I have a problem....selling my tube amp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gl4th, Dec 1, 2019.

When you got a modeler

1. You sold everything else

48 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. You kept everything else

36 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. You kept everything else, but use the modeler more

41 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. You sold the modeler and come back to tubes/pedals/reality

58 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. orogeny

orogeny Member

What's next? I thought you were waiting on Fractal. . .

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

1,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, III! (Maybe)

3. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

So, I didn't start playing til late in life, and as such have never been a "tube amp guy", or really attached to anything in particular in that sense.

My first "Real" amp (not a little practice amp) was the Boss Katana 100w head with a Marshall 4x12 cab. I still have it, I still play it.

Then I picked up a 50w Traynor tube combo amp (still have it, still play it)

Then I picked up a Helix LT (still have it, still play it).

I honestly use all 3. I do find myself using the Helix more often, just b/c it can do anything and is really easy to get the tone I want/ hook up to record/ ect. I would say the Helix gets played about 75% of the time, the Katana about 15% and then the Traynor about 10%

4. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I’ve kept my PV Classic 30... the rest have gone. I maybe wish I would have kept a Subway Rocket instead, or not. I have a Headrush Gigboard.. I would my Helix Floor, LT and Stomp also. The Gigboard seemed to be the best blend for me. I like having a small amp around. I did run into a jam situation where the folks I was playing with did not have the P.A or ability to hand a Modeler. You’re survey didn’t quite hit my scenario. I pared down but kept some essentials..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  5. eupbin

eupbin Member

Keep it and don't sell. I've done this twice already and always go back to my tube amp (Princeton reverb) and a few pedals. ALWAYS sounds better and I spend more time playing than "tweaking".

6. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Member

I have some great tube amps and have several modelers, Kemper Rack & Stage and Atomic Amplifire 6 & Ampli-Firebox.

When I started gigging, my desire to carry as little gear as possible made me look at modelers. I had the Kemper Rack at the time and because it was racked I add the Kemper footswitch plus other pedals I needed that were not part of the Kemper universe. This solution was consistent, but bulky and didn't really accomplish my goal of the carrying the least amount of gear. So I went back to an amp and pedalboard.

Then I bought the Ampli-Firebox, it was very compact, but it wasn't the best fit for me in terms of features and output options. Then I went to the AmpliFire 6 and put that plus a few other pedals on a Pedal Train Jr and had my entire setup on that one board, which included a vocal harmonizer. I went straight into the PA and life was great! This setup was the the best as it was versatile and compact. If needed I could run the output both to the board and to a powered speaker for stage volume. Bliss!

I recently purchased the Kemper stage and will be moving to that over the Amplifire 6 because I can profile my own amps and get a more accurate personal sound. The Kemper stage is a beast and I will need a bigger or secondary pedal board for things like my Fuzz and the vocal harmonizer. This bulks up my gear a bit, but with the accuracy with which it profiles my amps and the promise of consistent sound each gig I'm ok with that.

I thought about getting rid of my amps, or at least just keeping my absolutely favorites, but I cannot bring myself to do it.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

None of the above... sold some tube amps, keeping a core of them. If they don’t get used I’ll thin that further.

I find that things often come around and something that was front line once may work back in depending on circumstances, so I don’t just unload.

8. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

I also picked none of the above.

I've had a Kemper for about 5 years now. I then built three clone amps just to see what I was missing (according to others), '57 Champ, '65 PR, and 18 Watt TMB. Bought a bunch of pedals too. In the end, the Kemper is far easier to transport and get a consistent good sound wherever it goes, whatever it's plugged into.

If I could only keep one, Kemper, because I would profile my tube and SS amps, and still have them.

Gl4th likes this.
  9. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

The issue to me is more about value than tone. My Marshall Origin 20 sounds much better to me than my Helix through Powercab, but my Origin can only do one sound really well. So, in order to get a Marshall, Fender, and Vox type of sound, I have to buy multiple amps or pedals and things start to really get pricey fast.

One thing that I will concede is that tube amps through guitar speakers just sound better. It's not even really a contest to me when you are going strictly for tone in a room by yourself. Throw mics into the equation, or even throw everything into a live situation and then Helix comes out at least even, if not better in some cases. Owning Helix has helped me realize that I can literally have it all for a fraction of the price. However, it is nice to keep a tube amp around just to jam to keep the perspective of what Helix is best for.

Heck, I could sell Helix, my Marshall stack, and an acoustic right now and net over $4K for any rig I want. Problem is, do I really need a $4k rig that I can't even turn up past 2 on the volume knob!

dougb415 and Funky Claude like this.
  10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

OP could have stopped with "I have a problem" and been accurate in 99% of the threads in this subforum :banana

Aquinas likes this.
  11. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

Ahahahah...true.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

Anyway, I sold the amp.

You know what...probably if I reached the point where it was not so important, maybe it actually isn’t. And in this part of my life I prefer something else.

To be honest, at the moment I’m not sure that I’ll buy the same amp again if I’ll need a tube amp in the future. With Kemper I’m discovering some others like 3RD Power Amplification, or Divided by 13 that maybe are closer to my taste now.

13. Keg8605

Keg8605 Supporting Member

I go in circles and change things up constantly. I did use fractal in some form or shape from 2011 through 2017 though. Many years it was 4cm and a good 4-5 id say were power amp and cab. Just sell your stuff, may keep the extra cash around to buy stuff later. I do think its worth having a few different rigs to keep your indecisiveness satisfied haha. I have two pedalboards right now and two different amp options. Good luck. "Keep it simple stupid" is always a good strategy too. A few pedals and a fender go a long way.

14. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Who sez an older Dog can't learn new tricks?

15. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I would like to add, as a DI guy who has to pull off an Ac30,a Plexi and a fender BF Deluxe EVERY GIG the only two (affordable) ways I found to cut it were The Tech21 Character series and The Amplifire Firebox. The Firebox really impressed me,as well. It has that thing that nearly all others miss by a long shot.

16. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Dude, You are the Real deal. I mean it. Pay it forward when you can..it makes the music come alive. It makes you the real,great soul in a World of fakes. Respect.

17. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

Not really. I just try hard.

I’m as fake as the next guy. If I hide it better, something is working; and I guess we all try to help other folk hide it in themselves.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  18. Ggroove

Ggroove Silver Supporting Member

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  19. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

https://reverb.com/item/29132679-mesa-boogie-subway-rocket[/QUOTE]

That's a good price for a lovely little amp. That's another reason not to sell. I think that tube amp prices peaked some time ago and are on a slow decline. So I guess the market will be flooded pretty soon as more folk move to digital and hybrid rigs and start selling off much of their amp collections. I reckon the high-end stuff will keep much of its value, as will the true greats (AC30s, 2204s, Bassmans, etc) and esoterica. But there will be a lot of amps which remain unused. A few of mine certainly are.

20. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I purchased an AxeFX Ultra in May of 2011 and sold all but one amp and a few pedal builds (prototypes) within a couple weeks of its arrival. I kept the amp for guests to play through but eventually built a buffer pedal to run another guitar through input 2 and sold the last amp. I still have the prototype pedals but they've seen very little use since then.

In June of 2012 I purchased a new AxeFX II and sold the Ultra. I used the II exclusively until last week when I received a new AxeFX III. I plan on playing through the III exclusively until 6-12 months after next gen AxeFX is released, giving me a bit of time to follow its development progress.

I watched the 1st gen development right up until firmware v11.0 (its last update). This is when I found is sounded like a well recorded guitar amp to my ears. I waited until the AxeFX II firmware V5.0 was release before upgrading. This is when I was able to discern enough improvement to justify the cost to upgrade. I waited to upgrade to the AxeFX III until firmware v11.0 release, when the speaker impedance curve feature was added. Again, I waited until there was enough improvement over the prior AxeFX model to justify the cost to upgrade. This has worked well for me for almost 9 years now so I expect more of the same in the future.

Being well accustomed to hearing my amp through floor monitors, near field monitors, and headphones, modeling was an easy transition from traditional amps, and the experience has improved dramatically over the past 8+ years.

This a great time to be a guitar player! :)

bluesdoc, Gasp100 and dougb415 like this.