties would change?

Thanks

2. SquashPile

SquashPile Member

Hmm.. check this out pics on page two. The extension cab is closed back.

3. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I don't have a DT25 head and cab, but closed back cabinets generally project more and have a tighter tone, and the port adds bass to a small cabinet. I've ordered the combo, which has a more spacious sound because of the cabinet reflecting from the rear.

4. green72

green72 Member

I have a question too.

Why does it make such a great combo with the HD500 over any other tube amp?

5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The HD is IMHO kinda picky as to what it is run through. Some rigs just don't sound good with it.

The DT is a cool little amp by itself and with the HD it is a great rig.

The combo is partly open backed (I imagine for the tubes) which will make it more airy though at the expense of bottom end and punch.

The DT25 has alot of bottom end for a little amp and shines with different setups. The Fender/Vox tones really sound great OB where the more gainy stuff works much better CB. I guess there is a slight tradeoff and I'd go for what you prefer tonally.

6. SquashPile

SquashPile Member

Because the L6 power amp switching voodoo based on the original power amp?

Vid

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. BigGee

BigGee Member

I have tried my HD500 with my Fender Deluxe VM & Marshall DSL401. Sounded better with the Fender, I suspect due to the speaker in the combo. I also tried it through a 212 with a V30 & a G12H30...didn't like that combination at all, but I don't like it with the heads I've tried it with either.

I play mostly 80's rock Marshally type stuff, & I like a tight bottom end :dude, so I might like the closed back cab. A trip to Guitar Center might be in order.

8. BigGee

BigGee Member

Local GC hasn't even heard of the DT series amps? Ordered one from MF today.