I have always been a Les Paul guy but this Tele is haunting me.....

jimmyohio75

I have tried to like Telecasters but the single coil PU's just don't do hard rock very well. I actually think they are very comfortable guitars to play but I need humbuckers. I love the look of the 72 Deluxe Telecasters but the Fender Wide Range buckers seem to be kinda muddy based on the You Tube vids I have seen.
Enter the Chris Shiflett Telecaster Deluxe. This guitar seems perfect. I also prefer rosewood necks to maple so this could be awesome.
Anyone have experience with this guitar?

Blues Power

H-H Tele. the only thing Tele about it is its shape. I mean why bother, is it even a Tele anymore. the beauty of a tele is the SC with the LS pup.

jimmyohio75

H-H Tele. the only thing Tele about it is its shape. I mean why bother, is it even a Tele anymore. the beauty of a tele is the SC with the LS pup.
I don't even like regular tele's. The only tele's that I have liked have been the 72 deluxe's. I just like the looks of this particular guitar. It probably can't get that LP growl that I like but something about it makes me like it. NO offense against regular tele's but I just don't like them.

Larry Mal

Right, I mean, it's basically just an SG with a slightly different body shape and a longer scale, plus a different name on the headstock.

I mean, I'm sure it's a fine guitar, I just don't know why people buy the same guitars over and over that only look a little different and are in no way true to the model they think they want.

If you want it, get it. I'm sure it'll sound a slight bit different from what your other guitars sound like and play a little differently too. So, if that's worth spending money on, have at it.

Me, I buy different guitars with different configurations because it forces me to play differently than I would otherwise. Like, for instance, I've bought some guitars with P90s on them the last few years, which is all new to me (and to a lot of people, they are kind of enjoying a new life).

It's not my usual sound, and I can't say at the moment that I like it as much as what I'd call "my usual sound". So, the challenge is on me, maybe I'll learn to use them, maybe it'll be a failed experiment and I sell them all or closet them, maybe they'll only come out once in a while. But I'll certainly know more about the world of guitars and myself as a musician at the end of it.

Which may not be for you. You say you need a guitar for "hard rock" and the Telecaster won't work in that (I don't agree, but we may not think of the same thing when you say "hard rock"). So, if you already have a sound, and only a twin hum bucker equipped guitar like the others you already have will work for you, then it would be foolish to purchase anything else.

But you'd be missing out on all the stuff that actually makes the Telecaster a great guitar in its own right, I think that would be a shame. Besides, what if your style of music changes?

2HBStrat

Yeah, you're right. Never mind the fact that Fender is selling it with both the "Fender" name and the "Telecaster" name on it.....forget them, it's not a Tele! :sarcasm

BTW, it looks like a cool Tele!

Sidmore

no talent hack
Gold Supporting Member
I don't even like regular tele's. The only tele's that I have liked have been the 72 deluxe's. I just like the looks of this particular guitar. It probably can't get that LP growl that I like but something about it makes me like it. NO offense against regular tele's but I just don't like them.

I like "regular" teles but I do agree that that's one cool looking guitar.

Larry Mal

Said "two humbuckered Strat". Another guitar that would sound nothing like it's typical iteration.

Again, it's not a big deal, get the guitar if you want it and think it looks cool. There's a reason why Fender and Gibson and the rest make different models in the first place.

I just, personally, keep a Firebird and a Les Paul around for when I need the dual hum bucker thing, but when I want a Telecaster I actually have that also because I have an actual Telecaster with the single coil pickups. I'd hate to miss out on that.

There's no guitarist who actually plays the Telecaster as it's equipped that you'd like to have access to that sound of? There's nothing about the Telecaster except the shape that intrigues you?

I love separate vol/tone controls on Teles, regardless of pickup configuration. Frankly, after playing Gibsons for a while, I don't understand why you wouldn't design a guitar with that much tonal control. I love playing middle position and dialing the neck in and out to add or subtract bite/warmth. If I bought another Fender, it'd be a '72 Tele with single coils and separate vol/tone controls.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
It sometimes seems the Tele is a gateway guitar to Fenders for the Gibson fans. it sure was for me.

Crocker

The longer I play the more I appreciate the Tele platform. I've had both a Deluxe and standard, and a few in between Tele pickup configurations and love them all because they physically play similarly but sound different. The body size, shape, balance, scale length, etc, and the ineffable vibe all work for me. Fitted with pickup variables makes me happy.

guitkrazy

I own several different LP's ranging from studio to custom shop & this summer I bought a Shiflett Tele & can honestly say that guitar is worth every penny! The pickups are perfect & just delivers a variety of sweet sounds! It is my go to guitar! Nothing but praise for this guitar!

Trending Topics