• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I have a new favorite speaker. WGS content! G12C/S

Red Planet

So I have been trying out an Andrews Spectraverb 20 watter and it comes with the WGS G12C/S in it. That little Andrews amp sounds so freakin good. Out of curiosity I put one of the WGS G12C/S in my 1x12 Mesa Boogie Maverick and it sounds really good in it.

I have never been one to like a C12N type speakers due to how they sound dirty. The cleans are great but the overdrive tones are not to my liking. Now I'm talking about recent vintage not 50 year old speakers.

So this WGS speaker sounds really good. It has a very BF pleasing clean tone, then it crunches really good, and it goes dark/smooth when you throw the gain to it. I never would have tried this type of speaker given my experience with similar speakers in the past but this thing is very good.

As compared to the stock Mesa/Celestion MC-90, I would say it's just a tad brighter, a bunch crunchier, and much smoother when overdriven. It also yields a kind of kwirky vintagey type tone in a way (if that makes any sense).

Just thought I would mention it.

Dang!

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Been using the WGS G12C/s in my Ramber for just about a year now - love it for all the reasons you outlined above. In the Rambler it brings that 3D'ish big tone to that amp. with all the Rambler headroom the G12c/s shines with it's top end, and handles all the low end when good OD arrives. Well balanced and always pleasing tone.

guitargeezer

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't tried Jeff's Spectraverbs, but just this week I had him install a G12c/s that I had gotten for my Vintage Sound Vintage 22sc. Jeff (Andrews) told me it's one of his favorite speakers.

I have just started playing the amp with the new speaker, but it already sounds great. I'm a big fan of the WGS speakers.

Unadan

I like the WGS G12/C a bit better - less muffled highs. I put one with light dope in a 79 Deluxe Reverb - sounds REALLY good.

neils

This is a speaker I want to try. I already know how good Andrews amps sound. I tried a few at upfrontguitars.
WGS makes a great product.
Neil

Red Planet

I haven't tried Jeff's Spectraverbs, but just this week I had him install a G12c/s that I had gotten for my Vintage Sound Vintage 22sc. Jeff (Andrews) told me it's one of his favorite speakers.

I have just started playing the amp with the new speaker, but it already sounds great. I'm a big fan of the WGS speakers.

The Spectraverb is such a nice mixture of worlds. It's cleans are so sweet, it's overdrive is just perfect, and the Reverb is freakin gorgeous.

candid_x

If I can get those ET needles out of my veins, I'll have to give one a try. I knew that Vintage Sound is using them, and heard Neil Young is using them in his Maggie.

Boltagon

[QUOTE="heard Neil Young is using them in his Maggie.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Where did you see this?

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
I've got one in my vintage sound 20. Took a little breaking in but now that it is, it is the perfect speaker for that amp (which is incidentally just about a perfect amp IMO)

candid_x

[QUOTE="heard Neil Young is using them in his Maggie.
"Interesting. Where did you see this?"

Not meaning to sound like a dick, but I can't say as it was told to me in confidence. I also don't know if the speakers went into Neil's ginormous speaker cab that he uses onstage or if Neil is playing a Magnatone amp presently. I'm assuming the reference was to the speaker cab.

I understand the G12C/S is a great match with VSG's 15 and 20 Princeton type amps. They come stock with them now. I've not had one of either, yet. The clips sound sweet though.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Been using the WGS G12C/s in my Ramber for just about a year now - love it for all the reasons you outlined above. In the Rambler it brings that 3D'ish big tone to that amp. with all the Rambler headroom the G12c/s shines with it's top end, and handles all the low end when good OD arrives. Well balanced and always pleasing tone.
I dont think any speaker will surpass the Elsinore in the Rambler.
Unbelievable improvement in what I had in mine (V30).

My .02,

S.
j

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite WGS speakers are a G12C and G10C. That is such a fine combination. Liked it so much in a pine cab I converted a 2x12 tweed bandmaster combo to 12+10 so I could use them again.
MD

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
TNJ, agree; have no doubt that the Elsinore is a great match for the Rambler, but I had the WGS G12C/s in hand (I had tried it in a Carr Mercury that I eventually sold). My Rambler is Chassis #0119 so it is an early build. The WGS G12C/s replaced the Kingpin, the very first factory speaker (TGP is littered with threads from many who loved the Rambler but wished for something better than the Kingpin, for a long time, then finally the Elsinore came along). The WGS is a major improvement over the old Kingpin, and makes good on WGS's promise of smooth, tight, classic Fender voiced tone; very handily at stage volume all night. Once I come up with the money to get an Elsinore from Carr, I'll be able to experience all the goodness that everyone who has gone with the new factory issued Elsinore in a Rambler has raved about.

I've never tried the WGS G12CS, but I've given the G12C a shot a couple of times. Over many months, too, so they were very very broken in. It was always too stiff and bright. It would sound good at first, because I'd be replacing a darker muffled speaker and all of sudden I was hearing things more clearly, but then after a while I found the speaker to be very fatiguing. Something about the crisp upper-mids on that thing would just eventually get to me.

This was in a ton of different amps too. Silverface Twin, Blackface Twin, Carr Rambler, Fender Dual Professional, Tone King Comet 40B. I really wanted to like that speaker as a Jensen replacement, but to my ears - and this is something I don't really hear people saying about it - it has sort of a Vintage 30 upper-mid crang that grates on my nerves. Worth noting that I came to the same conclusion with the WGS Retro 30. Those speakers I guess don't have a mellow enough but still clear sound for my ears. Is it the Pulsonic cones they use?

Maybe I should try this G12CS? Smoother? I also have been meaning to get a Carr Elsinore - it is what Steve Carr suggested I try after hearing all of my preferences.

PB Wilson

On the WGS website, I believe that the G12C was described as one of their brightest speakers and the G12C/S was one of their warmest.

tacorivers

Love the G12C/S in my Vintage Sound Princeton. I usually don't like Jensen-flavored speakers, but I like this one.

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
I've never tried the WGS G12CS, but I've given the G12C a shot a couple of times. Over many months, too, so they were very very broken in. It was always too stiff and bright. It would sound good at first, because I'd be replacing a darker muffled speaker and all of sudden I was hearing things more clearly, but then after a while I found the speaker to be very fatiguing. Something about the crisp upper-mids on that thing would just eventually get to me.

This was in a ton of different amps too. Silverface Twin, Blackface Twin, Carr Rambler, Fender Dual Professional, Tone King Comet 40B. I really wanted to like that speaker as a Jensen replacement, but to my ears - and this is something I don't really hear people saying about it - it has sort of a Vintage 30 upper-mid crang that grates on my nerves. Worth noting that I came to the same conclusion with the WGS Retro 30. Those speakers I guess don't have a mellow enough but still clear sound for my ears. Is it the Pulsonic cones they use?

Maybe I should try this G12CS? Smoother? I also have been meaning to get a Carr Elsinore - it is what Steve Carr suggested I try after hearing all of my preferences.
Great post. Very helpful thanks! I also believe the Elsinore is very well balanced. It offers plenty of upper mid and treble detail without being too sharp, snappy and none of that midrange 'krrrang' that you mentioned.

Red Planet

Im am still very well pleased with the G12C/S. There is something magical about that speaker, I have never experienced before. Its right in thr Goldy Locks zone between crisp and creamy.

Last edited:

Trending Topics