I have a "thing" for TV Jones Super'trons

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
They do sound phenomenal. Tom (TV) is also great to work with. Have to say, they really compliment the clean aesthetic of your builds.

sickboy79

Supertrons are great pickups. I haven't tried TVs but, I do have an original set in my 67 Duo Jet. Great stuff!!

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Do the wound strings, especially the low E (or whatever one tunes the lowest string to) stay relatively tight? Also, are they prone to microphonic howling? I've had issues like these with the filtertrons, especially the overwound ones.

ToneLounge

Guitar Maker
Gold Supporting Member
Do the wound strings, especially the low E (or whatever one tunes the lowest string to) stay relatively tight? Also, are they prone to microphonic howling? I've had issues like these with the filtertrons, especially the overwound ones.
Yes, the low strings do stay tight - one of the main reasons I like these so much. Tom described them to me as a fuller/fatter Filter'tron. I would compare them more to a good mini-humbucker on a LP Deluxe.

pickdropper

I am Soldering Iron Man
Vendor
Just curious, what's the output level on these compared to the classics? I have a Classic in one of my Cabronitas, but the output is a bit lower than the T90 I put in the neck. I'm going to be a stronger TV Jones bridge pickup in there to match it.

ToneLounge

Guitar Maker
Gold Supporting Member
Just curious, what's the output level on these compared to the classics? I have a Classic in one of my Cabronitas, but the output is a bit lower than the T90 I put in the neck. I'm going to be a stronger TV Jones bridge pickup in there to match it.
Super'trons have more output than the Classics for sure. I like matching a TV Classic Plus in the bridge if I'm using a standard Classic in the neck. Also, it's important to get the pickup height right. The bridge pickup can be closer to the strings and give you more output.

pickdropper

I am Soldering Iron Man
Vendor
Super'trons have more output than the Classics for sure. I like matching a TV Classic Plus in the bridge if I'm using a standard Classic in the neck. Also, it's important to get the pickup height right. The bridge pickup can be closer to the strings and give you more output.
Yeah, I've played with the height of both neck and bridge and got it as close as it's going to get. It's livable, but I think I'd like something hotter in the bridge. Just deciding which model.

I have a different Cabronita with Classics in the neck and bridge. I like that config a lot, I just want to do something different in this guitar.

Baemer

Gold Supporting Member
All the versions I've played sounded great! Brian, do you know the magnet type tom uses on these? Best!

ToneLounge

Guitar Maker
Gold Supporting Member
All the versions I've played sounded great! Brian, do you know the magnet type tom uses on these? Best!
Tom told me once a long time ago - but I'm afraid I've forgotten. I just checked his site and did not see it listed either. I'll ask him when he returns from musicmesse.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
Tom builds fantastic pickups. I'm putting a set of DuoTrons in my BelAire. Love his T'Armonds too.

bforest4

Silver Supporting Member
Shane's hollowtron is one of my favorites!!! Definitely want to get a supertron equipped guitar at some point.

Trending Topics