• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I have a insane Partscaster obsession.

M

Member 161675

I change things constantly. 2 of my PCs are always ready to play. I’ve built up enough parts to build at least 5 . When buy a new neck I’ll try it on 3 different guitars to find out what guitar sounds best with it. I spend hours ever weekend trying different pickups , terms, tuners etc. I need to get out of this house , and get more strings.
Am I the only one?

soundmuppet

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes. You are definitely odd and should stop this obsession immediately....only joking!!!

I now have multiple strats because...well, they are easy to mod and I’ve got various configs that meet my needs for home and stage. All you need is a few basic tools and a desire and it’s all good

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
I've been there. They trick is to stop before you overmod a really nice guitar. I have two really nice partsocasters. One where I swapped out three different bodies to find what I was looking for. The other was one made from leftover parts that just happened to sound killer once assembled. I enjoy the pursuit. Its kind of like gambling.

weevilcaster

Partscasters are definitely a lot of fun! I really want to have a b-bender put in one of my guitars & have three different parts Teles that are all “candidates” for the bender. Before I finally make my decision, I know there will be some neck, pickup & other hardware swaps. The funny thing is I might end up putting the bender in a completely different Tele...

Family Man

Silver Supporting Member
I’m just about there with you, OP. Thinking maybe I should jump into the deep end and maybe build some to sell instead of feeling guilty for building more than playing recently. I really do enjoy the building and tweaking process just like you.

I change things constantly. 2 of my PCs are always ready to play. I’ve built up enough parts to build at least 5 . When buy a new neck I’ll try it on 3 different guitars to find out what guitar sounds best with it. I spend hours ever weekend trying different pickups , terms, tuners etc. I need to get out of this house , and get more strings.
Am I the only one?
I guess I just got lucky but I buy a TON of partscasters used and never felt the need to swap a single thing out on any of 'em with the exception of a pair of YJM pickups that I didn't enjoy much.

Was just jammin' on my 3 favorites today:

Last edited:
M

Member 161675

Pickups drive me nuts. The best sounding PUs I have don’t have a name on it.They came from a early Xotic HSS but unlabeled, resistance on bridge is 15k. I have a Dimarzio AT1 that sounds great with a maple neck, sounds blaaa with RW. Replaced a OFR w/Gotoh ge1996t and the Gotoh sounds BIG.
its fun learning the difference one part will make.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Am I the only one?
It’s fun! You started thinking about starting your own company yet?? We all do, I think

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
I've built 4 partcaster basses, and 1 partcaster guitar (working on 2 others atm) since quarantine started. (Quarantine has been over a year now, oh my god.) But for me, once it's "done", I dont disassemble or mix parts with other instruments. The parts are now specific for that guitar or bass.

I order custom Warmoth necks and try to buy used Fender bodies. Hipshot for all the hardware and the pots are mixed between making my own, obsidian solderless, and 920D prewired.

Careful not to strip out the neck screw hole from removing it too often. It happened to an old neck I bought used.

Make sure you back the screws CCW and you'll feel a click, then start screwing in CW. That way you are not routing a new channel with the screw.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have single style that I pursue like all Strats or all Teles as I like to mix and match and try various configurations and mods.
This make for some messy projects that are not worth much but they are very much custom-built.;)

Tony Done

I don't have single style that I pursue like all Strats or all Teles as I like to mix and match and try various configurations and mods.
This make for some messy projects that are not worth much but they are very much custom-built.;)
The one I mentioned above is a strat body and tele neck, I had to modify the end of the neck to fit the strat pocket, and it helped that the 22-fret neck has a slight fretboard overhang.

I agree that a large part of the attraction of these is the "custom" or, less grandiosely, personalisation aspect. As far as I can remember, only two out of my current 16 guitars haven't been modded in some way.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
I've built (more accurately had them built for me) six 'casters, all from Warmoth parts. These were all done in quick succession - I was addicted. I'm sure I'd still be adding more except I actually started my own company that built guitars of my design. I liked variety: styles I had included a '72 Thinline, two 7/8 S models, one Soloist, one Velocity, and one T style. One thing to know is that you will realistically almost never get as much out of one as you spent on it if you sell it.