I have BFD drums, I have a question.....

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BrentSP, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Can I use it as a virtual drummer? I'm not a drummer so I'm not going to go out and buy Vdrums and use this with BFD nor can I use a midi keyboard. I just wanted some easy to use and great sounding drums that I can manipulate for backings and recording but dont have to be a sensational drummer. Did I buy the wrong program?

2. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Absolutely. That's one of it's strengths. You can set up to 2 banks of midi grooves (I believe it's 12 per bank, but I'm not sure) and 1 bank of midi fills to be queued up. You can then trigger different grooves or fills to play with a midi controller. You'll have the option of having the newly triggered groove or fill play immediately when triggered, on the next beat, next measure, or end of the currently playing phrase. This is a great feature as you can quickly hit the appropriate trigger anywhere in the phrase you're playing and know that the new phrase will play immediately after.

All of which is explained in the manual under the Groove Librarian section.

What app are you running it in?

rick

edit.... I just saw that you don't have a midi controller. Given this, you can still use it. Without a controller, you can have a groove repeat indefinitely and have fills added every X number of measures. If you want more grooves, you can have it randomly mix up the grooves that you've set up in the 2 banks.

3. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I'm using Sonar HT and I've read the Groove Librarian and have played around with the grooves but I'm really not seeing how I can manipulated them and peice them together. Is there something else I need like a sequencer. I have Fruity Loops to and find it to be a head ache.

4. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I updated my response above, so take a look at that as well.

When you open the Groove librarian, you'll see your groove and fill bundles on the right and left side. you can either drag entire bundles in to the banks or expand the bundles and drag in the individual grooves. In addition to that, if you have any standard midi grooves, you can just drag the midi files into the banks from explorer. Once they're in the bank, just hit the play button. You'll need to go into the options and settings to set the number of measures that pass before a fill is added.

In the top right, you'll see a big R, S, and F. Click on the R to make it repeat the groove forever, S will make it shuffle through the grooves in the banks, and F will add one of Fills in the fill bank every X number of measures.

I hope that helps.

Rick

5. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

6. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Thanks for the help. One thing I noticed is when I open BFD in Cakewalk as a VST plugin I can't change the tempo :( Kind of useless if I can't change that, so I'm wondering if I'm not doing something right. I've read that manual so many times and it seems that it assumes that I'm supposed to already know alot about midi etc.........which I don't have a clue. I have loaded Midi drum files of a favorite song but I can't get it to play the whole thing at once with the correct fills etc. If I click play with "R" it just plays the loop over and over and shuffle doesn't arrange correctly for the song.

7. onemind

onemind Member

Brent I would assume that BFD is the slave there, so Cakewalk is controlling the tempo...

8. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Onemind is correct. When I open BFD in Logic, it plays at the tempo of the host app.

If you run the stand-alone version, you should have full control of the tempo from BFD itself, but in an app, just change the song tempo.

Rick

9. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Hmmm never thought about that......that actually makes sense. I will have to try that. Thanks!

10. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Yes your absolutely right I do have control over it then but no sound until I patch it thru Cakewalk and setup midi tracks for it.

11. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

When you upload a midi drum file of a song how can I play the whole thing in the correct arrangment?

12. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

13. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

You pretty much need to use your sequencer to do this. I'm not familiar with yours, as I use Logic Pro, but you just need to import the midi arrangement to a track and assign BFD as the intrument/plugin. Again, there's very detailed, application specific, directions for this in the manual. Not trying to shrug you off at all, but it's all there in the first few pages.

Without a midi controller or a sequencer, you'll be limited to either playing one groove continuously with fills every X number of measures or shuffling through the grooves in the banks at random with the fills.

To arrange it in any particular order to fit a song, you'll need to sequence it by dragging the midi loops/grooves into your sequencer's track.

Rick

14. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Ok its making perfect sense now. I would imagine Cakewalk came with a sequencer so I'll have to play around with it. Thanks so much!

15. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

you bet. Cakewalk will have a way to sequence the part (unless you're using their Guitar Tracks program). Unfortunately I can't help with it, but I know they (BFD) dedicate a section of the manual to all the different supported apps and how to use it with them.

Good luck and let me know if you need further clarification.

It's an amazing piece of software!

Rick

16. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

BFD is amazing... great purchase!