I have about 1k to spend. Triamp vs Metro/DSL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nuno81291, Feb 14, 2008.

1. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

Hey guys,

I have about 1k that I can drop on an amp. The main options to me are:

sell my DSL 100, add the 1k and get a used Triamp MK2.

or

Use the DSL as a clean head, and build a metro 12xxx series kit (I can get a special price thanks to a friend!) and run a dual amp rig with a decent sized (pedal train 2) sized board.

Triamp Pros: extremly versitile, 1 head and cab (v30s or greenbacks).
    Cons: no giggable backup.

Metro/dsl Pros: 2 solid tones, DSL clean and the 12xxx dirt sound.
    cons: 2 heads + a cab, cant use greenbacks without a radial VT.

I am just hung out on the fence guys! The tones I am going for are along the lines of Population 1 and Dramagods, both of which are Triamp MK1 and a JMP 2203.

I could also look into a triamp MK1 + the metro.

2. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

What about just getting a Metro and using it for cleans and dirt? You can get nice cleans out of a Super Lead.

3. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

im kind of concerned with riding the volume knob. How clean could I get it? I suppose recording I could set it up either way to get my tones, but live I want to have a nice organic crunch tone (whole reason for leaving the sterile DSL distortion).

4. justonwo

Put a pedal on top of the clean Super Lead. That's what I do with mine. Still a fantastic sound. Besides, carrying two big amps around? What a pain.

5. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

Im VERY skeptical about using pedals, I have been through a ton of distortion and OD pedals with my DSL's clean and I have a hard time imagining the plexi to be any different. I would add a PPIMV of course to the plexi.

I need a clean tone and a distortion, this is what makes the triamp interesting to me. But something about a plexi just seems 'right'

6. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

you know...the dsl is really picky when it comes to guitars and pickups I have found...tried 3 different guitars...switched the pickups in 2 of them, and finally found a winning combo. Sounds pretty awesome now...one HUGE tip...turn the treble WAY down...to like 2-3...and the presence to about the same. Mids about 7 usually, and bass to taste. Keep that Deep switch out (off) and keep that horrid tone changing switch out (off) also. I don't know why marshall even put that switch there...

I agree that the red channel of the dsl is not the best for most genres of music, but just use the green channel. Set it so that its just breaking up, and then put an overdrive in front of the amp.

7. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Buy the amp you want and dont get rid of your DSL. If your DSL fails then use the other amp, if your other amp fails then use the dsl!

8. justonwo

I understand your hesitation. I'm very happy with the overdrive I get out of my Super Lead when pushed with a KOTB. It feels just like the Super Lead dimed. Good luck.

9. crisden

crisden Member

I say pull the trigger on a Triamp mkII. I LOVE mine. Also, pretty much every one of its 6 channels responds well to use of your guitar volume knob. You can go from a unique sparkling clean to a face melting crunch on the same channel. As always, try before you buy. The Triamp does have a distinct sound that may not be for everyone. As if you needed another reason, the clean channel on the Tri mkII is absolutely heavenly.

10. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Yup, I like Marshall Cleans in a 100W superlead better than fender cleans

And i play Bebop !!

The direct drive would be the pedal to spike it

11. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

I am in high school, and as such don't have alot of money, so it is really more a issue of what do I buy first when the funds allow! I know once I am done paying off school/car I will sink alot into some amps, I need an AC-30, AXE FX for silent recording, triamp mk2, a metro 12xxx!! that would be a great arsenal of amps to me!

So in reality, it is just, what do I get first! I am thinking it is win win either way, which is what makes it so difficult. I have played triamps, and Nuno used them extensivley on his solo stuff and those tones are pretty much the favorites of mine. So Triamp seems like a good choice. So does a 12xxx cause it does that one gainy organic sound with incredibly note definition and clarity!

I think I will go Triamp so I can cover some more tones for now.

12. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

If you are looking at kits take a look at the Roccaforte/Mojotone JCM 800 kit. For 950 you get a hot rodded JCM 800 style amp that behaves like a 2 channel amp 2 footswitchable master volumes.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The triamp is a killer amp, one of my very favorite channel switchers. Still, as a certified cork sniffer I think of the DSL as kind of a beginner amp, time to move up to the big leagues. As a backup you can get by with a decent pedal with an amp sim out (like the Sansamp Classic), so you don't need two amps. I'd either go with the Triamp now, or get the AXE FX and a powered monitor now (cost should be about the same).

14. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

My main argument that it isnt a 'beginner' amp is the fact that Nuno (my icon) uses them EXCLUSIVLEY live, if they are good enough for a guy who has 1000x better chops than me, why should I blow money on anything more? It is my first tube amp and kind of has that sentimentallity thing to it, but I bet if I had a triamp sitting next to it I wouldnt think twice about it!

I could also blow my budget for a bass rig and end up with a used triamp AND a ~2203.

I am afraid Ill miss that 2203ish tight crunch with the triamp, while I know ill get great cleans and some great high gain tones.

Im skeptical on Axefx as all I have is word of mouth, and as a highschool student, that isnt quite enough to justify 1700 for just the unit itself. That is about a used triamp MK2.

I also want to pick up another guitar soon.. I just don't know what to do! I feel like running two amps would be kind of pretentious for the modest settings we play, even though we are a young hard rock band (a 3 piece).

I wouldnt mind hauling around a 4x12 and (2) heads, but how nessecary is that for a gig! its ludacris unless your a big name act! But I know I want what a JMP 2203 and a triamp could give me!

I also need to grab a hold of an avatar 4x12 with greenbacks, I am sick of my marshall with V30s.

15. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Dude, what kind of gigs are you playing where you need that much hardware?

16. nuno81291

nuno81291 Member

^ thats exactly why I said it is absurd to use that much gear at a gig, unless your calling 1 head and a 4x12 overkill. I am just worried that the triamp wont nail the lower gain tight crunch 2203 sounds im after, along with the triamp HK sounding high gain.

I think I am pretty much sold on a triamp