I have never owned a guitar cable I liked...

tlgvintage

Gold Supporting Member
..and I've tried a lot over the years. A whole lot. I guess my best cables would be a techflex Sinasoid & some older tweed Lava cables I still have in service, but those are very stiff with the outer sleeving. What's your favorite basic 12ft/20ft guitar instrument cable?

M

Member 202500

There’s a local Canadian brand that uses high quality components, offers competitive pricing and lifetime warranties. I started buying their cables a few years ago and haven’t looked back.

I figure, if my sound or performance sucks, it probably has more to do with the performer than the cable.

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
One that works! I’m not kidding. But I like those pro co ones from Sweetwater, I also use their XLRs and gig regularly and there rock solid in my experience

spacevato

Been using Sommer Spirit XXL for the last ten-fifteen years or so. Sounds good, is nice and flexible, solid construction. I haven't really bothered to compare with other stuff.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a 20 foot cloth braided cable from BTPA on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It’s really nice but probably as stiff as your other ones.

BTPA woven cable

Agreed. Been buying all my cables...Sound Reinforcement and Guitar...at BTPA for years. Very happy with the service, cables and cost.

caspa

Gold Supporting Member
..and I've tried a lot over the years. A whole lot. I guess my best cables would be a techflex Sinasoid & some older tweed Lava cables I still have in service, but those are very stiff with the outer sleeving. What's your favorite basic 12ft/20ft guitar instrument cable
I strangely relate to this, the only cable I've really gotten along with is this planet waves/Daddario cable. I relate down to the tweed feeling 'almost alright' too... but this was the absolute one for me.

PWASGtr20-large.jpg.auto.webp

Liko

What's your favorite basic 12ft/20ft guitar instrument cable?

Whatever Amazon's selling for $10 as of when I need another.

Totally not kidding. I'm partial to cloth wrap as I find they tend not to kink as much as PVC/rubber jacket, and I have to be able to get into the connectors to replace or resolder them. Beyond those two basic requirements, I could not possibly care less.

I've made instrument cables out of XLR and two spare solder ends faster than I could have gotten to a GC to buy a Mogami or Monster, and for about half the price in materials. Those homemade cables have lasted longer and been at least as reliable as anything store-bought.

One tip: over-under them. The alternating coiling prevents kinks by allowing the cable to straighten as you pay it out. And on that note, only pay out what you need, at least at first. When I set up on stage I plug one end in the board, then leave the coil there while I take the other end and go back to my axe on its stand next to the amp. What pays out in that distance is more than enough to bounce around in front of the mic. When we get into more adventurous hijinks, I have more slack, but I'm not standing on all of it in the meantime. It may be a few extra seconds of work when tearing back down, but the cables coil flatter, last longer and give me fewer headaches.

Last edited:

Redblur

Silver Supporting Member
There’s a local Canadian brand that uses high quality components, offers competitive pricing and lifetime warranties. I started buying their cables a few years ago and haven’t looked back.

I figure, if my sound or performance sucks, it probably has more to do with the performer than the cable.
Sounds great. What is this wonderful company?

Mad John

Van Den Haul and Zaolla have been staple favorites of mine for 15 years.

Vans are warmer/richer.

Zaolla are cleaner with strong high end definition.

Compared to the standard cables - Pro Co , Monster , Fender - the above mentioned just blow them away for sonics from guitar to amp.

I never fully appreciated Evidence Lyric HG cable for guitar, as it sounds too hi fi for my sound.

Lava guitar cables I also dug very much back in the day.

Y.M.M.V. :cool:

Oinkus

I have a 30+ year old Whirlwind braided cable from when that whole cloth covering started and it has pretty much been retired. I started using Planet Waves American Stage when they came out and bought a bunch all still working perfectly for more than 10 years.

paydon9

Silver Supporting Member
I got a Runway Audio cable for Christmas and I'm a huge fan. It sounds great, the jacket is high quality and the cable is quite flexible. Not cheap but they'll get my money when I need another cable.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom