I have a DT-10....why get a Pitchblack?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Jul 22, 2008.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

I like the pitchblack due to its size. But I'm not really pressed for space at this time and was wondering if there are any benefits to getting a pitchblack if I already have the DT-10? Is the tuning that noticebly better, quicker, etc...? Will it affect my signal differently?

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The Pitchblack is true bypass the DT10 is not, I've had the DT10 and the buffer does effect the tone its not bad but to my ears is noticable. I have the pitchblack now and it works nicely!

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I kinda like the dt10 better....I got both on diff boards.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

why do you like it better?

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Wait, the tb is why everyone was foaming at the mouth for the Dt10. And it's not tb? I almost bought one but went with the Boss instead-seems these other tuners come and go but the Boss is always around on too many boards to count.

6. drod2045

drod2045 Member

the accuracy of the pitchblack is the same as the dt-10. the pitchblack is true bypass and the dt-10 isnt; however, id dint notice any signal change with the dt-10 when i had it. the buffer, from what i heard, is very good. the display is much better with the pitchblack, and there are more tuning options/features if you want/need them. The size, as you've noticed, is significantly smaller too. The Boss TU-2 is not true bypass either and from many experiences, it is a tone sucker unless put at the end of the signal chain. The DT-10 might be best at the end too

if size is not pressing and you dont need extra tuning options, then i think there is no reason to switch. If you want more accuracy and a small size to boot - the new Sonic Research ST-200 may be your calling card

hope that helps!

7. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I have both and use both. Only real advantage with the PB over the DT-10 (in my eyes) is smaller footprint and DC power out for powering other pedals off of the PB.

8. 89strat

89strat Member

I remember somebody else mentioning that. Why is that?

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Who knows? It just does :dude

For the record, if you're looking to upgrade, there is no reason to not buy a Turbo-tuner (unless playing in direct sunlight is an issue, in which case the Korg and Boss tuners will be equally as useless)

10. drod2045

drod2045 Member

When I had a DT-10, mine was a the beginning of the chain, then 2nd in chain. I put it at the end and took it out, didnt notice any signal change/tone loss. Due to cable/pickup signal and impedence, there may be people with different experiences.

I'm not sure why this phenom exists, but it does.

11. dahn8

dahn8 Member

i switched primarily due to the size of the pitchblack. the true bypass is nice, i suppose, but the DT10's buffer seemed pretty good to me. So unless you are very picky about any tone change or need a small pedal (which you said you didn't need), I dont think there is a need to rush out and buy a Pitchblack.

Since the Pitchblack is true bypass, when you step on the pedal, it cuts out all signal to your amp. The DT10 has a mode where you can tune and have the signal pass through the pedal. I never used that option, but if you do, that should be something to think about as well.

I was happy with both and liked them both more than the Boss.