I have an HD500: should I try it with the a DT amp before I give up

geoangus

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just not feeling this HD500 and K12 arrangement, essentially, I think I just prefer an amp. I think I'm missing that feel of more air moving.

While having the array of amp, FX, and routing in the HD is great, I'm a simple OD, delay and maybe modulation guy. Maybe this is just a case of an experiment that wasn't right for me, and I should just go back to an amp and 3 or 4 pedals?

A Kemper really appeals to me, but I'm about $1k light in the wallet for one of those. Not to mention, I'd want to set up some kind of home recording rig that would run way past that amount as well.

So before I give up on the HD500, should I pair it with a DT25? Will my ears hear what they've been missing?

Thanks

tochiro

From what you say I don't think the DT25 will change the equation. Digital rig is/feels/sounds different from an amp + pedals, I know it because I have both a digital rig and an analog one. Digital is convenient but analog sounds best IMO. You might just like analog better and that's fine.

Badside

Depends on your use case. I haven't tried the top tier devices (Kemper, AxeFX) myself, but in the lower tier, nothing beat the immediacy and transparence of a good tube amp (and mine is a handwired single-channel affair, it's like you're connected to the speaker directly).

The HD500 is a marvelous little device that puts everything at your finger tip and is super awesome when playing small stages with a cover band.

IMHO, the dynamics are... 60-70% there (but my amp is REALLY dynamic), but there's a little air on top missing (that's the part you can,t hear on a Youtube video, but in the room it's hard to miss, and it's not something you can EQ in cause it,s not there to begin with). I'd never bother with the POD for serious recording, or when I'm playing a festival with a competent tech team.
But it's so useful in so many scenarios.

drwiddly

You might just prefer the sound of a real amp but it might be worth trying a Torpedo C.A.B. with the HD500/K12. The IR can make a huge difference.

Even if you ultimately decide to go back to an amp, the Torpedo will give you the option of a direct feed to FoH so might come in useful whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Martins

If you miss the air and push, yes the DT will provide that. If it's a tone issue, then you're better off with a classic setup.

Lain

You could try out the new Vypyr Pro when it's out in the summer or another modelling amp like that. Apparently most of them do move air.

Otherwise, what's stopping you from selling the Pod HD and going back to a nice little tube amp with a pedal board that you can constantly expand over the years. Modelling is just not for everyone.

CheeseGrater

I find using tube power and guitar speaker (which is what DT25 is) vastly different than running in FRFR - definitely much more like an amp. So maybe it's worth a shot through the DT25 or good power amp and guitar cab. For dirtier tones just use the preamp models on the Pod - cleans and SRV type stuff i still use the full models. For me it feels just like an amp this way. Took some experimentation to get there for me though.

Try the DT25. Makes the whole experience better. Tone I'm getting from that rig is great. And the DT25 is a really nice stand-alone amp too. Best combo amp I've ever owned.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Digital rig is/feels/sounds different from an amp + pedals, I know it because I have both a digital rig and an analog one. Digital is convenient but analog sounds best IMO. You might just like analog better and that's fine.
I actually think the DT25 with the HD500 feels nothing like a digital rig. It feels like a real tube amp.

Here's the deal. In my music space, I have six tube amps right now, and I have the DT25 stacked up with them. I really don't feel I'm sacrificing anything when I use the DT25. I'm not going to say it sound exactly the same - every tube amp has its own character. But as far as a playing experience, there's nothing that makes me feel that I'm not playing through a real tube amp with the DT25.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
The DT 25 sounds and feels and pushes air just like a real tube amp. Primarily because all the components of a real amp that deliver those aspects of the guitar experience are in the DT amps. Real=Real.

Generally speaking a modeled preamp section can be good or mediocre. In the PodHD as well as the DT it is good.

If you like the options a PodHD offers, the effects, the foot control, the variety of preamp flavors then the DT will transform that experience into what you describe is missing with the K12.

I've tried the K12 with an AxeFxII and the AxeFxII isnt able to make the K12 sound and feel nearly as real as the PodHD will make the DT sound and feel.

That is no slam on the AxeFx that is just the reality of using a real amp with a modeler vs using a K12 (or other similar FRFR device).

I have a DT25 that I play without the Pod half the time and I do that because the PodHD stays hooked up to a Torpedo CAB most of the time and the DT sounds good by itself as a tube amp should and I have two other tube amps that I could have chosen to plug into....plugging the PodHD into the DT simply increases the options without detracting from the real tube amp goodness.

VCuomo

Try the DT25. Makes the whole experience better. Tone I'm getting from that rig is great. And the DT25 is a really nice stand-alone amp too. Best combo amp I've ever owned.
:agree

OP: My HD500/DT25 rig was my primary gigging rig for quite a while (it's now my backup since I purchased a KPA) and it's a very good setup, and I think you would like the tone better than what you're getting currently. But as far as "moving air"? A 1x12 doesn't really move much air, so I would imagine you'd want to add an extension cab or buy a head an pair it with at least a 2x12 cab.

rublalup

not to derail the topic... but i felt the same as you with the HD. I got an 11 Rack and I´m really digging the "amp feel". Sure it has less amp models and effects, but the ones in there are great.

I got mine for <400 without PT. I guess you could give it a try and resell it for the same if yo don´t like it.

Disclaimer: I´m still in the honeymooon with the device

I much prefer my HD500 into the return of my two different tube amps. They are cheap amps and I'm using them at home at the moment but I was in your situation a while ago. I was so frustrated with my HD500 in headphones and into a full range setup. Then I started experimenting with my tube amps. It was night and day for me. The feel was suddenly there and the ugly fizziness was gone.

I'm sure the DT25 is good but I think you can get there for a lot less coin. I'm actually using the full models AND cabs. I know, it goes against conventional wisdom but for both amps I was able to find an output mode that sounded really good.

I'm still using two EQ blocks to get there but I've sort of figured out some settings that work for me. Still, I'm thinking about a GSP1101 as I find my old RP350 to be a lot easier to dial in.

Tarkus

Yes, try it. Do not listen to the opinion of anyone who hasn't tried it.

It's pretty hard to find anyone who has a DT series amp that doesn't like it. Not saying it's unanimous (of course) but it's a great amp and most guys seem to really like it, with or without the HD500.

RJT

Have been on the fence myself about going FRFR or DT25. Took a trip to GC yesterday with my 500x to try out a DT25 Combo they had there to find out if it was what I have been looking for. It absolutely is (what others here have said) night and day of a difference. I won't even consider FRFR an option now with my 500x.

Trending Topics