I have a Gibson Goldtone GA15RV, do I need a Marshall 18w?

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Gold Supporting Member
I've always wanted an 18w for the collection but picked up a GA15RV a couple of months back for a very good price. Has anyone done a side by side? Are they in the same ballpark or is the only commonality that they both have EL84's? Thanks.

s360guitarist

Supporting Member
Bump for info.

Always been interested in the GA15 for the very purpose of a lightweight amp that did not break the back...but there is that tempting 18w mini Marshall.

So, BMF, are you gonna buy one of each? :)

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Gold Supporting Member
Bump for info.

Always been interested in the GA15 for the very purpose of a lightweight amp that did not break the back...but there is that tempting 18w mini Marshall.

So, BMF, are you gonna buy one of each? :)
I've always liked the GA15RV's and found one for $250. Small 12" with reverb for $250? Yes please! It now sits in the living room next to the sofa for noodling but I also really like the way an 18w sounds. I may buy an 18w but would prefer (and probably will) roll my own.

Here's my GA15RV...

Last edited:

Veritas

Silver Supporting Member
The GA15 doesn't get enough love. Cool amp. I agree that it's more voxy than a true Marshall 18wt. One doesn't replace the other.

timmytVA

Silver Supporting Member
They're different enough to justify owning both. Friend has the Trace Elliot Velocette 12R which is essentially the same as the GA15RV. I have a Ceriatone 18w TMB. We played them side by side and through the same cabs recently. Definitely different animals.

Tim

Trending Topics