I have played all the big muff clones, and the truth as I see it

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jul 23, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

None of them can beat the tone of a good EHX Big Muff. Now I agree EHX quality is hit or miss, but find a good one and the boutique cloners just cannot touch em. The Boutique cloners are making really nice cases, nice added options true bypass etc. But tonally they come about 10% off in my book. There are some great pedals out there, some really good ones but then you just plug in one of these great old EHX muffs and the truth bangs you in the head. :Spank

I wonder how sales of the muff clones will be affected by the new EHX Little big muff. Its true bypass, hammond style enclosure so its nice and small, led, standard DC jack, and seems pretty solid.

I picked up a Little big muff and the mojo is there, I am not sure how these tiny little surface mounted components fair in tone, some people claim they dont have the tone due to size? I am not sure it seems to be getting the job done. This pedal in my opinion keeps up pretty closely to a vintage triangle muff, I might even like this one better. There are some differences, mainly the new one has a bit more gain and is tighter, but still I think I prefer even this guy over any of the clones I searched out.

Anyone agree, disagree, etc.

2. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

Just curious to which Big Muff clones you have tried.
    Is'nt the little Big Muff a different circuit than the other EH Big Muffs?

DIECHEATO likes this.
  3. sssmile

sssmile Member

I can't actually name one I haven't tried. I dont want to slag any builders as none of the clones were bad pedals. In fact all of them were killer, just in an A/B comparison even blindfolded a good muff had a bit more mojo.

4. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

Cool enough.
    I may have to give the Little BM a shot.

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

All the different versions sound different. We are working on several varieties of mods on the little big muff. The little big muff is darker and deeper than most. The 1st version we perfected it to mod it into the NYC reissue specs. We sent two of those to Jack White last week as he was flattening the NYC big muffs when he stomped on them.

The old triangle big muffs were the best to me, going to be very tough to get that sound without changing at least SOME transistors.

Nwlp∅, sanfi4u and CodeMonk like this.
  6. b_rad

b_rad Supporting Member

They have't been affected at all as far as I can tell. If somebody wants the boutique quality of a Skreddy or an ICBM, they're still gonna buy a Skreddy or ICBM. Not to say that the LBMs aren't doing well, they're doing great, but I think there's room for both.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I would like to try Huckleberry from ToneFactor, cross between a Fuzz Face and a Big Muff Pi or in between, depending where the tone control is set... I really like Hellbilly that functions similarly (only Rangemaster vs. Fuzz Face w/ germanium -> silicon) and the other two pedals I have from ToneFactor that Bob McBroom built and Brad who runs TF is a nice guy and runs the type of operation I like to support.

8. sssmile

sssmile Member

analogman you have to agree that the triangle does rock, however the differences between the original triangle and the LBM is not miles apart. They seem like brothers to me, whit again a bit more gain and a bit tighter on the LBM. I also agree that the LBM might be a tad darker, just a tad. Can you please tell me, does the small tiny surface mounted parts sound different than their larger counterparts? Is this an issue at all?

9. analogmike

the triangle has CLARITY that no other one has, which is why Gilmour uses it still.

The TYPE of parts (surface mount vs through hole) does not really make a difference on the little big muff. The surface mount transistors are about the same as the ones they have been using for years. The VALUES of the parts (i.e. uF for caps or ohms for resistors) determines the basic sound, gain, and frequency response. And the transistor types can change the sound a little bit too, which is why the old ones sounded so good.

Have fun!

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

My first pedal was a Russian Big Muff... I wish I still had it, I had just started playing and it didn't really do anything with a solid state amp and I had no idea that it would be something I should have kept (doh!)....

11. moodog

moodog Member

12. sandman

sandman Member

So, Jack White's using stock NYC Big Muff? The fact the LED was blue lead some of us to believe it was modified.

13. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Any pics of Jack Whites Muff with the blue LED?

14. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

What about Gilmours Cornish P1 & P2??

15. analogmike

Jacks big muff was painted red but he did not say it had any mods, the LED seems to have been added though as his was a pre-LED model:

[​IMG]

David Gilmour went back to the old triangle big muff, he does not like the Cornish muff as much.

[​IMG]

16. sandman

sandman Member

17. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Im with mike - Ive been messing with the circuit for years and have found no way to get to the ampy tone of my triangle without the original trannies, which Ive found to be VERY hard to come by.

18. sssmile

sssmile Member

i also agree with mike the triangle just has a bit of something extra. Thats why the LBM is such a good deal, noone right now is building a bigmuff with the triangle trannies. The LBM gets you in the ballpark really close, but its cheap $60. Why buy a clone when even they can't get the trannies needed to make the "real" deal.

19. MrSage

MrSage Member

20. sandman

sandman Member

sorry, but I'm confused.If LBM is similar to triangle Muff does it mean it has more clarity? I thought it was muddier than NYC Muff..? :confused: