I have discovered that I LOVE old 50's Fender Tweed circiuts

riffy

The Tweed circuits have become my FAVORITE type of sounds... From clean to mean... I have ALWAYS been a high gain guy and still am, but I simply LOVE the Tweed amps... I love the midrange bark. I love the looser low end and the sag at high volumes... I love the smooth high end when you get them cranked up...

I also love that glassy high end when they are just beginning to break up and when clean too...

What is a guy to do now?

Gary

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
Start building some! I built a Champ and was floored by the tone. I'm doing a 5E3 next.

vibrasonic

Dont overlook the brown guys either. I prefer the brown deluxe over the tweed. The tweeds are really special though. I have 2 tweed champs, a tweed princeton and a tweed harvard, they are amazing. There are only 2 things that keep me from buying more, the price and the nasty asbestos they put on the inside of the top back panel.

riffy

I have a Tweed Champ now and it is FLOORING me.
I want a 57 Deluxe and I do LOVE the old Brown Concerts as well!

ES350

Nothing else does that...clean or wound-up, they are more versatile than some people might think (Neil Young, Kenny Burrell, Wes, Pete Townsend, Ronnie Montrose, Hollywood Fats; there's a lot of tweed tones).

jonahstepro

Silver Supporting Member
Just thought I would chime in (haha play on words) I have a tweed deluxe for sale on the emporium right now. AMAZING sounding! Hit me up for details and if you are interested. Thanks

Onioner

Yes, I do love the Tweeds. I have a 5C2 and a 5E3. I've had a couple 5F1s before, and I will again. If I ever have the space or need, I'd be all over a Bassman too.

But I can't say I care much for the pure cleans on any of them. Gotta have at least some good hair before I'm game. Bassman does ok, but others do better. Just IMO and all.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
That's what I was going to say, don't try the browns or you'll really have a problem!

So whats the main difference between the Brown era Fenders and the Tweeds tone wise? I have had the chance to play a few Tweed type amps but no Brown type amps. Though I liked them, they generally do not fit my style. Though I sill have the desire for a 5E3 clone at some point for my home studio

How are they similar/different?

Last edited:

MRscratch

The Tweed circuits have become my FAVORITE type of sounds... From clean to mean... I have ALWAYS been a high gain guy and still am, but I simply LOVE the Tweed amps... I love the midrange bark. I love the looser low end and the sag at high volumes... I love the smooth high end when you get them cranked up...

I also love that glassy high end when they are just beginning to break up and when clean too...

What is a guy to do now?

Gary
Just went down that road Bro!! LOL im about one mile ahead of you! Get a nice little Deluxe and let her rip. It will knock your sox off!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've got a lot of different tweeds and a few different browns. Generally tweeds have more mids than browns do. Many of them don't have a clean tone in the sense of putting out little harmonic distortion, even played quietly, because the PI circuits are primitive. And many of them compress a LOT more than later amps, singing like nothing else. The Twin and Bassman, though, are more like brown amps in their later iterations and are fully capable of a LOUD and hard hitting clean...

jimbo13

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless of the hype, the tweeds really are not for everyone. I've had tweed Pros ( 56 and 48 ) and a tweed deluxe (56) and never liked them. I assume for some playing styles they work but not for me.

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
I'm down to two amps now and both are tweeds. A Victoria super and a Tungsten Bandmaster. You would have to kill me me to get them. I'm set.

Aslan

I have become a huge fan of tweed style amps with my main amp being a Victoria Ivy League (Harvard clone). Tweed amps just have a mojo about them that allows you to play the amp as much as you play your guitar. Very dynamic and expressive.

MLC

I built myself a Mission 5E3 a few years ago and it's my all-time favorite amp.
Love the fat, warm clean tones. And, of course, that push into "tweed OD land" is just a thing of beauty.

The 5E3 is perfect for the low-volume jams I do, but I'd love to have that same tone and responsiveness at the gig-levels our band plays at.
To that end, I'm saving my pennies to do a bigger tweed build - I'm thinking a Tweed Super or maybe a low-power Twin.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
The really funny thing is that one of the first tweeds i got was a '53 "TV Front" Princeton, the Octal tube type. Very sweet, but not indicative of the Golden Era of Tweed. I just got a '57 Handwired Deluxe and man I get it - this is that late 50s narrow panel tweed sound folks go gaga over. Just has so many cool quirks to get so many cool sounds, it's awesome. Pair that with my weirdo 6G10 Harvard, and I'm set for all the tweed tones i enjoy (plus a hint of the good parts of the small brownfaces thanks to the Harvard).

That said, my #1 amp is still the Blackface Pro Reverb. That's MY sound. But the tweeds are the crown princes to the King, for sure! The 5E3 is William, and the Harvard's Harry.

Aslan

Consider getting a Bad Cat Unleash when they come available in May, as long as you have a speaker in the 5E3 that will take 50-100 watts you can set your tone and edge of breakup where you what than the dial the volume up to match the gig level desired. I'm getting an Unleash for my Ivy League (Harvard Clone) as soon as they are in the stores.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom