I have no idea what amp I want, but I want something.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

Here's what I've had/played in the past:

Fender Blues Jr / modded
    Orange Tiny Terror / modded
    Vox AC15CC
    Blackheart Little Giant / modded, 2x12
    Ceriatone 18w Marshall Clone
    Dr. Z Max 18
    Bogner Duende
    Fender Bassman Clone

I think that's all. Of those, I don't miss anything except the Ceriatone a little bit. But it didn't have enough clean. Here's what I want in an amp:

Sparkly, chimey cleans with enough clean headroom to play with a full band and not break up; takes pedals well (I'm ok with getting my drive from pedals), reverb, 1x12 combo. What in the heck do I want? I like vox/fender cleans. I'm at a loss. :worried

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

You want to go Hiwatt....

I just spent some time getting educated on them.

I have an issue where my 50 watt Marshalls are not clean enough for certain songs.

That Phase Inverter and Power Supply are key ingredients and I have made up my mind that the only thing that will do is an old, early '70's head.

Emee

3. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Nope, that sucker breaks up pretty quickly. Also, using a dirt pedal for distortion with this amp is like putting Ketchup on a Lobster!

Can you say dirt machine? Nice cleans when you roll of for sure, glorious actually, but the dirt is where it is at with the K-19.

Mike

5. Rock72

Rock72 Member

:rotflmao

What about the 65 Amps Soho (the higher watt 40w version). I have the 20w version, and it is killer.

6. larimar

larimar Member

Fender Twin Reverb might fit the bill. I know it's 2x12 but what heck.

7. m@2

m@2 Member

DRRI ? at least it's an inexpensive amp to try, plenty out there, and easy to buy and sell : )

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Sounds like another gassy day to me. lol! Bob

9. Ryan

Ryan Member

That one's on my short list.

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

12. hamfist

hamfist Member

SOund slike you might be pushing things, trying to get all that from a 1x12 cmbo. You would have a lot more options if you might be happy with a 2x12 combo or a head/cab.

You need to be trying out some Fenders (surely the Deluxe Reverb mentioned earlier would not have the clean headrooom for you), maybe SUper, Pro & twin Reverbs. Hiwatts, yes.

Seems to me that you keep trying/buying lower wattage amps (except the Bassman), which will not do what you are asking. Even the Bassman is not reknowned for it's clean headroom.

What sort of music are you hoping to play ?

13. Ryan

Ryan Member

I played a DDRI today. I liked it, but it broke up way too soon.

14. jcat

jcat Member

Hi Ryan

my short answer would be Dr Z Maserati ( voxy w/ good headroom ) , Fargen blackbird or one of the Allen 6L6 amps.
    I agree about more versatility with a head and 2X12 bottom, but a 1x12 combo w/a 1X12 ext cab is great also.
    I couldn't see where you mentioned if you favor single coil or HB guitars.
    My current joy is a early '70's bandmaster head (AB763 flavor) You can find them pretty cheaply and there are plenty of people who can mod them to your specs. For HB's, I use an el-84 matchless clone w/ tone tubby's.

15. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Talk to Jack Anderson. :)

My amp is kind of a cross between a Hiwatt and a JCM 800 with the option of using 6V6, 6L6 or EL34s making it very versatile. I run it somewhat more clean than boosted, although it does have gain too if you're pedal-less, and it takes pedals particularly well. Now the only problem is Jack has a two year waiting list, but on occasion he has amps he built that the buyer backed out on. He is also a fantastic guy.

http://www.andersonamps.com/

16. Unabender

Unabender Member

Why not try the Ceriatone 36 watter? I have a similar DIY amp and it has a more headroom than the 18 watter.

Ceriatone's 38w version looks a bit different to the 18 watt version (slightly diffferent preamp), though. But I guess the tone would still be there.

17. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I was just sitting in with a guy who play pedal steel with a "BEAT UP" Fender Twin and it was Loud, Clean, Hanging Tone, WOW He used the second input and cracked way open!!! Man it was LOUD well over the drummer he dialed it back to around 6 and it was still a little loud.. I Bass Player.

18. Peppy

Peppy Member

If it could be a 1 X 15" combo the '64 Vibroverb Custom (not a reissue by the way) by Fender will do exactly what you want. Works decent with both single coil pickups and humbucking pickups. Can run 40 watts or 50 watts (for added headroom). Not inexpensive but you gave no budget.

19. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Get a Zinky Blue Velvet 25watt Combo (1x12)

El84 driven, great chime, great master volume, clean channel is amazing, OD channel is amazing, reverb is definitely acceptable.........just got rid of an AC30 for it. I have had the Vox and a Super reverb and I would take the tone of this amp anyday.

They are relatively inexpensive as well. Check ebay first, but I think you can get a new one for around $1000.

20. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Tried a Shiva?