I Have A Few Questions About the Klon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I am looking at possibly ordering a Klon and I have a few questions.

I have a Carr Rambler and right now I’m using a Barber Direct Drive and a TIM with the Rambler.

I’m looking for another Overdrive flavor and I’m not looking for a boost pedal.

I want to go from pristine clean to Overdrive, at the click of the switch, just like I use the Direct Drive with the Rambler etc.

If I crank up the Rambler’s volume to about 8 to 10 and max the Rambler out, will that approximate the tone I would get from the Klon at somewhat of a reduced level when the Klon is engaged?

Is the Klon Transparent?

Will the Klon give me the goods at medium and low volume gigs?

Also, I listen to lots of clips of almost every other pedal that is talked about here, but I have yet to find anyone that has done some clips of the Klon.

Are there any really solid clips online that are representative of the Klon?

2. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

I've got a Klon for sale here if you, or anyone you know is looking for one. Click below!

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

What I can remember from my Tele+Rambler expeditions is Tele+Rambler = Heaven!!

I like the klon more for rhythm tones through the rambler it gave me some very sweet old rolling stones type OD.

4. blueprint

blueprint Member

Klon is better as gig volume.
    I wouldn't say it's transparent, as it gives a serious mid boost when you use it as an OD.
    You can find some clips at Tonefrenzy.com
    Regarding you first question, I don't know the Rambler amp, so...

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have a Klon, it's not my cup of tea. I only hold on to it because the prices keep going up. But it might be just the pedal for you, play through it, trust your ears, it's the only way to know for sure.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Actually the most recent Ebay prices have come DOWN on klons.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

To what? I bought it in 1994 for $235, am I still in the black?

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Hell no you're good. :D they had gotten as high as around $600 for a gold one. Now they have been going for around $480-525 a gold one. I bet your's is a silver one with the Centaur isnt it? I saw one of those sell recently for about $600 it was serial #55 IIRC. The seller had 0 feedback though.

9. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Mine is gold with a Centaur on it. I didn't see a serial number until I opened it up, in the corner of the PCB is says "029".