I have a simple question about the Peter Green pickup Mod

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by thrashmetl, Jul 29, 2008.

1. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Does it change the sound of the neck pickup on it's own or does it only change the sound when out of phase with the bridge?

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I haven't had it done but am going to say you'll only hear it with both pups on.

I'm interested too.

I'm also curious as to whether it's something I can do myself.

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Technically, yes, it will change the neck pickup sound a tiny amount, since the sensing coil is now back towards the bridge a half inch or so. So a wee bit twangier maybe, but you'd have to be EJ or one o' those type o' guys to be able to really hear it.

4. monstermike

monstermike Member

The "Peter Green mod" is just the magnet flip - although he did turn the pickup around in its cavity as well, that doesn't affect phase and isn't what's being referred to - so you shouldn't hear a difference in the pickup alone.

If you turn the pickup around, you might hear a difference if you're listening for it.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

What he said. You can also put the pickup out of phase by swapping the hot and ground pickup wires, but that wasn't the way it was in Green's guitar and, IMO, it's easier to just swap the magnet around (even if pickup cover removal is involved).

-Austin

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's been said (no experience myself) that doing the PG mod gives a slightly different sound than reversing the hot and ground wires (which tends to be VERY thin sounding vs the slightly lower output but still warm sound of the PG mod).

7. DonM

DonM Member

the pickup was said to have the screw coil rewound - helping the sound too -
    it was said to be heavy fomvar wire 42 - not the stock enamel wire 42 - it was also 500 turns less then the other coil that was left alone (stock paf)

fwiw~ yes ---> you can - flip the magnet or reverse the wires - and get the same result -

i like this idea better - but sometimes push pull pots are too tall - and you have to route into the maple cap - scary!
    [​IMG]