1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

I have come to realize I have no idea how to get a good drive tone.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Msboy2011, May 19, 2011.

1. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

I have Tele with a Boss Bd-2 and Fulltone GT-500 and a Vox AC30. I need help. How do i achieve a good drive tone? I've never been happy with it. What do you guys do to get your drive tone? Settings?

2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Have you ever tried using a Hotcake?

3. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

4. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

I think they sound pret-ty good with AC30s.

5. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Thanks man. I'll check it out. I've heard good things about it.

BTW digging the Dino Feathers tunes.

6. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

hey Fellow Arizonian!

it took me a good 3-4 years to find my tone...
    one thing I learned along the way, was that a good amp is so key.
    I *hated* the Tim, and a FullDrive 2, and a bunch of other VERY worthy pedals
    all because my amp sucked. I later realized that the pedals were fine--it was my amp that was the problem.
    So with that AC30, you are halfway there! :)

I'd say start with Tube Screamer, or TS variant. Most everyone has tried one at one
    time or another. A FullDrive 2 is a GREAT TS like pedal, but you can always get a
    vintage one, or a boutique 808 screamer, or whatever.
    Everyone from Hillsongs to Stevie Ray uses a Tube Screamer.
    I've got a Blues Jr. that's modded to be Brit voiced like an AC15, and a vintage Bassman, and my Screamer sounds GREAT through both.
    So start with a screamer, and try other things too...listen to sound clips and get
    an idea of what you like. Me? I love dirt. I need one of everything. :D

7. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Aw, thanks.

8. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Set amp clean. Bass at 12:00, treble and mods between 1-2:00.
    BD2 and GT set with everything straight-up and from there turn to taste.
    Probably need less drive than you think.

Have fun.

9. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Set the pedal up to sound good with the amp. Dont set the amp up to suit the pedal.
    Plug your guitar into the amp, no pedals. Guitar up full on volume and tone. Set the amp controls to noon (flat response) and the amp volume to where it is nice and loud, but not painful to listen to. You want the amp pushing the speakers a little. Hit an open chord. For me I always set an amp up for that Malcolm Young sound. A tiny bit of breakup, nice open sound, good string articulation.
    Adjust the eq slightly. Vox amps can be interactive, so more bass can mean less treble, and thus the mids will shift. Just play with it till it sounds alive and full.
    Now bring in a pedal to take the amp from relatively clean to dirty. A Hotcake or a Rat will sound great with a Vox. Keep the volume on the pedal at least at noon, gain to taste.
    The Fulldrive is a TS clone, so can be mid heavy. A Vox already has plenty of mids, so that pedal is probably better suited to a mid scooped amp like a Fender combo.

10. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Thanks. That's the jist of what my worship leader said today. I'll explore that.

11. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Thanks. I'm pondering selling off one of my drives for a Hotcake. It's sounds good.

12. brain21

brain21 Member

Whenever I got or played with a new drive pedal, this is what I would do:

Start with the volume at unity, tone at 12 o'clock and drive at zero or 1.

Start playing and slowly turn up the drive. When you get to BEFORE where you like it, start playing with the tone. With only a little bit of grit you can tell how sensitive the tone control is. On some pedals with only a little grit adjusting the tone does almost nothing, with some the difference is very noticable. Now get the tone to where you like it. Then proceed to turning up the drive some more. Get it to where you like it (like someone else said, thats usually a lot lower than you would think). Then note where the tone knob is and play with that a little bit and see how you like it.

While you may have a preconcieved notion of what you expect the pedal to sound like thansks to youtube or whatever, remember that person in the video is likely using a different guitar and/or amp from you, so don't expect it to sound just like whats on the video. Don't have that tone in your head. It may be that with your equipment it produces a very different tone than what you heard online or whatever. If you keep that in mind and stay open-minded about it, you may even find that though the tone is not what you expected, it may actually be BETTER than what you expected. Or not. Just don't close your mind to it or get stuck in the "it doesn't sound like that so it sucks for me" mindset until you've really given the pedal a chance.

13. Msboy2011

Msboy2011 Member

Thanks. I'm going to reinvestigate my drive pedals this evening.

14. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

A stock BD2 and Fulltone GT500 are probably the least desirable tones in the Drive market.

First of all, you have to tell us what music you play and what you intend on sounding like. Are there any bands or musicians out there that you wish to sound like? That will get us in the ballpark of what your after.

From my experience, some amps like certain Drives more so than others. You could have an amazing Drive pedal that sounds killer through a test amp at the Guitar Center, but when you get home and plug it into your rig it might sound like crap.

15. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

You'll need a Gibson for that.....:omg

:sarcasm

16. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

^^^ what? BD2s sound fantastic.

17. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I find that it is best to use the amp mostly... people seem to love AC30's (I'm a Fender guy), but I find it is best to keep a MV tube amp's volume just bellow or at breakup and use OD or boost to push it into distortion, then it sounds more natural and amp-like rather than like a pedal that can only do a modest emulation of an amp. This lets you get the tone of the amp with a little help from the pedal. I am personally not a huge fan of the BD-2 either... I think there are some mods for it, the Timmy is a great (pricey) upgrade or a boost works well if you don't need a tone distortion, but that also gets into higher volumes.

18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Solid Gold Superdrive. I know IRG is using one with his Vox, so maybe he'll chime in. I recorded a band and the dude used my SD with Ric Vox combo and it killed. I use an ASAT Special (fat Tele) and BFDR-type amp. -E

19. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

I like to push the amp to get my tone. I have the amp set right before crunchy (meaning I have to hit it hard with the pick to get it to overdrive) and then push it more with my Tim (more volume then gain) use it's boost for hair and I also have my musket (again more volume then fuzz) and it's been sounding immaculate.

20. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

Aren't the GT500 and OCD the same pedal (GT500 is just the OCD with a Fat Boost)? I thought many, many people liked (or at least did like) the OCD.