I have a tube ID question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by teleman1, Jan 28, 2008.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Member

WE all see tubes that are 12ax7 size or El84 size with numbers that are wiped off. Is there any way to ID tubes without the labels. For intance;differences from a 12ax7 to a 12at7. aAre there ID's inside the tube or physical characteristics that define each?

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Some NOS tube retailers post photos and have details about different markings other then trademark or manufacturer labels.

Here is one. I have never done business with them just came across the site during my research. I've gotten good stuff from TGP's Mike K.

https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm

Good Luck
    Groovey Records

Listening to Herbie Mann- Memphis Underground
    on Vinyl of course

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

With an experienced eye, one can spot clues from the internal structure, and often make a positive tube i.d. If you have some tubes you'd like to i.d., post clear photos here, and we may be able to help.

- Thom

4. teleman1

teleman1 Member

Timberwolf or anyone else.

What does a D on the bottom of a 12ax7 mean. And also,what does a T mean??? The pins surround this number as you look at the bottom.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Nothing on the outside of the glass means anything. Everything on the inside of the glass means something.

You can't ID a tube without seeing the guts. ;)

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Dunno
    Try someone else... like Jeff West - he's the most likely TGP member I know who might be able to answer this question.

I have been aware that markings in the glass base, between the pins, can help identify kindred batches of some tubes. In my case, it was certain runs of early-'50s Sylvania 12AX7 and 12AU7. But I don't know what those coded symbols actually mean.

- Thom