1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I have a dirty Blonde in my living room!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Laroosco!, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I couldn't help but buy the damn thing.

I did some dealing with the guy since the 10" speakers are not original. They sound pretty good though.

Plus I'm not sure that the grille cloth is original. These are supposed to have wheat or oxblood, right? It doesn't show in the pictures but the grille cloth is gold but all the pics I've seen of Blonde Tremo's have wheat or Oxblood depending on the year.

Either way it is a great amp and it sounds killer.

Right now it has an old GE 5AR4(made in England) 2 EH 6L6's, and all 4 preamp tubes are Sovtek LPS's. I want to replace some of the preamp tubes for sure.
    Any recommendations for power tubes?

I'm gonna take the amp to Swarty soon for a check up :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Very nice, man! I'd throw some GE 6L6's in there. They're cheaper than the RCA's and sound great.

I may be mistaken, but it looks to me that the grill cloth on the head itself has also been replaced. It looks like it needs to be turned 90 degrees.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Ya I noticed that about the grille cloth. Eventually I'd like to replace it with more correct cloth

This thing really sounds great. I'd like to hear what a tube up grade will do.

4. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I wouldn't fret it one bit. It's a beautiful amp and that's an easy fix. That was a great find, especially with a matching cab. I believe that amp actually changes the bias for the tremelo effect. Super cool.

5. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

WOW, that thing is sweet! We've got to schedule that day to get together and play with all of our new amps!

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Definitely Jack. You are so damn close it would be no problem.

I'm gonna start looking into speakers for the cab. The speakers in there are black ceramics. No label, just numbers. I'll run them in a day or two to find out what they are. They sound alright but...
    ....I plugged the amp into my oversized Gibson 1x15 cab with a vintage AlNiCo Jensen and it came to life. I just wish that the 1x15 cab wasn't so damn big. I still have my Z Best so that's always an option :D

As far as 10's I think I might go with the Emi Ragin Cajuns.

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

How the grille cloth sound compared to the original?

The late ones are wheat, at least ours is; and ours is the last version.

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Fantastic amp! Find out which year it was to determine if oxblood or wheat, then fix that. I'd recommend a Weber 10A125 and a 10A150 or 10A125-P.

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I was told that it is a 62. The Fender Amp Field Guide says that the 62 models came with both wheat and oxblood cloth. Personally I prefer the wheat.

The tube chart on the inside says that it is a 69G-A circuit. I'm gonna try to date the amp as soon as I get back to my rehersal space and get the numbers I need from it.

Thanks for the info on the tubes. I won't be able to afford a full NOS lineup for a while but I'd like to get some RCA's in there one day.

10. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Nice score. I have virtually the same amp, a 62 with oxblood cloth, 6G9-B circuit. I got mine in very beat, player condition. I had the trusty tech give it full maintenance, cord to caps. I originally had some RCA small bottle 5881's in it but swapped over to the TAD small bottle 6L6's, sounds fantastic with either, not a ton of difference. I run a Sylvania 5751 in the normal channel preamp slot and a Phillips branded Mullard in the bright channel slot. Virtually every tube I've tried has sounded great in this amp, even the Peavey branded Chinese 6L6's that were in it when I got it! To me, speaker selection is more important with this amp. I like mine with twelves... after trying more than 12 speakers with this amp, the best matches are a Weber Chicago 12, Weber C1230 (think Celestion G12H30) and the Jensen c12N reissue. It does sound good through my Vibrolux speakers.... a Weber C10N and C10NQ mix. I like the additional low end the 12's provide as the amp isnt exactly bass heavy. I'd try a Weber Chicago 10 and maybe a reissue C10q in your cabinet. The reissue Jensens seem to be hated by most but I like the ceramic models I've tried. I havent cared for the alnico models at all, though.

enjoy your amp

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I keep coming back to this thread. I love that amp! I saw one similare in the movie "Ray". Now I am having dirty blonde lust.:D

12. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Took some pics in the daylight today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. big hair

big hair Member

That amp looks GREAT! Any chance of a few clips of it??

14. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Should be recording a demo in the nexxt month or so. I will use this amp exclusively. When it's done I will try to post some stuff.

15. straightblues

straightblues Member

I love the GE 6L6's. They sound huge in every amp I have tried them in. Fender also used them as stock tubes in several amps. They are cheaper than the RCA's and to me they sound better. I have about 8 pairs now for backup so I will be able to use them in my amps forever!!!!