I have always despised boy bands. It is like they make it without paying dues BUT

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
What "dues" are they are any other artist supposed to pay?
Son, follow the Beatles or any other act you respect. You pay your dues, you practice, you play. When you have a few hundred plus hours, your dues are being submitted. Besides, this is not about your interpretation of what dues are. It is about Harry Styles being a good vocalist. Can't anyone come here and not start a pissing match?

Buck Private

You have got to be kidding.

Apparently you have no idea how hard these boy bands work.
Son, follow the Beatles or any other act you respect. You pay your dues, you practice, you play. When you have a few hundred plus hours, your dues are being submitted. Besides, this is not about your interpretation of what dues are. It is about Harry Styles being a good vocalist. Can't anyone come here and not start a pissing match?
I doubt you'll see many "boy bands" playing greasy dives in Hamburg. Most seem to be created by a publicity savvy "entrepreneur" who auditions talented kids and directs their career. Payin' dues ain't what it used to be.

Yer Blues

I doubt you'll see many "boy bands" playing greasy dives in Hamburg. Most seem to be created by a publicity savvy "entrepreneur" who auditions talented kids and directs their career. Payin' dues ain't what it used to be.
… but if that's Lou Pearlman they may end up paying another kind of dues. :(

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Hard to say how many of these kids played clubs before being discovered or how many talent shows their parents forced them into or how many years they went to voice lessons and/or dance lessons working their childhood away. These kids are typically not found, they try out along with 50 or more others.

What I do know is not just anyone can sing in tune with arranged harmonies & dance in-step for 2 hours day after day without working very hard at it.

I am no fan of corporate pop/rock/Britanny Spears, et al however to say they don't pay dues is just ignorant.

I think a lot of issues I had with ready-made pop bands went away when I realized how many rock acts I admired started using the same songwriting teams to stay relevant.

Playing crappy bar gigs sounds like infinitely more fun than the horrid photo shoots and media junk pop artists go through. Yeah it would be awesome to play some of the stages they get to do (as a singer I'd love to be Bruce Dickinson on a Maiden stage for a night) but aside from the massive amounts of money at stake actually playing intimate venues and connecting with fans would be far more appealing as both a fan and performer than the hype factory these kids endure. Plus it all ends overnight for most of them, and they have to wait 15-20 years for a nostalgia tour.

Buck Private

Hard to say how many of these kids played clubs before being discovered or how many talent shows their parents forced them into or how many years they went to voice lessons and/or dance lessons working their childhood away. These kids are typically not found, they try out along with 50 or more others.

What I do know is not just anyone can sing in tune with arranged harmonies & dance in-step for 2 hours day after day without working very hard at it.

I am no fan of corporate pop/rock/Britanny Spears, et al however to say they don't pay dues is just ignorant.
Clubs? Most of them are early teens when they start. There is a big difference between going out on your own with an upstart band than being shepherded along a rising career path by someone who knows the ropes and has the money to make it all happen.

Trending Topics